Ugh...considering Twitter

Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I dont really know why...i just got a new fancy phone so everything integrated so smoothly and was wondering if there is ANY real value to being on twitter and if there was anyone worth following or is this just another thing I am going to get sucked into and unproductively waste my time.
Thoughts?
Thanks Team.
"The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I dont really know why...i just got a new fancy phone so everything integrated so smoothly and was wondering if there is ANY real value to being on twitter and if there was anyone worth following or is this just another thing I am going to get sucked into and unproductively waste my time.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks Team.

ashton kutcher is going to the beach today..just thought you needed to know
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I dont really know why...i just got a new fancy phone so everything integrated so smoothly and was wondering if there is ANY real value to being on twitter and if there was anyone worth following or is this just another thing I am going to get sucked into and unproductively waste my time.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks Team.

ashton kutcher is going to the beach today..just thought you needed to know

:lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • neily is going to smoke a stogie
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I like Facebook, but I think Twitter is really stupid.
    M.Y.T.H. is belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear.

"If you love someone set them free ... if someone loves you don´t fuck up" - EV
  • Its just something dumb you are going to get sucked into
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i have a fancy new phone and don't use twitter, or even the face book app that is on it.

btw, what phone did you get
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Twitter is much better than facebook, but only follow comedy things like the onion and funny or die, things like that, don't follow your friends who think they're celebrities like facebook, and have to tell you about their mundane lives like on facebook.
  • I can see the value of using Twitter to follow comapnies, stores, news outlets, etc to get the latest news and deals out there.

I can see how following a friend would just be time consuming and not worth it...unless you just need to know their every thought and action.

That said, I don't use Twitter.
  • 81 wrote:
    i have a fancy new phone and don't use twitter, or even the face book app that is on it.

btw, what phone did you get

Got the Droid X. I got the first android phone when it came out, the G1, but obviously phones 2 years later are insanely more powerful and its a huge screen which is sweet. Some interface things i dont love but probably because Im used to the htc platform and will adjust.

I guess I can try Twitter and try to strictly stick to the app on the phone instead of spending time on the site which probably sucks up more time.

Thanks people.

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
    welcome to the world of Super Phones. :D

best thing about the X and EVO etc vs. the Icrap is the ability to stream PJ radio. :mrgreen:

I've had the EVO since July 1. It's awesome. Make sure you adjust your settings so that crap like facebook, twitter, email, stocks etc aren't always self updating. or latitude is running. that stuff will chew up your battery fast.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I dont really know why...i just got a new fancy phone so everything integrated so smoothly and was wondering if there is ANY real value to being on twitter and if there was anyone worth following or is this just another thing I am going to get sucked into and unproductively waste my time.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks Team.

I would like to join your twitter feed on the differences between productive and unproductive wastages of time (please enlighten me on the difference between these)
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I need to get into twitter too for an online business.....I know nothing about it at all.....such a pain in the arse.....I really don't want to do it.....but people keep asking me "are you on twitter?" :|
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I can see the value of using Twitter to follow comapnies, stores, news outlets, etc to get the latest news and deals out there.

I can see how following a friend would just be time consuming and not worth it...unless you just need to know their every thought and action.

That said, I don't use Twitter.

Assuming said friend tweets about their every thought and action. :P

I like Twitter for news, links and sorta keeping in touch with friends (though it seems to be just one friend at the moment :lol: ).

It can be time consuming and boring, but it can also be fun, it all depends on who you follow. You see, you don't have to follow everyone. ;)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I need to get into twitter too for an online business.....I know nothing about it at all.....such a pain in the arse.....I really don't want to do it.....but people keep asking me "are you on twitter?" :|

Well just do it then and learn as you go. :) It's not that difficult and you can get out if it all goes arseways. :lol:

I think the tricky part (for businesses, I reckon) is building your "following". But as time goes on, and you keep at it, it oughta be ok.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • today would be a good day to attract new users.... http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9bP80s/ww ... mouse.html
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I signed up for an account to follow some comedians, but they tweet every freaking thing so I stopped following them. I have never 'tweeted' anything and have had the account for over a year....the last time I logged on, I had a follower.... :? Don't even know who the person is...I'm a little creeped out.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I follow @KFUCKINGP (Kenny Powers)
  • I follow @KFUCKINGP (Kenny Powers)

cant wait for that return!

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'd love someone to explain how it's ok to post here and not twitter or facebook...it's the internet kids...it's all the same tubes :P :lol:

but if for nothing else, you should be on twitter for the sulk :mrgreen:
    if i tweeted, would you follow me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    if i tweeted, would you follow me.

4 real.

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Thoughts?
    Thanks Team.

The value in twitter for me is following news worthy entities such as journalists and even some insiders in athletics such as coaches of my favorite teams. To use as a news source like that, it is much better than facebook.

I have not posted one "tweet" and I do not follow anyone who is just a person and not someone who will likely be tweeting something I care about.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    For sports news (following teams/journalists) and music as well as comedy and humor, Twitter is great and usually faster than CNN, MSNBC, etc...

I don't tweet a lot nor follow friends... daily humor & sports news - maybe breaking world news...

I find facebook to be too "journal" like - my wife loves it - bores me...

Twitter = people I wish I went to high school with
    Facebook = people I went to high school with and trying to hide from
    :)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • I was vehemently against using Twitter for the longest time and I finally relented. It's not bad! I like it actually because it's just short little blips from people you want to read from. Can also sign up on Twitter pages for good travel/food/shopping deals, and I follow a bunch of designers that provide great tips. Also use it for marketing :)

It's all what you make out of it really, and that applies to everything.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Don't bother. I don't do it because I'm pretty sure my friends aren't interested in the minutia of my everyday life
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13