Cheapest Best Value Loop Pedal

Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
edited February 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for a loop pedal that is low-end cost, but will work well for live gigs. My band is just me and a drummer, so I'm looking for a inexpensive live layering tool.

and suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Digitech JamMan Solo and Boss RC-2 Loop Station are the two choices in the "affordable" category. Read the reviews on places like Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, and Harmony Central, and then bite the bullet.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • here is an old thread about loopers with some pretty knowledgeable people in there. i don't know much about them but this thread might help you out....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33887
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
    thanks
  • I recently got the jamman solo. I do recommend it. It costs 200. But you really need the external footswitch to switch loops for live, and that is additional 40. So the jamman solo with footswitch is right around 250. For 300 you can get the jamman stereo. That has the up/down footswitch built in, and gives you the ability to run it out stereo, and i believe some other delay effects. Both have equal time capacities. Each has over 35 minutes of looping storage out of the box, and with sd card you get 16 hours.

It can be a little tricky live. And your drummer has to be solid. There is an option to run a headphone out to the drummer so he can hear it better.

You can also pre-record your loops and they will be perfect. You can pre-set a intro,verse,chorus, bridge parts onto 4 different numbers, then scroll back and forth during the performance. The loops automatically goes to the next one when the first loop ends. It is sweet.

There are good drum sounds on the jamman. And it is easy to set the drum level with your performance or recording, and shut it off for live.

I have used it live on at least 7 gigs now. All different stuff. Acoustic duo gigs, where it is me and my wife. I play acoustic and sing, and she sings. I have for YEARS wanted to solo over simple rhythm loops that I have always had to play through cause of the situation. In that setting it works GREAT!

I used it with my student all-star band (I run a music school). We did "Paradise City" and I looped the big chords in the intro (live) and the played the lead over top. WOrked perfect. Used it again on that song for the end jam. Looped the rhythm parts then jammed out leads til the end! :) :twisted:

There have been a few times in live jams where I didnt hit the loop totally right, or simply misstepped a que . In those cases I either gave up the loop and added solo for that part, or extend it and try again.

I really want to master the live looping. But if I loaded it with preset loops in perfect time, that would kill.

Overall, the jamman series of loopers are awesome. It is a part of a dream come true for live situations. The solo model is not perfect, but it is a very good step. Stereo is prob better, I'm not big fan of external footswitch (but if you get the solo YOU WILL ABSOLUTLEY NEED IT)

I am half computer video illiterate, but I will try and post a PJ themed example!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
    I just want to bump this thread to than you all for your suggestions. I wound up buying the Boss Rc-2 and although its the most simple model out of all the Boss and Digitech loopers, the sound it produces live is really great!

thanks again,
    Greg
  • Digitech JamMan Solo and Boss RC-2 Loop Station are the two choices in the "affordable" category. Read the reviews on places like Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, and Harmony Central, and then bite the bullet.

+1
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....