firing band members....

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
edited November 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
with the text to movie video of stone telling ed how he fired dave a making the rounds on the other forums i was thinking about this...i was at some prewedding festivities this evening with my band. our drummer gets married tomorrow and we are all in the wedding, so we were sitting around reminiscing about how we formed and got together 8 years ago and the subject of our original singer came up. he was a pretty decent friend of mine and he was a talented singer but he just did not fit what our band was going for at the time. he also did not get along very well with our bass player who was acting as our manager at the time, and we used to get frustrated because he would never be prepared for practice or anything. he would show up without lyrics and he would forget the ones he wrote or learned at the prior practices..eventually the guys wanted to fire him and since he was my friend, i had to do the "honors". our bass player was like "he is your friend, you fire him..." i was like "no way man, i can't do that to this guy i have known for 5 years"....and i was pretty much pressured into doing it. it was a difficult thing to do, and i was really uncomfortable doing it. i know it really hurt his feelings, but i broke it to him as gently and constructively as i could have, but how can you nicely tell someone the guys do not want you in the band anymore? it was really awkward when he came to our rehearsal space to get his pa and guitars and stuff. he was very angry and my friendship with him really suffered after that. i would call him to go out with us on weekends like we always had before and he never returned my calls. about a year after that he went to a club we were playing and was really surprised to see us up on the stage. he did not know our name so he randomly showed up. we all talked to him for a few minutes between sets but it was really awkward. he said he was happy for what we had accomplished and stuff but i can tell it really pained him to say that. he did not stick around for the whole show and i have not seen or heard from him since that night.

has anyone on here ever had to fire anybody in their band? if so how did it go down and how did you feel about it? i know our band is better because i fired him, but 8 years later i still feel really bad about it.
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I was once "fired" from band. But they did it Pink Floyd-style. One day they just stopped calling me for rehearsals and that was it. But I really understood that they had to do it. I was playing in three bands at the time and simply didn't have the time to devote myself properly to the band, so they had to let me go. But it all worked out ok, I guess. I'm still very good friends with the singer and run into the rest of them from time to time. No hard feelings.
  • I think I posted on here, back in 2007, but I was booted from my band for "having too much gear". Interestingly enough, my ex-girlfriend (then girlfriend) was the lover interest of our drummer. The band broke up shortly thereafter. That was a band I put together and started but I bounced back.

Just recently I almost had to boot out a member and a best friend of 18 years. He would never practice or take care of his gear. He often skipped practices and couldn't make shows. I was in a tight spot but after a year or so of tip-toeing around the subject, he came to me and said he wasn't feeling music, anymore. Guess I dodged a bullet there!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i've been there...but it's a crazy story.

we were a 3 piece---me on guitar/vocals, a drummer & a bass player. the drummer & i knew that it wasn't working out with our bass player, but we wanted to stick it out & see if he'd change his attitude. he was very controlling and had dollar signs in his eyes---that's all he cared about, where all the drummer & i cared about was making music and playing live shows...money didn't matter at all to us.

without me being aware of it, our drummer placed an ad in an online musicians forum in our city saying that we were looking for a new bass player. our bassist responded to it acting dumb & saying that he was younger than he was, lied about his gear, etc just so we wouldn't be suspicious. so, the drummer responded to his email with our names & web address so he (the "potential" bassist) could check it out & see what he thought of the music. he also asked him to name some originals & covers for him to learn that we could try out at a later date. that's when i found out about it & immediately felt bad for our bassist. i told our drummer that there was a good chance that he saw the ad---he wasn't worried b/c we lived in a big city and there were dozens of wanted ads placed every day.

well, he saw it. he emailed us both saying that he knew a lot of our songs already...and proceeded to name off EVERY ONE of them that we'd ever played or rehearsed. it was a messy situation...and we still had 5-7 shows booked without a bassist. what a crazy time, man.....we had to drive to his house (where we rehearsed sometimes) and pick up some gear. he & i almost got into it...thankfully, cooler heads prevailed.

so we played White Stripes style for a few shows, then found a lead guitarist & bassist. we had a good run, then broke up when i moved after getting married. i still feel bad about how it all went down.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • thanks for sharing your stories guys. it helps me see things in another light. my former singer must have taken a long time to get over it because he loved playing music with us. i don't like how people can laugh at that video i referenced in my original post because i am sure that dave a was devestated when he got fired. to see pearl jam go on and be as successful as they are must be very hard for him. i know dave mustaine struggled with being fired from metallica for the last 26 plus years, so it can be difficult and painful for everyone involved...

• savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hey guys, Some sad stories there.... :cry:

I had to leave my band recently, and that was not cool. I hated ringing the guys individually saying i was leaving

i find a band can be a lot like a marriage. Hard work, but rewarding, but always worth doing.
  • savman wrote:
    Hey guys, Some sad stories there.... :cry:

I had to leave my band recently, and that was not cool. I hated ringing the guys individually saying i was leaving

i find a band can be a lot like a marriage. Hard work, but rewarding, but always worth doing.
    i am sorry you had to leave your band. i can only imagine how hard it was to call all of them. i am not sure what would be worse for me, actually speaking the words "i am leaving the band" or waiting for the reactions from 4 or 5 people individually...

and i think you are right about it being like a marriage.
    unfortunately i have been better about keeping my band together than keeping my relationships together...

• Interesting story, Gimme. This is an unfortunate part of band politics.

It's always a bad sign if certain members are unprepared for their duties. There is an overall responsibility to each other, to the music, and to your fans. I once fired a drummer who would show up hungover to practices and shows. The funny thing was, none of the rest of us drank, at least not enough to get messed up. We felt as though he was weighing us down, holding us back. Being in a band is hard and sometimes you have to do what's best for everyone.

From what you've described, you did make the right choice. I guess how you go about salvaging the friendship is up to you. It's been sometime since my situation took place, and we're great friends. Maybe all it will take is a phone call and going out for a beer.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I did once and it was awesome. The guy was just the most arrogant prick you could hope to not meet.

We were preppin for a battle of the bands and the drummers brother in law was gonna be moving into town and taking over. The original singer could see the writing on the wall, but wanted to play one last show(b.o.t.b.), claiming he got it for us, even though he basically just found out about and then forgot to send an email back to get us a definite spot.

Anyway, about a month out from the show we decided all this and got together to jam and get the best possible set. It was fine playing, but everybody was just absolutely not feeling it at that point. After he left I brought up the elephant in the room and just said he's gotta go. Everybody agreed, but I had to make the call. It went somethin like this. "Hey 'singer', I think we're just gonna go ahead and move on for the battle." He said ok and hung up the phone.

Another funny day with that cocksucker, he was talkin on the phone to his lady and they were in the midst of breaking up, he snuck out to tallk on his phone and another dude in the band snuck his(douchebag's) wireless mic outside and set it on a jeep tire and we were listening to/recording it inside.

We've had a couple drummers quit recently. Both times it was quite amicable, aside from the disappointment of lacking a drummer. Once, with a lifelong buddy just as were getting back going, he just couldn't handle the 1 day a week jamming, even though he seems to hang out more now than he did then.
  • I too was booted from a band I started in Minneapolis in the early 90's...I was guitarist and lead singer...I was fired because I was developing a pretty mean drug habit and it started to have an impact on our live shows...this was also the time when Korn & Limp Bizkit were breaking and the lead guitarist and co-founder of the band wanted to start playing that style of music...then Rage happened and he held a band meeting and announced that he was getting a subscription to the New York Times so he could get material to write "politically relevant" lyrics...I showed up to rehearsal one day and started tuning-up and everyone just sat there....I knew it was over at that point....I told them I'd come get my shit in the next day or two and they told me I had to take it right then and there and hand over my keys...they unloaded all my gear on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building on Loring Park and said they'd be "in touch" it was 2 weeks before my 25th birthday...I had to call and cancel 10 gigs that afternoon...Brian and I wrote songs in his apartment for an entire year before we even got a rehearsal space or started auditioning other musicians...music was my entire life...we recorded 4 full-length albums and an EP, played well over 100 shows, opened for Mudhoney and Veruca Salt, played in 8 different states, were an inch away from signing to Matador, and then it was just gone, like that....I have never heard from or spoke to any of them since that day...I lost all my friends immediately....all the 'hangers-on' chose sides and I was on the outs...a few guys really wanted me in their band, but I had been stung so badly I couldn't do it anymore...I kicked drugs, shaved my head and focussed on my 'real' job...I played for the first time since then on a stage a year ago at our company Christmas party...it was surreal, but not in a good way...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • I too was booted from a band I started in Minneapolis in the early 90's...I was guitarist and lead singer...I was fired because I was developing a pretty mean drug habit and it started to have an impact on our live shows...this was also the time when Korn & Limp Bizkit were breaking and the lead guitarist and co-founder of the band wanted to start playing that style of music...then Rage happened and he held a band meeting and announced that he was getting a subscription to the New York Times so he could get material to write "politically relevant" lyrics...I showed up to rehearsal one day and started tuning-up and everyone just sat there....I knew it was over at that point....I told them I'd come get my shit in the next day or two and they told me I had to take it right then and there and hand over my keys...they unloaded all my gear on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building on Loring Park and said they'd be "in touch" it was 2 weeks before my 25th birthday...I had to call and cancel 10 gigs that afternoon...Brian and I wrote songs in his apartment for an entire year before we even got a rehearsal space or started auditioning other musicians...music was my entire life...we recorded 4 full-length albums and an EP, played well over 100 shows, opened for Mudhoney and Veruca Salt, played in 8 different states, were an inch away from signing to Matador, and then it was just gone, like that....I have never heard from or spoke to any of them since that day...I lost all my friends immediately....all the 'hangers-on' chose sides and I was on the outs...a few guys really wanted me in their band, but I had been stung so badly I couldn't do it anymore...I kicked drugs, shaved my head and focussed on my 'real' job...I played for the first time since then on a stage a year ago at our company Christmas party...it was surreal, but not in a good way...
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I am glad you kicked the addictions, though
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • yeah, the fucked thing was this...the first time I did heroin, it wasn't even my choice...a chick shot it into a cigarete and gave it to me without me even knowing..then my brother sent me 1/4 pound of it when he was trying to kick...he thought I'd be able to sell it to finance our first record, but I ended up doing it all myself...Brian (the co-founder of our band) got pissed that I kept it all to myself and wouldn't share it with him, as he was very interested in exploring it with me....I was trying to be 'noble' and shield him from it, but I guess I was just fooling myself in the end.......as far as I know, he never got into it, but, unfortunately, I most certainly did...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • yeah, the fucked thing was this...the first time I did heroin, it wasn't even my choice...a chick shot it into a cigarete and gave it to me without me even knowing..then my brother sent me 1/4 pound of it when he was trying to kick...he thought I'd be able to sell it to finance our first record, but I ended up doing it all myself...Brian (the co-founder of our band) got pissed that I kept it all to myself and wouldn't share it with him, as he was very interested in exploring it with me....I was trying to be 'noble' and shield him from it, but I guess I was just fooling myself in the end.......as far as I know, he never got into it, but, unfortunately, I most certainly did...

wow. :|
    www.cluthelee.com