Joaquin Phoenix weirdness all an act: Casey Affleck

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Casey Affleck, the directory of the new film that documents JP's new rap career, has admitted it was all one big hoax (HUGE SHOCKER! :roll: ), and that it was Joaquin's performance of his career.

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/movies/ ... d=25606376

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Casey Affleck is admitting to what many critics suspected all along: His documentary about Joaquin Phoenix was a fake.

The film, "I'm Still Here," followed Phoenix as he announced he was retiring from acting and launching a rap career.

The "Walk the Line" star grew doughy and disheveled, and he famously made an awkward appearance on David Letterman's show.

Affleck, who's Phoenix's brother-in-law and the film's director, now tells The New York Times that the whole thing was an act, calling it "the performance of his career." Affleck says he even faked home movies of Phoenix as a child.

But he insists he never meant to trick anyone, and rather was dabbling in "gonzo filmmaking."

Some critics called it a fascinating look at celebrity. Others assumed it was all staged.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i was disappointed, i hoped he really was losing it. :(
  • i was disappointed, i hoped he really was losing it. :(
    me too. JP is total douche
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • wanted to see it to
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    Yeah, big surprise. :roll:
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Paul David wrote:
    But he insists he never meant to trick anyone, and rather was dabbling in "gonzo filmmaking."

It's really not Gonzo film making at all, it's kinda funny if at all, but I liked Joaquin better when he was called Sacha Baron Cohen, Bruno was Gonzo film making, what a surprise another Affleck rips someone off at the movie theater.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    marcos wrote:
    Paul David wrote:

It's really not Gonzo film making at all, it's kinda funny if at all, but I liked Joaquin better when he was called Sacha Baron Cohen, Bruno was Gonzo film making, what a surprise another Affleck rips someone off at the movie theater.

Don't tell me you didn't like Gigli...
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Paul David wrote:
    Casey Affleck, the directory of the new film that documents JP's new rap career, has admitted it was all one big hoax (HUGE SHOCKER! :roll: ), and that it was Joaquin's performance of his career.

Agree or disagree with the whole thing, what I come away with is that this is probably the most publicly committed anyone has been to his craft since Andy Kaufman.

And no, I'm not interested in seeing the movie. I thought Gladiator was a genuine disappointment all around, but Phoenix, specifically, was the weakest part of that movie. Like him fine in Signs, but just :ppppp in Gladiator.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • if I was Letterman, I'd be kinda pissed off that he used my legitimate talk show as a "performance vehicle".
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Paul David wrote:

Agree or disagree with the whole thing, what I come away with is that this is probably the most publicly committed anyone has been to his craft since Andy Kaufman.

And no, I'm not interested in seeing the movie. I thought Gladiator was a genuine disappointment all around, but Phoenix, specifically, was the weakest part of that movie. Like him fine in Signs, but just :ppppp in Gladiator.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Paul David wrote:
    if I was Letterman, I'd be kinda pissed off that he used my legitimate talk show as a "performance vehicle".

Which one. Kaufman or Phoenix? I don't think it was a coincidence.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Paul David wrote:
    if I was Letterman, I'd be kinda pissed off that he used my legitimate talk show as a "performance vehicle".

Letterman was in on it. If you watch the outro of the interview Pheonix comes out of character by taking off his glasses leans into Letterman's ear and the mic picks up Pheonix saying, "Good job."

Letterman has done stuff like this before with Kaufman and Crispin Glover, not to mention I think Letterman would be the last to consider his show as a 'legitimate talk show'.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Paul David wrote:

Letterman was in on it. If you watch the outro of the interview Pheonix comes out of character by taking off his glasses leans into Letterman's ear and the mic picks up Pheonix saying, "Good job."

Letterman has done stuff like this before with Kaufman and Crispin Glover, not to mention I think Letterman would be the last to consider his show as a 'legitimate talk show'.

This makes sense, because i was suprised by how rude Dave was that night, even Paul, it was just out of character for both of them.
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    I say big deal if Phoenix was faking it.

It's interesting, but I he can do what he wants to or for his career. It's actually kind of funny to me.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    Paul David wrote:

plus the ratings were good for that show and the subsequent re-airings.
    www.myspace.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    well duh casey.. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Paul David wrote:

and exactly how dumb do you think letterman is??? he knew and he allowed it. last time i checked joachim phoenix was an ACTOR... hellllllllooooooooooooooo.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • No way!! I can't believe it...
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I'm not surprised.

And just so you all know, I've been faking weirdness all along too.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • easy cate. if I was calling Letterman dumb, I'd be calling myself the same thing, cause at that point I was fooled. It was when I found out he was FILMING his career changet that I figured it out. How do you KNOW that Letterman knew, exactly?
    Paul David wrote:

and exactly how dumb do you think letterman is??? he knew and he allowed it. last time i checked joachim phoenix was an ACTOR... hellllllllooooooooooooooo.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • So this is important news to whom :roll: :roll: it doesn't make or brake my day ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • So this is important news to whom :roll: :roll: it doesn't make or brake my day ..

Good thing all news doesnt have to be important. Keeps the world light.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    you werent in on it so if you were fooled then phoenix did his job and he did it well.

i KNOW letterman knew, as much as id know if it was my show. letterman is a savvy guy. guests are researched. phoenix was on the show to promote himself and he did just that. he just went about it differently.

Paul David wrote:
    easy cate. if I was calling Letterman dumb, I'd be calling myself the same thing, cause at that point I was fooled. It was when I found out he was FILMING his career changet that I figured it out. How do you KNOW that Letterman knew, exactly?
    Paul David wrote:

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • well then Letterman did one helluva job too! 8-)
    you werent in on it so if you were fooled then phoenix did his job and he did it well.

i KNOW letterman knew, as much as id know if it was my show. letterman is a savvy guy. guests are researched. phoenix was on the show to promote himself and he did just that. he just went about it differently.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Yeah. No shit.
    good. were in agreeance then. ;) :P :mrgreen:
    Paul David wrote:
    well then Letterman did one helluva job too! 8-)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    i was disappointed, i hoped he really was losing it. :(

he does play that role well
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • apparently he's on Letterman again tomorrow night (Wednesday Sept 22).
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Paul David wrote:
    apparently he's on Letterman again tomorrow night (Wednesday Sept 22).

Seeing this thing come full circle might just be worth it...
  • watched it, and Letterman made him say that he wasn't in on it. Letterman was adamant that he knew nothing in advance, but figured it out when he found out Casey Affleck was filming it.

the funniest part of the interview? It's a big joke with Joaquin and Casey that the film is doing very poorly, and Dave was bugging him for a million dollars since the original interview is in the film. Joaquin said "ok, well, can we talk about this in private?" to which Dave replied "sure, we'll go to one of your screenings".

Awesome. I honestly think it's entirely possible that Dave really didn't know.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    Paul David wrote:
    watched it, and Letterman made him say that he wasn't in on it. Letterman was adamant that he knew nothing in advance, but figured it out when he found out Casey Affleck was filming it.

the funniest part of the interview? It's a big joke with Joaquin and Casey that the film is doing very poorly, and Dave was bugging him for a million dollars since the original interview is in the film. Joaquin said "ok, well, can we talk about this in private?" to which Dave replied "sure, we'll go to one of your screenings".

Awesome. I honestly think it's entirely possible that Dave really didn't know.

good interview. i guess dave didn't know. but there's no way of knowing for sure.

at one point in the interview phoenix said something like "you haven't seen it? you're like the only one. everyone's seen it." :lol: i didn't realize it was doing poorly and i thought he sounded pretty conceited. jeagler completely missed that sarcasm :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com