Is chicken pox still around?

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Do kids get chicken pox anymore? I never hear anything about it. I'm 30, I had it when I was 5. My wife had it twice. I never hear about it anymore.
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They still give shots for it... Went with my 5 year old this week for it, but I have not heard of a case in our community and none of my kids have got it...

Although it does seem like shingles (basically adult chicken pox) in adults is occuring a lot more frequently... 3 people in my immediate family have suffered from it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Na, we took care of that problem back when we cured cancer, AIDS, herpes, and plugged that hole in the ozone layer. No worries.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=13132054

Zionsville - The Indiana Department of Health is taking immediate steps to stop an outbreak of chicken pox in Zionsville Community High School. Those efforts could keep hundreds of students out of school next week if they don't get the proper vaccinations.

Somewhere between 300 and 600 students in Zionsville may need the required vaccinations. What's happening in Zionsville could be an indication of what could happen in communities across Indiana as a state-mandated deadline for new vaccinations takes effect in ten days.

Students who don't have the required varicella vaccination will not be allowed to attend class Monday. Nine students and two faculty members are ill with chicken pox.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Do parents still give 'chicken pox parties'?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I didn't know they vaccinated for it. I thought you just got it and then you immune.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 wrote:
    I didn't know they vaccinated for it. I thought you just got it and then you immune.
    Oh yeah, 3 shots, each annually from like the age of 3-5...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    some lady at work's grandkid had it a couple of weeks back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    know1 wrote:

it's all part of the master plan. google pussification of america and you will find it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    know1 wrote:

it's all part of the master plan. google pussification of america and you will find it

Exactly. Either that or it's just another way to throw more money at pharmaceutical companies.

What's wrong with letting the kids actually GET chicken pox like we all used to?

Besides, isn't the threat of 15% of the school catching it and allowing just one more opportunity to close schools enough of a reason to not vaccinate?

Anymore, the wind can shift directions and they close the schools.

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    edited September 2010
    It's definitely still around, but most school districts (at least in my area) require the vaccine in order for children to start school and that's cut down the number of cases.

My wife is an RN in a ER and they see a few people come in with chicken pox every year.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    know1 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Exactly. Either that or it's just another way to throw more money at pharmaceutical companies.

What's wrong with letting the kids actually GET chicken pox like we all used to?
    4and20 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pox_party
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    It's not herpes if it's everywhere.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    know1 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    know1 wrote:

What money is to be made in THAT?
  • know1 wrote:

When you've had chicken pox, that virus (a type of herpes) remains in your body the rest of your life. You won't have another episode of chicken pox but you will be at risk for shingles, which is the other way that the virus shows up. If you've never known anyone with shingles, it's a very painful condition that's difficult to treat.

I'm no fan of Big Pharma but it's a good idea to prevent people from ever being infected with the virus in the first place.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Yes it is....but you don't hear about it as much though.

I only got vaccinated a year ago. My bf is going to get done soon. We've both never had it.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    In the UK we don't vaccinate for it. Everyone just makes sure their kid catches it so they wont get it as an adult and get shingles.

Kind of the opposite of closing the school down here ... if a kid has it all the parents take their kids around to visit :lol:

Know I caught at a birthday party where an infected kid was invited and told to not stay home 'cause they had it :twisted:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    http://www.nfid.org/pdf/factsheets/varicellaadult.pdf

all you wanted to know and more.

i for one look forward to my shingle overlord
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Here you have to pay to vaccinate against Chicken Pox, and nobody really does. It went through my daughters daycare 3 times and her class at school this year and she still hasn't had it. I still have a scar on my forehead from when I was 6.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited September 2010
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I only got vaccinated a year ago. My bf is going to get done soon. We've both never had it.

how topical.. my boy is doing a research project on chickenpox for PD/H/PE atm.

its one of those diseases you tend only to hear about if you have kids of the age or if you work with kids or of course in the health services.

the only person in our household who hasnt had it is the toddlermonster and i think shes had the varicella immunisation.

i had it when i was 7. my oldest had it around the same age and she infected her sister and her father. as well as a couple of our grown up friends. the adults were knocked around by it a bit. it was a surprise to e at the time that theyd not had chickenpox before. my 2 youngest have had it as well and naturally one gave it to the other.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    4and20 wrote:

did you get that from a Simpsons episode where Maggie had them and Homer & Marge threw a pox party.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    4and20 wrote:

did you get that from a Simpsons episode where Maggie had them and Homer & Marge threw a pox party.

you get your kid to hang around with anyone suspected of having chickenpox. or you hope theyve been playing with the infected child.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I had to have proof of the varicella vaccination or a titer in order to work in the hospital. Even back in nursing school, couldn't set a foot in the door without it. And I had chicken pox in high school.

A relative of mine had it as an adult and nearly lost his vision as a result.

As for shingles... it's extremely painful. I remember reading about a murder suicide involving an elderly couple, one of whom had been ill and suffering intractable pain from shingles. The partner couldn't stand to watch them suffer.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • My immune system is so awesome that I was born with an immunity to it.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    My immune system is so awesome that I was born with an immunity to it.

Hmmm. Can I have a piece of your liver if I need some later? The Tiki Bar is taking a toll on my hepatic system and you sound like a great donor.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • We had an outbreak of chicken pox of older kids last year at the school at which I teach. I'm talking fifth graders. It ran rampant through the fifth grade for a three week period around the time of standardize testing. There were a lot of nervous teachers because they thought there were going to be some kids to miss the "required" test. Kind of strange as it us usually little kids who get it. I say don't vaccinate and just let them get it and get it over with. Then as an adult you don't have to worry about it. My husband has never had them and he dares me to bring home the chicken pops, as the kids call them, to him.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Good work Zig...If you or your man get it, I think you'd get pretty sick.

I heard if an adult gets the pox of chickens, it makes you quite sick.

And like most people here say, yes, you can still get it...both my kids had it a few years ago. No drama. Let the kids get it, I say.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    ZiggyStar wrote:

And like most people here say, yes, you can still get it...both my kids had it a few years ago. No drama. Let the kids get it, I say.

it can affect an adults vision. permanently.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ZiggyStar wrote:

it can affect an adults vision. permanently.

is it just me or are these post blurry?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    dunkman wrote:
    is it just me or are these post blurry?

:o No it's just you - go to the docs.

I've had it, my son has had it. Hubby had shingles. Never even knew there was a vaccine.