Options

Glass Blowing

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited October 2011 in The Art Wall
So I just enrolled in an 8-part mini glassblowing course and am super excited. Anyone here have any experience with glassblowing?
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    na but good luck to you hope you enjoy an make some nar-lee things

but if wanna make a lil chillum thats in the shape of a surfboard that would be sweet :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    No but its something I've always wanted to learn how to do..that and stained glass work.

ENJOY and create your own personal style...after you learn how that is!

Great project :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    So I just enrolled in an 8-part mini glassblowing course and am super excited. Anyone here have any experience with glassblowing?

I have no experience with that but I collect colored glass. I just LOVE it! 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    i was just thinking the other day how cool of a hobby/job that would be...keep us posted on your progress...maybe show us some of your work.
    Im not a glass blower, but I like to pack up a nice glass pipe w/ some hearty green herbs and smokem up...If you feel like donating some of your work to charity..PM me for my address!! I promise it will be put to good use ;)
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    quote="twisted thoughts"]i was just thinking the other day how cool of a hobby/job that would be...keep us posted on your progress...maybe show us some of your work.
    Im not a glass blower, but I like to pack up a nice glass pipe w/ some hearty green herbs and smokem up...If you feel like donating some of your work to charity..PM me for my address!! I promise it will be put to good use ;)[/quote]
    :lol: +1 on appreciation of the glass pipes :twisted:
    I've been dying to take a glass blowing course! I'd love to see the work you make
  • Options
    First class was amazing. I'm hopelessy in love with this craft. Made a solid paperweight and I'll start actually blowing this Saturday. On average we have enough time to make 1-2 peices per week so I'm real excited about what I can potentially make in 8 weeks. I'll post photos as I bring each piece home!
  • Options
    First class was amazing. I'm hopelessy in love with this craft. Made a solid paperweight and I'll start actually blowing this Saturday. On average we have enough time to make 1-2 peices per week so I'm real excited about what I can potentially make in 8 weeks. I'll post photos as I bring each piece home!

:clap:
    I cant wait to see some of your work
    you'll also have to let us know what you paid for the class
    and if it was worth it in the end
    what a cool hobby....im jealous :P
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options

:clap:
    I cant wait to see some of your work
    you'll also have to let us know what you paid for the class
    and if it was worth it in the end
    what a cool hobby....im jealous :P
    It's a helluva deal in my opinion. It costs $350 for 8 3-hour classes. I'm taking the class at Jacksonville University but it's not associated with the school, meaning no actual college credits but also a little more freedom and flexibility. There's only 7 people in the class which makes it pretty intimate with a lot of one-on-one instruction. I'm hoping to be good at it but regardless of the quality of the pieces I end up creating, I think that $350 for 24 hours of studio time is a steal!
  • Options
    That is a good price, and experience must be priceless I wish if I could come too ;)
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/jnice1980/?action=view&current=CIMG6162.jpg
    i'm an idiot and cant figure out how to post pics in the body of a post, so let me know if you guys can view the whole album by clicking the link above. I've completed about 18 hours of studio time so far and have made about 10-12 pieces, some of which have broken. this is by far the most fun I've ever had and I'm 100% sure i want to continue pursuing this art. now if only retirement would come 35 years early :)
  • Options
    pics cool
  • Options
    http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/jnice1980/?action=view&current=CIMG6162.jpg
    i'm an idiot and cant figure out how to post pics in the body of a post, so let me know if you guys can view the whole album by clicking the link above. I've completed about 18 hours of studio time so far and have made about 10-12 pieces, some of which have broken. this is by far the most fun I've ever had and I'm 100% sure i want to continue pursuing this art. now if only retirement would come 35 years early :)

:D Nice! I've always loved beautiful glass art,
    Good luck!! :) Can't wait to see more pieces!!
  • Options
    Posted some better quality photos as well as newer pieces. Just re-enrolled for next semester too :)
    http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/jnice1980/
    Tell me whatcha think!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,446
    thank g-d you weren't talking about blowing Ira Glass
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Excellent work, man! Might have to look into some classes myself!
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Fantastic!! Actually quite jealous - wouldn't mind a go myself.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I like to paint a little in my spare time but my no means do i consider myself a very good artist. I really only paint abstract stuff, just things i think look cool. That used to be such an escape for me. But this glassblowing is a completely different thing. It's the single most thing I look forward to doing every week. I'll be very sad if I cant continue this craft for as long as I live or somehow make a career out of it down the road. Maybe I can retire at 30 ;) I highly recommend looking into it if anyone in your area offers the experience!
  • Options
    Hey man, congrats, I was wondering how this class went...it's really cool stuff, I wish if I could work with blowing glass in my studio...I hope one day.

Continue to do more of this classes, it seems really fun, don't let this opportunity go away and keep us up date with new work ;)
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    just got back in the hot shop today and it was awesome! i'll post pics of my newest pieces once I bring them home.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Oh, DO! I'd like to see what you made.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Very nice. I like that!

I'm thinking of taking an art class-- a ceramics class teaching on the potter's wheel.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    "THEY USE FORCE TO MAKE YOU DO WHAT THE DECIDERS HAVE DECIDED YOU MUST DO!" ~ Zach De La Rocha

..And away.. we go!
    MSG 5/20/2010
    MSG 5/21/2010
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Posted some better quality photos as well as newer pieces. Just re-enrolled for next semester too :)
    http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/jnice1980/
    Tell me whatcha think!
    `Excellent! Well done. If I had a go at that I wouldn't post the results. :D

Oh and to post a pic in the forum hover over the pic in your album and copy and paste the IMG code. If the pic isn't bigger than 640px wide it will show up. If it is bigger click edit and change the size.
  • Options
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    That is beautiful. I wish I could try it. The closest place that offers glass blowing is an hour away, so not really do-able with kids.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    tinkerbell wrote:
    That is beautiful. I wish I could try it. The closest place that offers glass blowing is an hour away, so not really do-able with kids.
    that's not too bad...maybe make a day trip out of it. I highly recommend it. Thanks for all the kudos :)
  • Options
    I once worked in a glass factory blowing glass for a year. It was interesting but it was still work...and minimum wage!