Options

Bands you have soured on....

Comments

• Options

I'll agree with this one. I know the term "sold out" gets WAY overused...but seriously, they really, really have. If they're truly happy with the music and image they're currently putting out there, then fuck me.

I also agree with the liberal use of 'sell out' and will defend most bands who get pigeonheld to this term.

But, when you're using your name to help sell $100 bandanas and $300 guitar straps...you're a sell out.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/100107-kings-of-leons-fashion-collection-/gallery.aspx#

But I still like their two albums that I've bought (2nd & 3rd) so they don't make the skip list on my iPod.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Aerosmith
    Coldplay
    Foo Fighters
    Incubus
    Korn
    Smashing Pumpkins
  • Options
    Smashing Pumpkins. I still love the old stuff, even Zeitgeist wasn't that bad in my book, but the new stuff does absolutely nothing for me, and Billy Corgan just comes across as a prick these days.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,476
    Mine is the Stone Temple Pilots (surprized I didn't see their name until the 3rd page) They soured on me after the 2nd studio album :twisted: . I can't stand Scott Weiland, I'll turn the radio station if one of their songs come on
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I'd have to say Kings of Leon too I'm afraid!

But not because of the band, and not because I don't like their music. It's just the whole Sex On Fire frenzy that seemed to sweep the world over the past 12 months or so!!
    It's like it's played on every radio show, and in very bar, and in every club!!!
    I really like the last album when it first came out, thought there were some strong tracks on there, but boy, am I sick of hearing them now!!!!

It just goes to show how publicity & promotion can sometimes backfire!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pirlo21 wrote:
    I'd have to say Kings of Leon too I'm afraid!

But not because of the band, and not because I don't like their music. It's just the whole Sex On Fire frenzy that seemed to sweep the world over the past 12 months or so!!
    It's like it's played on every radio show, and in very bar, and in every club!!!
    I really like the last album when it first came out, thought there were some strong tracks on there, but boy, am I sick of hearing them now!!!!

It just goes to show how publicity & promotion can sometimes backfire!!

yeah the whole sex on fire thing freaked me out too.. but i know that ill go back to KoL and when i do itll because i remember what it was to hear joes head and wasted time and holy roller novocaine. and i will dig it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - big fan through Californication, but really lost interest after that album
    Incubus - kind of the same deal as RHCP, just switch Californication with Morning View
    311 - starting with the release of Transistor
    Rage Against The Machine - I'm not as pissed of at the world as I was when I was in high school
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Pretty much everyone has listed the bands that I have soured on or only had some really good singles. (Live is a good example of good singles but bland albums- yes, I know I am gonna probably get lambasted for saying that).

One band I don't think has been mentioned is Bush. I loved, sixteen stone and Razorblade suitcase. Both of those tours were amazing. When "deconstructed" got released and yeah, I know it was a remix album, I really didn't think that was a good direction. got it for a friends b day and he liked it, I didn't care for it).
    Science of things - had the techno feel to it a little bit although "chemicals between us" did grow on me after seeing Gavin Rossdale solo last year.

I really didn't care for his solo album. 2-3 good songs and then just bland. Institue was the smae way.

That being said, alot of the bands mentioned in this thread can still deliver great live shows. The albums may just not work like they once did and just don't appeal to me like some earlier stuff. 311 (last album was boring, great live show though).

I was surprised how much I actually liked the new STP album. It was pretty decent.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Foo Fighters.

Their endless facebook updates lately are getting annoying. They used to sit just to the right hand of the throne of PJ for me. No longer.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    nuffingman wrote:
    I'm with you on U2, and for the same reasons actually :? ;):D:D [/color]
    And I expect we aren't the only ones. :)

You aren't. It's been a slow, painful change of course for me with U2. Loved them since Boy, they were ENORMOUS in Boston when they first started out. Blew me away for so many years. But somewhere along they line, the connection was lost. It became too big, too stridently righteous. I don't know, just lost the magic.

I miss that.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,694
    In all honesty:

Pearl Jam
    Queens of The Stone Age
    Radiohead

3 bands with so much potential...Who have released some of the greatest music of the last 25 years...yet the last 2 albums from each band have been pretty smelly and far below standard.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Pretty much everyone has listed the bands that I have soured on or only had some really good singles. (Live is a good example of good singles but bland albums- yes, I know I am gonna probably get lambasted for saying that).

One band I don't think has been mentioned is Bush. I loved, sixteen stone and Razorblade suitcase. Both of those tours were amazing. When "deconstructed" got released and yeah, I know it was a remix album, I really didn't think that was a good direction. got it for a friends b day and he liked it, I didn't care for it).
    Science of things - had the techno feel to it a little bit although "chemicals between us" did grow on me after seeing Gavin Rossdale solo last year.

I really didn't care for his solo album. 2-3 good songs and then just bland. Institue was the smae way.

That being said, alot of the bands mentioned in this thread can still deliver great live shows. The albums may just not work like they once did and just don't appeal to me like some earlier stuff. 311 (last album was boring, great live show though).

I was surprised how much I actually liked the new STP album. It was pretty decent.
    Agree with you on Bush. For me, their music just didn't hold up well over time. Every time I hear something from 16stone, I immediately have flashbacks of when that album was released, which was while I was in middle school. Not many songs/albums do that for me, but 16stone does...
  • Options
    Foo Fighters.

Their endless facebook updates lately are getting annoying. They used to sit just to the right hand of the throne of PJ for me. No longer.

I forgot about the foos, definitely one I have soured. There not making bad music, but is not not really good either, just bland. It is a shame considering how good the first two albums are.
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Muse
    KOL
    Coldplay
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Weezer
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Prince

At one point all three of these bands/artists were producing some of the most compelling/entertaining/engaging music that I'd heard. At some other point they all became irrelevant. I keep hoping for a return to form, but it never happens.

IMO...

With Weezer, they peaked on Pinkerton. Green album should have been an EP of the first 5 songs, and Maladroit rocked pretty darn hard. Everything else makes me cringe. Of the three I mentioned, this makes me the most disappointed.

With Smashing Pumpkins, they peaked on Siamese Dream. I know everyone else seems to have been floored by Mellon Collie... but I never got that album. Or anything that came after it for that matter. To this day I only own Gish and Siamese Dream, and for the longest time I only had Siamese Dream on cassette tape...

With Prince, well, I don't know what to say. Obviously his early stuff (80's releases) is the stuff of legend. Somewhere along the way the guy's eccentricities got the better of him. He still puts on an absolutely amazing live show, but unless it's filled with only the old stuff I'd have no real desire to see it. A friend of mine once said about Prince "Everything he does is either the best thing in the world or the worst thing you've ever heard. That's how you know he's a genius." I think that hits pretty close to the mark.

I wonder if it was them or me that moved on and left the other behind? Maybe both? Who knows?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Alice In Chains.....I just don't enjoy them anymore. And I'm not talking about just the new stuff. The old stuff that I used to love just bores me now.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    HeavyHands wrote:
    With Smashing Pumpkins, they peaked on Siamese Dream. I know everyone else seems to have been floored by Mellon Collie... but I never got that album. Or anything that came after it for that matter. To this day I only own Gish and Siamese Dream, and for the longest time I only had Siamese Dream on cassette tape...

I haven't listened to SP since Mellon Collie either and I too think that album was a serious disappointment, but I would definitely say you should get Pisces Iscariot. I actually like it better than Siamese Dream.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains.....I just don't enjoy them anymore. And I'm not talking about just the new stuff. The old stuff that I used to love just bores me now.

Which I think is the original point of the thread.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    sadly Nirvana
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Not quite the level of the other bands mentioned, but Robert Randolph and the Family Band have really disappointed me over the years. Live at the Wetlands was a phenomenal live album, but all their studio work has been lackluster at best, to the point where I haven't even picked up the new album. I have no interest in being disappointed again. Even live, the energy/spontaneity isn't what it was a few years ago.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Definitely Weezer for me!

4 albums in the last 2 years or so... so rubbish! They should go back to releasing 1 every 5 years, then finally we may get another Pinkerton or Maladroit. Pinkerton was one of the best albums ever! They sucked balls ever since basically (except a shining through the clouds with Maladroit).
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Definitely Weezer for me!
    Weezer owes me at least $45 for three "albums".
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    In all honesty:

Pearl Jam
    Queens of The Stone Age
    Radiohead

3 bands with so much potential...Who have released some of the greatest music of the last 25 years...yet the last 2 albums from each band have been pretty smelly and far below standard.
    Hmm. Although I wasn't super impressed with Backspacer (at least for PJ standards), I thought In Rainbows and Era Vulgera were both great. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    U2 - I cannot even listen to the old stuff. It happened long ago, so it is really strange being reminded of the 'biggest band in the world' or something like that, when is really nothing there imo.
    Muse, I have no idea why I ever liked them. In the beginning, I was bothering my friends with them, now they like them. :roll:
    Ben Harper, I like his old stuff way better, don't connect much with the new. There is spark here and there, so I am not really soured, just missing that feel.
    Kings of Leon, sigh. They were such a joy to listen to when they started.
    Actually, I was saying 'yes' to the majority of the posts here, not much to add.
  • Options
    MGMT- I think this last album is terrible...very, very terrible
  • Options
    Add Audioslave to my list. Really liked the first album when it came out. Not so much for the 2nd and 3rd albums. Was reminded of them when I heard Like A Stone earlier today and was just underwhelmed....
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    KoL for me lately

+1

Their new song is a disappointment. But not just that, I've grown tired of them. they got big too fast.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    pearl jam, that last album was pure garbage! even their shows were really lacking. i saw them 5 times last tour and heard 'insignificance' a bunch of those shows and each time mike didn't play his part, he just played a double rhythm along with stone, it sounded like a cover band.

i can still dig their previous stuff but they dropped a bit this past year or so
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pearl jam.

me too :oops:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I agree w/most of the responses.

Weezer - I honestly was like fan club member #24. Lived and died with them..then poof one day I just fell out of love with them.

DMB - did everything I could to see them live, collected boots..then they hit the stadiums and I started to see right through them for some reason.

RHCP - they have abandoned EVERYTHING that made them so great. FUNK dudes..SLAP THE BASS for god sake and funk it up..John F being gone doesn't help.

Smashing Pumpkins - saw them on the Gish tour and it was one of the most amazing moments of my concert life..they slowly got bigger and I wasn't being a snob, but they started to bum me out. Corgan just started to whine about everything it seemed. When he cut his hair off it was the beginning of the end. I don't even care his latest stuff is "Free" I can't be bothered.