a question for message pit lawyers

snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
ok, i was up in maine this weekend and got into a fight at a bar. the cops were called and i got a misdemeanor disorderly conduct. they want me to come up for a court date in a month but i'm 8 hours away and really don't have the time off from work.

i called the court and asked if i can just pay the fine and they said no i must show up. they said i could call the DA's office and possibly negotiate something with them. i called them up and they said they didn't have the paper work yet and that i would need to call back once i get something in the mail from them. they also said i could write a letter to the judge but i doubt that would work.

do i have any options here or do i have to go up? what might happen if i just don't show up? my friends are telling me i should hire a lawyer to try and get this off my record but is a disorderly conduct all that bad to have on the record? trust me i'd rather it be clean, but it seems harmless enough and i don't really want to have to pay a lawyer. if i am able to get away with just paying a fine but it stays on my record should i do it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    So, how do you think you would do locked in a cage with a 500 pound bear? No lawyers allowed. I'm looking for some fighters to carry on the tradition now that I am getting on in years...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    So, how do you think you would do locked in a cage with a 500 pound bear? No lawyers allowed. I'm looking for some fighters to carry on the tradition now that I am getting on in years...

Do I get a club or something? I figure the bear has me by a few hundred pounds, has those big teeth, huge paws and sharp claws, I should at least get something...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i surely wouldn't blow it off. spend a few dollars on a lawyer that is located up in the maine area that you were in.

and don't get into bar fights

i am not a lawyer, never been arrested and i didn't stay at a holiday inn last night
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who won the fight?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    snipes824 wrote:
    ok, i was up in maine this weekend and got into a fight at a bar. the cops were called and i got a misdemeanor disorderly conduct. they want me to come up for a court date in a month but i'm 8 hours away and really don't have the time off from work.

i called the court and asked if i can just pay the fine and they said no i must show up. they said i could call the DA's office and possibly negotiate something with them. i called them up and they said they didn't have the paper work yet and that i would need to call back once i get something in the mail from them. they also said i could write a letter to the judge but i doubt that would work.

do i have any options here or do i have to go up? what might happen if i just don't show up? my friends are telling me i should hire a lawyer to try and get this off my record but is a disorderly conduct all that bad to have on the record? trust me i'd rather it be clean, but it seems harmless enough and i don't really want to have to pay a lawyer. if i am able to get away with just paying a fine but it stays on my record should i do it?

I would suggest at least consulting a lawyer because this will go on your record and could affect your future believe it or not. Do you already have a record? Things like that need to be addressed. I'm sure there are ways to divert having it put on your record. Don't believe anything the DA's office tells you, they don't want to help you no matter what and are only interested in pading their conviction record. You can IM if you like, things that seem little now may hurt you in the future, but please don't trust the court house, police, or DA's office ever, they don't care about you or your future.
    eyedclaar wrote:

Do I get a club or something? I figure the bear has me by a few hundred pounds, has those big teeth, huge paws and sharp claws, I should at least get something...

You get to use your "superior" human intellect… good luck with that.

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Don't show up to court and never go to Maine again.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I'm not a lawyer, but I work for a diversion program and my clients all have cases in court. I would recommend trying to negotiate with the DA. You may be able to work out a deal- do some community service or take some anger management classes to get your case dismissed. Ask if you are elligible for pretrial diversion, since it is a misdemeanor you most likely are. I have to deal with out of county and out of state cases often with my clients, and I am usually able to work out something where they don't have to go to court and they can take care of the case. Good Luck.

BabaBooey's option is good too.

And yeah, who won?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • thanks for the information guys. i appreciate it.

i think i probably lost. i have a broken nose and a pretty nice shiner. he had some blood and probably a hurt jaw, but that's about it. :oops:

it didn't last too long. my friends broke it up pretty quick.
    snipes824 wrote:
    thanks for the information guys. i appreciate it.

i think i probably lost. i have a broken nose and a pretty nice shiner. he had some blood and probably a hurt jaw, but that's about it. :oops:

it didn't last too long. my friends broke it up pretty quick.

Gotta watch that first looping right hand... So, I take it no bear wrestling then?

• eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

You get to use your "superior" human intellect… good luck with that.

great... so what you're saying is that I'm screwed.... I think I'll pass...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on tv) but just for comparison (to some degree).

In 2001 I was nailed going 87 mph in a 55 mph zone. 32 mph over the speed limit. Pretty feckin' stiff ticket. This was on the way Upstate NY, and I lived on Long Island. ...I wasn't able to go the 5 hour trek to and from. I decided to hire a LOCAL lawyer, figuring they know everyone and know how best to wheel-and-deal.

The local lawyer argued it down to.... wait for it.... parking on a sidewalk. That's right, not the reckless driving that I would have faced. Not even a moving violation. He got it down to parking on a sidewalk. Lawyer cost me about $500 plus fine.

...best money I've ever spent.

Now, you're in a different situation, but maybe there might be something applicable.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10