What's the obsession with vinyl?

nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So what is this obsession with vinyl? Being one of the more ancient members of this board I had nothing but vinyl during my teen years. Vinyl was a pain in the rear end! Take the glossy black disc out of the sleeve, pop it on the deck and it hisses. Static again, take it off turntable and wash the thing and put it back on. After 5 minutes you hear a click that wasn't there the last time you played it. :o

Then of course there are the times when you're listening to music with your mates and you've had too many beers to legally be allowed near a record deck. But of course you try, and skate the arm across your favourite. "There's a lady who's sure... click ... all that glitters is gold ... click ... and she's buying ... click ... a stairway to heaven ... pop" Ahhh fuck! :?

My favourite disaster with vinyl was taking it out of the sleeve and wondering how it was now shaped like an oyster shell. I can't count the number of times I had some warped mess pressed between phone directories.

When CDs were invented I had a smile like a cheshire cat. However if vinyl is such a popular item now I must have about 500 sitting in the loft sulking. Perhaps eBay needs a visit.

Enjoy the vinyl all you vinyl lovers. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I was watching the news the other day and they're saying that vinyl is making a huge comeback. The reason being that music on CD's only last 25 yrs or so and vinyl lasts forever and also because bands are now releasing vinyl with free downloads to put on ipods, etc...
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    vinyl is very tactile. black is lovely. and the hiss keeps it real.

i love vinyl.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Jukee wrote:
    I was watching the news the other day and they're saying that vinyl is making a huge comeback. The reason being that music on CD's only last 25 yrs or so and vinyl lasts forever and also because bands are now releasing vinyl with free downloads to put on ipods, etc...
    Hang on! You telling me that after I replaced all the good vinyl with CDs I now have to replace the good CDs with vinyl because the CDs are going to be blank in the not too distant future. It's a never ending circle. :lol::lol::lol:
    and the hiss keeps it real.

i love vinyl.
    :lol::lol: Don't you find it just slightly irritating?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,026
    nuffingman wrote:
    Jukee wrote:
    Hang on! You telling me that after I replaced all the good vinyl with CDs I now have to replace the good CDs with vinyl because the CDs are going to be blank in the not too distant future. It's a never ending circle. :lol::lol::lol:
    never ending BLACK circle!!! So do what the man says and SPIN SPIN SPIN!!!! SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'm 19 and when I was younger, before the age of 10, my dad taught me how to use a record player and showed me the right way to put the needle on so it doesn't skip. So I've always loved it since I was a little kid. I found it fun to do all the work to playing it; plus the fact that my dad had a great system to play it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    mickeyrat wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Jukee wrote:
    never ending BLACK circle!!! So do what the man says and SPIN SPIN SPIN!!!! SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE!!!!!
    I was waiting for a post like this and you delivered. :clap::clap::clap:
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    nuffingman wrote:
    Jukee wrote:

That's exactly what i'm sayin! There was a guy on there that had hundreds of vinyl back in the day and he sold them all and is now kicking himself in the ass. I'm sure there are many, many people out there that are doing the same thing and wished they would have kept them all.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
    nuffingman wrote:
    and the hiss keeps it real.

i love vinyl.
    :lol::lol: Don't you find it just slightly irritating?

depends on how drunk i am. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,026
    nuffingman wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    I was waiting for a post like this and you delivered. :clap::clap::clap:
    its a gift I have. :mrgreen::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Newch91 wrote:
    I'm 19 and when I was younger, before the age of 10, my dad taught me how to use a record player and showed me the right way to put the needle on so it doesn't skip. So I've always loved it since I was a little kid. I found it fun to do all the work to playing it; plus the fact that my dad had a great system to play it.

he taught you. jeez... :roll: back in the day it was something we had to learn by feel. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Newch91 wrote:

he taught you. jeez... :roll: back in the day it was something we had to learn by feel. :P

Would you trust an 8 or 9 year old alone with a record player?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

i wouldnt even trust an 8 or 9 year old to go to the toilet by themselves. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Newch91 wrote:

i wouldnt even trust an 8 or 9 year old to go to the toilet by themselves. :mrgreen:

Haha. All the records are in perfect condition and not one of them has a skip or scratch. But you can tell they're old by the way they look. They all sound great.