sharks 1 humans 0

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i dedicate this to my darling daughter who is going diving with the great whites this weekend.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/795793 ... hark-belly

Human torso found in Bahamas shark belly

Bahamian police said on Tuesday they are trying to identify human remains found in the stomach of a tiger shark caught off the Exuma islands.

Forensic investigators were conducting DNA tests on the two legs, two arms and severed torso found inside the 3.6m shark, said Assistant Police Commissioner Glenn Miller.

He said the remains appeared to be a couple of days old, but that it was not clear whether the person was dead or alive when consumed by the shark.

The tiger shark can migrate long distances and has been known to attack people.

Miller said at least two people have been reported missing recently on the archipelago.

He also didn't rule out the possibility that the remains are those of an impoverished migrant whose boat might have capsized during a risky sea journey to Florida.

Three fishermen made the grim discovery on Saturday after hooking the tiger shark about 56km south of New Providence, the most populated Bahamian island.

One of the fishermen was Bahamian investment banker Humphrey Simmons, according to The Tribune newspaper, which quoted Simmons as saying that the remains were those of a man.

"He had neither clothes nor any identifying marks," Simmons said.

Marie Levine, executive director of the Princeton, New Jersey-based Shark Research Institute, said that for all the hoopla about shark attacks, they're relatively few and fatalities are even fewer.

"With tiger sharks, it's unusual for them to attack someone when alive," Levine said.

"They don't tend to go after something that's alive and can fight back."

She said tiger sharks, which have clean-edged, serrated teeth, are known to travel through Bahamian waters quite a bit.

hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Where is your daughter going diving with sharks? It's all my daughter wants to do.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Enkidu wrote:
    Where is your daughter going diving with sharks? It's all my daughter wants to do.

off port lincoln in south australia. shes diving with the foxes so she should be safe. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I just Googled it and it looks amazing. I showed my daughter the site and she said, "When can I go?" I guess it's a good thing to have fearless daughters, right?
    Enkidu wrote:
    I just Googled it and it looks amazing. I showed my daughter the site and she said, "When can I go?" I guess it's a good thing to have fearless daughters, right?

sometimes. but its more important in this instance that theyre not seeing sharks as the enemy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Enkidu wrote:

sometimes. but its more important in this instance that theyre not seeing sharks as the enemy.

I agree. My daughter (she's 13) wants to be a marine biologist so she can save sharks. She makes Save the Sharks buttons and writes that on her backpack and her books and she's joined every kind of Save the Sharks organization she can. She did a dive up near San Francisco, but she seriously wants to go to Australia or South Africa. We laugh and say, Yeah, when Mom and Dad win the lottery.

Hope your daughter has a great time.
  • gonna be one of the best things she ever does :mrgreen:

im so proud :D
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Enkidu wrote:

you being in california can go to the farallon islands or guadalupe island off mexico for the great whites

i reccommend guadalupe..longer trip but the water is calm and crystal clear

www.greatwhiteadventures.com
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    gonna be one of the best things she ever does :mrgreen:

oh she knows. shes both delirious with anticipation and very much amused by the reactions she gets from people when she tells them what shes doing. we both have a chuckle when people ask... why dont you dive with sharks at the aquarium. theres much rolling of the eyes as she and i think of those dopey well fed grey nurses and know thats not really what its about is it?? you dont dive with sharks in a tank.. you dive with them in their environment. otherwise why bother.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gonna be one of the best things she ever does :mrgreen:

oh she knows. shes both delirious with anticipation and very much amused by the reactions she gets from people when she tells them what shes doing. we both have a chuckle when people ask... why dont you dive with sharks at the aquarium. theres much rolling of the eyes as she and i think of those dopey well fed grey nurses and know thats not really what its about is it?? you dont dive with sharks in a tank.. you dive with them in their environment. otherwise why bother.

YEA ive been getting those reactions for 5 years ..whenever someone new hears the story or sees the dvd..they get excited

happy and safe diving to your daughther

dont touch the whites
    gonna be one of the best things she ever does :mrgreen:

YEA ive been getting those reactions for 5 years ..whenever someone new hears the story or sees the dvd..they get excited

dont touch the whites

she says to people... im in a cage.

and they say... have you seen JAWS

which really is a stupid question(to us) cause in this house JAWS is required viewing. and more so during the summer months.

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• oh she knows. shes both delirious with anticipation and very much amused by the reactions she gets from people when she tells them what shes doing. we both have a chuckle when people ask... why dont you dive with sharks at the aquarium. theres much rolling of the eyes as she and i think of those dopey well fed grey nurses and know thats not really what its about is it?? you dont dive with sharks in a tank.. you dive with them in their environment. otherwise why bother.

dont touch the whites

which really is a stupid question(to us) cause in this house JAWS is required viewing. and more so during the summer months.

well one did get in the cage a few years back at guadalupe..but it was an accident and nobody was hurt

so its fine :mrgreen:
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    i dedicate this to my darling daughter who is going diving with the great whites this weekend.
    Is your daughter or someone going to take pics of this that we can see next week?

well one did get in the cage a few years back at guadalupe..but it was an accident and nobody was hurt

so its fine :mrgreen:

well i know it happens. and i know its not within sharks capabilites to swim backwards to extricate themselves but im not concerned for her safety at all.

BUT...

im not so cool enough that it wouldnt freak me out if it happened.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuffingman wrote:
    Is your daughter or someone going to take pics of this that we can see next week?

oh im hoping so. cause shes getting a new camera for her birthday(the reason for the timing of her dive) for the purpose. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuffingman wrote:

oh im hoping so. cause shes getting a new camera for her birthday(the reason for the timing of her dive) for the purpose. :mrgreen:
    I'm looking forward to seeing them and hope she has a great time. You wouldn't get me in a cage with sharks around it for all the tea in China.

This is something my daughter wants to do and she's travelling through Oz at the moment. No doubt she will. At this moment in time she is leading camels around a beach somewhere to earn some money. :lol:
    nuffingman wrote:
    I'm looking forward to seeing them and hope she has a great time. You wouldn't get me in a cage with sharks around it for all the tea in China.

This is something my daughter wants to do and she's travelling through Oz at the moment. No doubt she will. At this moment in time she is leading camels around a beach somewhere to earn some money. :lol:

that would be broome in north west WA.

well i hope shes fully funded cause diving with the sharks aint cheap here.

aah yes camels... did you know australia exports camels overseas. theyre are intrinsic in our history. we have much desert so theyre the perfect animal for exploration.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuffingman wrote:

aah yes camels... did you know australia exports camels overseas. theyre are intrinsic in our history. we have much desert so theyre the perfect animal for exploration.
    That's it, she has recently been in Exmouth and left Perth about 4 weeks ago. She's the clumsiest person I know so heaven knows what will happen with the camels. She said that she had to allow the camel to sniff her face to get to know her and had drool all over her T shirt. :lol: This is a girl that never normally goes anywhere without her hair straighteners.

As for camels being an Australian export.... you learn something every day.
    nuffingman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

That's it, she has recently been in Exmouth and left Perth about 4 weeks ago. She's the clumsiest person I know so heaven knows what will happen with the camels. She said that she had to allow the camel to sniff her face to get to know her and had drool all over her T shirt. :lol: This is a girl that never normally goes anywhere without her hair straighteners.

As for camels being an Australian export.... you learn something every day.

camels arent the most happy go lucky animals on earth. they do what the want when the want to do it. :lol:

i guess like us, trust is everything with them... which is smart. and sniffing is a part of that. smell is very important to me i can tell you that... and im not talking old spice or lynx... so for animals its paramount.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • only cate could derail her own thread :lol:

went from awesome sharks to dopey camels :mrgreen:
    only cate could derail her own thread :lol:

Sorry. I think that was my fault. :oops:

OMG!! j i was just thinking the same thing. :lol:

but you know what?? camels are the ships of the desert. ships usually sail on the seas. sharks are in the sea.. voila!!! :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuffingman wrote:

yes. i blame you too. :P :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • nuffingman wrote:

just busting chops ..its all good
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/795966 ... harks-jaws

Seal escapes from shark's jaws

A photographer in South Africa has captured the stunning moment when a seal managed to escape from the jaws of a great white shark.

Photographer Chris Fallows, 38, photographed the nail biting chase between the 3.3 metre shark and the young fur seal, UK newspaper the Telegraph reported.

The shark at first managed to get the metre-long seal in its mouth but failed to effectively bite the mammal, allowing it to jump out.

"The shark caught the seal but did not get a firm purchase and the seal literally was exhaled out of the shark's mouth as it attempted to bite down," Mr Fallows said.

"Incredibly the young seal is using the teeth of the great white shark as a final point of leverage to push itself out of the shark's mouth."

The seal suffered wound on its hind quarter which is not believed to be fatal.

It escaped back to land after the shark tired of the attack.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chris fallows is the best in the business

i have a few of his shots framed on the wall in long island
    chris fallows is the best in the business

im off to google him now.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chris fallows is the best in the business

im off to google him now.

south africa
  • SPCF1.jpg
  • SPCFbreach.jpg

hanging over the living room tv
  • great-white.jpg

buy this book for your daughter

tells his whole story and it has 100's of pictures