What kind of baby carrier do you recommend?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
For those of you who have had babies, did you use one of those hands-free baby carriers that you strap to yourself? Which one do you recommend for young babies? Moby wrap? Ergo? BabyBjorn? K'Tan? Mei Tai? One of the slings? Something else? I want to get one for my friend who's about to have her first baby (I'm going to be the godmother! :D ), but neither of us have any experience with these things. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Surrogacy ;)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • A harness is the best, but some babies don't take to them. Often a swaddle blanket is good too. Keeps them warmer!
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • the wife 8-)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    It's all relative. Depends on how the parent is comfortable carrying the baby and how the weight is distributed should a parent have back/shoulder problems, how long they plan on carrying the baby in such a way, etc.

From a brand point of view (ie how well made, etc.), check out consumer magazine reviews/comparisons.

Some carriers are for teeny weeny ones only, some for 'older' babies, some only work one way whilst others can be fitted in different positions. A friend's daughter had a carrier that seemed to be a cross between a 'structured' carrier and a sling.

Is this supposed to be a surprise or can you discuss it with your friend? I think this would be the best thing to do once you have looked at options and can maybe propose different ones to her? Can you guys go shopping together to try them on?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Brings back wonderful memories of my babies in their front carriers on my chest, the smell of baby and their little baby soft hands in mine. Wispy soft blonde hair smelling of baby shampoo. Ahhhh
    We had a back carrier too as they grew. JB used that mostly.
    I've seen the sling thing but I really liked them tight against my chest. Secure feeling.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    We got a BabyBjorn one were the baby is on your chest. You should wait until your friend gives birth and go to the store together so she can find one that is comfortable for her.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I loved my Moby Wrap and wore my babies everywhere. Some other girlfriends swear by their ergo.
  • We have one of those front carriers that my wife and I both used that was decent... no idea what brand, I can try to find it when I get home.

My wife tried one of those slings, and it couldn't be more horrible... I tried it too because she said it was so bad, and it was pretty uncomfortable to have on, but even more uncomfortable looking for the baby. Maybe it was the brand, or whatever, but we never wanted to waste our money trying another one.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice! Yes, I already told her I plan to get her one because I want to be sure and get the one she wants. Problem is, she doesn't know which one to pick any more than I do. I would LOVE to go shopping with her for it, but she lives in England and I live in the U.S. She's 4 days past due already, so the baby should be coming at any moment now!! :D

Has anyone tried the K'Tan? One of my friends really like that one. Seems easier to use than the Moby Wrap. Has anyone ever tried the newborn insert for the Ergo? Just wondering. Thanks! :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    scb wrote:
    Has anyone tried the K'Tan? One of my friends really like that one. Seems easier to use than the Moby Wrap. Has anyone ever tried the newborn insert for the Ergo? Just wondering. Thanks! :)

One of my friends used the K'tan and didn't feel like the baby was "secure" in it. I never used it myself. I have another girlfriend that swears by hers.

The Moby certainly looks like it is difficult to use, but the instructions are simple, and after two tries I was able to use it easily.

As for the Ergo, that is the one most of my baby wearing friends use. My friend Sara even had a coat that was made to fit her and her Ergo!

Most folks, myself included, use more than one type of carrier/sling/wrap. They all have different uses (ease of nursing baby in carrier, city travel, and on and on).

Sorry, I know I'm not helping to make your decision easier. You may want to google things like: attachment parenting, babywearing, carrier reviews to get the best info.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Called my friend whose daughter had that 'in-between' carrier. This is what she has:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... et&x=0&y=0

http://www.babykind.co.uk/wilkinetbabycarrier.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/wilkinet

Her daughter (and the baby) loved it. She carried her baby in it a lot, even at home when she was doing her chores,etc . She has back issues and this carrier was really comfortable for her. It would seem you very quickly get used to the 'wrapping'.
    scb wrote:

One of my friends used the K'tan and didn't feel like the baby was "secure" in it. I never used it myself. I have another girlfriend that swears by hers.

The Moby certainly looks like it is difficult to use, but the instructions are simple, and after two tries I was able to use it easily.

As for the Ergo, that is the one most of my baby wearing friends use. My friend Sara even had a coat that was made to fit her and her Ergo!

Most folks, myself included, use more than one type of carrier/sling/wrap. They all have different uses (ease of nursing baby in carrier, city travel, and on and on).

Sorry, I know I'm not helping to make your decision easier. You may want to google things like: attachment parenting, babywearing, carrier reviews to get the best info.

No, you're helping and I appreciate it. I have Googled it and that's useful too. I'm thinking you're right & she may need to have more than one for different uses and/or go through more than one before finding the one she likes.

It's interesting that you say the K'Tan seems less secure than the Moby Wrap. I can see that, since it's not adjustable. But at the same time it kind of seems MORE secure because of the continuous loop. Seems like the Moby has the possibility of becoming untied. Maybe your friend didn't have the right size K'Tan?
    redrock wrote:
    Called my friend whose daughter had that 'in-between' carrier. This is what she has:

THANK YOU!! :)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Surrogacy ;)
    the wife 8-)

Rise and shine, smart asses! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • rafie wrote:
    We got a BabyBjorn one were the baby is on your chest. You should wait until your friend gives birth and go to the store together so she can find one that is comfortable for her.

We also used this...but very little it seemed.

The slings I see people carry their babies in scares the hell out of me. I have no idea why someone would want to do that. But, it's their own kid, not mine.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I loved the babybjorn...and really loved the backpack as the kids got older...but our youngest is 5 and I know there is a lot more out there. ;)
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    dcfaithful wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Surrogacy ;)
    the wife 8-)

Rise and shine, smart asses! :lol:

Wait I got one......"one with a strong back."
  • I never was comfortable with a sling, myself. Older son just thrashed and screamed for the first year, so baby carriers were sort of a non-issue (could not leave the house). Younger son liked the Baby Bjorn -- he loved facing outwards and seeing the world.

Keep in mind, though, that babies grow really, really quickly. We switched to the backpack carriers somewhere in the 3-5 month range. I advise investing in a good backpack, you can use it for longer.

But, as someone else posted, it has been a while. My youngest is 11.5 years old (and 5'4" and 115 lbs. -- no more backpacks!).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • The Bjorn worked pretty well for me and my wife. Used it every day. We tried some slings but couldn't get the hang of them.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • I tried different brands and styles with each of my kids, and like a few others have said, found the sling types to be a bit awkward to wear and carry the baby comfortably. I really like the Baby Bjorn, I used that one with my son, and wished I had for my daughters. It didn't hurt my back like some others can, and I found that he was comfortable facing in AND when he got a bit bigger and faced outwards. I think I used it a lot (probably daily), until he was close to 4 or 5 months, and then he was quite heavy in it, so it was only for when he wanted to be held and I had stuff to do. It was GREAT for that. Hands free - he could see everything, and felt like he was part of what was going on, and I got to continue with whatever I needed doing.

Good luck with it, I def. recommend that brand though. :)

Edited to say, that while I didn't use it daily once he got to about 4 or 5 months, I did still use it frequently until he was around 7 or 8 months old, then the stroller was easier.
    Thanks for all your help everyone! :D
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Gets them where they are going and you don't have to tire yourself out...

schleich_catapult.jpg
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Gets them where they are going and you don't have to tire yourself out...

schleich_catapult.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • We had the one that held the baby vertical and their legs hung out the bottom. It wasn't very comfortable and we hardly used it. If we ever have another, we're going to use those sling types, it seems to me that those would be more comfortable for myself and the baby. Also, I think the baby would feel more secure in it.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.