Study Contends Pot Isn't a Major 'Gateway Drug'

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
FRIDAY, Sept. 3 (HealthDay News) -- A new report casts doubt on the argument that marijuana is a "gateway drug" that plays a major role in leading people to try other illegal drugs.

Researchers found that other factors, such as ethnicity and stress levels, are more likely to predict whether young adults will use other illegal drugs.

Even unemployment appears to be more closely linked to harder illicit drug use than marijuana use, the study authors noted.

"Employment in young adulthood can protect people by 'closing' the marijuana gateway, so over-criminalizing youth marijuana use might create more serious problems if it interferes with later employment opportunities," study co-author Karen Van Gundy, an associate professor of sociology at the University of New Hampshire, said in a university news release.

The researchers based their findings on surveys of 1,286 young adults who attended Miami-area public schools in the 1990s.

Ethnicity was the best predictor of future illegal drug use, the study findings indicated, with whites the most likely to use the drugs, followed by Hispanics and then blacks.

The study findings are published in the September issue of the Journal of Health and Social Behavior.

So does early use of marijuana play a role in boosting the likelihood of later drug use? It's unclear.

"This study really doesn't answer the question," said Dr. Richard D. Blondell, director of addictions research at the University at Buffalo (UB), who was not involved in the new study. "As the authors point out, there are a lot of factors at play here. There is no one single answer to why somebody develops addiction."

:clap:
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sweet 8-)

speaking of which.... :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    FINALLY!!!
  • IF BY GATEWAY they mean this shit i got makes me want to eat everything in sight...then no :mrgreen: or is it yes :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Too bad I'm dry. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I'll toke to that!

I'd even take a line to that if someone had some. :lol:
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I'll toke to that!

I'd even take a line to that if someone had some. :lol:

:lol::lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Why do they keep funding these stupid studies when common sense had the answer a long long time ago?
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    edited September 2010
    Iv been studying this for 12-15 years and have concluded the same thing.
    Post edited by Nothingman54 on
    I'll be back
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I don't know many pot smokers that haven't tried another drug of some sort....I'm struggling to think of one actually....
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Iv been studying this for 12-15 years and have conluded the same thing.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • dcfaithful wrote:

I hate to hear that. Just found this. Buy420.biz Still trying to find if it's a scam or not. Not that i would do something like that...On their twitter page they will send a free sample of hash. Also you can buy 25.00 samples. Sounds to good to be true...................Also the method of payment is strange WMZ anyone ever heard of that web money stuff?
    I'll be back
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Does beer count. I've smoked plenty, but never did anything harder
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I don't know many pot smokers that haven't tried another drug of some sort....I'm struggling to think of one actually....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I agree. Perhaps pot doesn't necessarily lead to hard narcotic use, but what pot smoker hasn't tried, or been interested in trying hash, mushrooms or acid?
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    maybe they are "other drug users"who have tried pot 8-)
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Only some mushrooms for me...nothing I would ever label as "awesome", or "I have to do that again" Alcohol as well. Nothing else interests me.

By the way Ziggy, how the hell are you? :wave:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I hate to hear that. Just found this. Buy420.biz Still trying to find if it's a scam or not. Not that i would do something like that...On their twitter page they will send a free sample of hash. Also you can buy 25.00 samples. Sounds to good to be true...................Also the method of payment is strange WMZ anyone ever heard of that web money stuff?

Honestly, I just don't think I'd try that, seems sketchy. But I'm conservative and prefer old fashion transactions.

Thank you for your concern, but I remedied that problem. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I agree. Perhaps pot doesn't necessarily lead to hard narcotic use, but what pot smoker hasn't tried, or been interested in trying hash, mushrooms or acid?

ive tried all that but not because of weed...i just saw others on it and wanted to be on that planet called acid