New Zealanders...

mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Let's get everyone checked in here to make sure you doing alright.
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Hi. Kiwi here, checking in YAY Spring has sprung! :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Hope all you Aucklanders are safe!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38993181/ns ... siapacific
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Worst earthquake New Zealand has had in 80 years.

I was looking at accommodation in Christchurch just last night for when I travel there in November....scary!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I was looking at accommodation in Christchurch just last night for when I travel there in November....scary!

is that near where jen is?
    www.myspace.com
  • I'm OK. No one has been reported dead, just two severe injuries. My dad almost died :( it was so scary. And we're still getting aftershocks!
    ZiggyStar wrote:

is that near where jen is?

Jen's in Wellington. Earthquake was in Christchurch.

new-zealand-map.jpg
    I'm OK. No one has been reported dead, just two severe injuries. My dad almost died :( it was so scary. And we're still getting aftershocks!

Glad you and your family are okay! Have you been in an earthquake before?
  • I'm studying right now at the university of canterbury in west christchurch...it was pretty terrifying this morning. there's definitely considerable damage in christchurch, but it's mostly calm now. it was such a beautiful day here and people were hanging out outside all day chatting without power- also enjoying quite a bit of aftershock. considering what downtown christchurch looks like right now, it's unbelievably lucky that the earthquake struck at 4:30 AM because that had to have been the safest time possible. The university was just finishing a 2 week semester break and now we have another week canceled due to damage
  • Glad to hear that there were very few injuries.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    I'm studying right now at the university of canterbury in west christchurch...it was pretty terrifying this morning. there's definitely considerable damage in christchurch, but it's mostly calm now. it was such a beautiful day here and people were hanging out outside all day chatting without power- also enjoying quite a bit of aftershock. considering what downtown christchurch looks like right now, it's unbelievably lucky that the earthquake struck at 4:30 AM because that had to have been the safest time possible. The university was just finishing a 2 week semester break and now we have another week canceled due to damage

Any word on whether the Cathedral got any damage?

You have storms and gale force winds coming tonight! I saw that a lot of people are without water, pipes burst, suburbs flooded with sewage etc....I hope people are smart enough to capture rain water....it could be a while until they have fresh water again.

Yeah I agree....so lucky it happened at 4.30am.

I'm moving to Wellington next year....fuck I hope I don't experience an earthquake.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

I'm moving to Wellington next year....fuck I hope I don't experience an earthquake.

Far out! From Townsville to Wellington!!!!!!!! You're going to friggin' freeze! Whatcha doin that big move for?
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Far out! From Townsville to Wellington!!!!!!!! You're going to friggin' freeze! Whatcha doin that big move for?

I know!! All the way from tropical Townsville to windy cold Wellington!! :? Bf and I are packing up and going to film school.... + a screenwriting course. That's the plan at this stage anyway. Can't wait!
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    OMG, you & DP in the same city?!?!??!? WATCH OUT Wellingtonians!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

We'll have to have a big PJ sesh when I'm in Wlg sometime. :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    morello wrote:
    OMG, you & DP in the same city?!?!??!? WATCH OUT Wellingtonians!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

We'll have to have a big PJ sesh when I'm in Wlg sometime. :D

Let's all just take a minute to clarify that DP = doompony in this sentence...... :? ;)
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I'm OK. No one has been reported dead, just two severe injuries. My dad almost died :( it was so scary. And we're still getting aftershocks!

Thanks, and of course :lol: , I'm from Christchurch! But nothing like this. We just had another big aftershock then, which are supposed to continue for the rest of the week. The city is unbelievable.
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Thanks, and of course :lol: , I'm from Christchurch! But nothing like this. We just had another big aftershock then, which are supposed to continue for the rest of the week. The city is unbelievable.

How often does Chch have earthquakes?
  • LieslLiesl Posts: 64
    Here in Christchurch its a bit shakey....7.1 on the ricterscale on the 4th, lots of damage, power still out in many areas of the city, water contaminated, the aftershocks are still comming and still really unsettling, hopefully they stop soon.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

How often does Chch have earthquakes?

We don't feel them all, but fairly often. Most of New Zealand is like that, but the last time we had one with this kind of effect was in 1931. The whole south island is full of fault lines, the biggest known goes through the southern alps. They've been expecting a really big one from that one, but this was from an unknown fault line, so scientists are saying "We're not trying to alarm you, but this isn't the big one we've been expecting." Which is fanfuckingtastic. Just what we need to hear.
    So far, there has been about 95 aftershocks felt. They just throw you back into that terror. Its awful. It's so miraculous that no one has died though, had it been a few hours earlier we'd probably all have lost someone. And everyone either has, or knows someone with a "if i hadn't of [insert action here], I would have died" story. It's pretty mindfucking.
  • We don't feel them all, but fairly often. Most of New Zealand is like that, but the last time we had one with this kind of effect was in 1931. The whole south island is full of fault lines, the biggest known goes through the southern alps. They've been expecting a really big one from that one, but this was from an unknown fault line, so scientists are saying "We're not trying to alarm you, but this isn't the big one we've been expecting." Which is fanfuckingtastic. Just what we need to hear.
    So far, there has been about 95 aftershocks felt. They just throw you back into that terror. Its awful. It's so miraculous that no one has died though, had it been a few hours earlier we'd probably all have lost someone. And everyone either has, or knows someone with a "if i hadn't of [insert action here], I would have died" story. It's pretty mindfucking.

I keep thinking the same thing. I have a friend who happened to be staying over with another friend. When he returned home, a huge bookshelf had fallen on top of his bed
  • We don't feel them all, but fairly often. Most of New Zealand is like that, but the last time we had one with this kind of effect was in 1931. The whole south island is full of fault lines, the biggest known goes through the southern alps. They've been expecting a really big one from that one, but this was from an unknown fault line, so scientists are saying "We're not trying to alarm you, but this isn't the big one we've been expecting." Which is fanfuckingtastic. Just what we need to hear.

I keep thinking the same thing. I have a friend who happened to be staying over with another friend. When he returned home, a huge bookshelf had fallen on top of his bed

It's crazy, huh? I know a girl in Kaipoi who's house got cracked in half pretty much, and she was on the top floor of the house and had to jump over this beam thing that had fallen down in her room, which had live wires going insane on it, in the dark. Our friends had to get work trucks and evac them out. They said Kaipoi has been totally under-reported.
    Had you been in an earthquake before, coming from Chicago? And, are you by any chance doing teaching at Canterbury?

It's crazy, huh? I know a girl in Kaipoi who's house got cracked in half pretty much, and she was on the top floor of the house and had to jump over this beam thing that had fallen down in her room, which had live wires going insane on it, in the dark. Our friends had to get work trucks and evac them out. They said Kaipoi has been totally under-reported.
    Had you been in an earthquake before, coming from Chicago? And, are you by any chance doing teaching at Canterbury?

I think there was a real small earthquake near Chicago last year, but I'd never experienced one that I'd felt before. I'm not doing teaching, but I might transfer to education back in the US so I'm taking one teaching class here. Can't decide what to do with this extra week off, I think I might head over to the west coast or up to the Nelson area. I just visited Queenstown, Wanaka, and Fiordlands last week which was mind-blowing, but I'm ready for some warmth.
  • I keep thinking the same thing. I have a friend who happened to be staying over with another friend. When he returned home, a huge bookshelf had fallen on top of his bed

I think there was a real small earthquake near Chicago last year, but I'd never experienced one that I'd felt before. I'm not doing teaching, but I might transfer to education back in the US so I'm taking one teaching class here. Can't decide what to do with this extra week off, I think I might head over to the west coast or up to the Nelson area. I just visited Queenstown, Wanaka, and Fiordlands last week which was mind-blowing, but I'm ready for some warmth.

Jeez, pretty big first one to feel! I suppose now if we experience earthquakes in the future, we'll either go "pffft," or we'll totally need new undies.
    So not on placement at Unlimited Paenga Tawhiti?
    The west coast is especially beautiful if you know where to go, and the inhabitants are one of a kind. Never been to Nelson, but no one complains!
  • i read this thread's title as "new zoolander..."
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Hi guys,

All well here in Palmy, but my Mum and rest of family live in Chch. Got the phonecall at 5am to 'turn the TV on, but don't worry, we are all ok'... Though it's not all good here in the Manawatu either. The river was dangerously close to bursting it's banks with all the rain and the Gorge has been closed due to slips etc. I'm telling you, mother nature is pissed off with us for some reason!

Hi to PJ fans everywherem and especially to all from New Zealand, even the Aucklanders :-)