Back to School nostalgia

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Ive been out of school for awhile. graduated from college in early 2007. This time of year always brings about that sad, hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. Sort of nostalgia and sadness, filled with regret.

By graduation time, I was ready to leave school, ready to do something different, as I had done the school stuff for the last 18 years of my life, right?

So, today, I got that feeling again. Kids are school shopping, ads tout Back to School sales. Football is starting up. Fall is just around the corner.

While I sure as hell dont miss the exams and the studying, I do miss the sense of home that was school. The sense of comfort. School was challenging for me. Mostly because I actually cared and got good grades and while everyone else was partying, I put my nose to the grindstone.

I think our generation is dealing with that right now. Post college, what do you do? After switching classes every year since kindergarden, and every 3 months since high school, work life, adulthood seems foreign and so silly to me, even at 26. My jobs, the few ive had, almost like clockwork, begin to bore me, after a few months. But theres no class change coming.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I am going back to school for the first time in years :shock:

I wonder if I need a new first day of school outfit :lol:
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i hear ya... just graduated in may... in the midst of an existential crisis

looking into grad school :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I am going back to school for the first time in years :shock:

ha... i got one for my first day of teaching
    a nice jacket with the suede elbow patches... super cliche academia :geek:

its still fun playing dress up for the first day

i had my mom take my picture and mark my height in the closet too :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I thought this was going to be a Thornton Mellon appreciation thread...

Thornton Melon: What's your favorite subject?
    Bubbles: Poetry.
    Thornton Melon: Really? Well, maybe you can help me straighten out my Longfellow.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I thought this was going to be a Thornton Mellon appreciation thread...

Thornton Melon: What's your favorite subject?
    Bubbles: Poetry.
    Thornton Melon: Really? Well, maybe you can help me straighten out my Longfellow.

:lol:

the nice thing about school being back in session....them damn kids aren't around during my lunch hour when i go out :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I am going back to school for the first time in years :shock:

ha... i got one for my first day of teaching
    a nice jacket with the suede elbow patches... super cliche academia :geek:

its still fun playing dress up for the first day

i had my mom take my picture and mark my height in the closet too :lol:

OMG that is so cute!! I love it!! :geek: :D
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Colleges back in session=long lines at Dunkin Donuts, no seats on the Green Line trolleys, and reading about the unfortunate ones falling off balconies, roofs and fire escapes.

Welcome to Boston.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I probably miss college more than anything!

No question, the best time of my life!!!

I've been out of college now for 6 or so years, and I keep it alive by my college buddies and I going back ever year for a football weekend. It's soooo much fun! We all live in all parts of the country, but we all manage to get back for one awesome weekend a year.

Can't wait!

Go Hawkeyes!!! :D

• I think our generation is dealing with that right now. Post college, what do you do? After switching classes every year since kindergarden, and every 3 months since high school, work life, adulthood seems foreign and so silly to me, even at 26. My jobs, the few ive had, almost like clockwork, begin to bore me, after a few months. But theres no class change coming.

Take that attitude and apply to a job you want to do. Easy as that.

Or just go get your Master's.
    NERDS!