Netflix

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Who uses it?

Good? Bad?

EDIT:

So I signed up for it, but none of the movies I wanted to watch last night were streaming.

Is Netflix going to eventually stream everything?

Picking a movie is usually a spontaneous event for me. By the time it comes in the mail, I may or may not feel like seeing it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fixer83fixer83 Posts: 6
    You cant't download from netflix its all streaming. You can save movies to your queue but all movies are not available to watch instantly. I use my xbox rather than my mac seems to work better. With ps3 and wii you need a disc from netflix in order to watch instantly but its free. I use netflix every day and love it. I get 2-3 blu-rays sent to my house once a week and watch alot of instant all for 10 bucks a month.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    fixer83 wrote:
    You cant't download from netflix its all streaming.
    That's what I meant. ;)

So with my Mac, I wouldn't need a disc? You think the PS3 would work better?
  • fixer83fixer83 Posts: 6
    No disc for mac or pc or xbox. hard to say which would be better. which ever has the best connection. ps3 will run HD or what they call HD.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I have Netflix and stream to my PS3 all the time. It works incredibly well. HD movies and shows take about 5-10 seconds to load (buffer) and that's it. The quality is great and I couldn't be more happy with it.
    It takes a disc to run, but Sony has said they are going to eventually make it disc-less and have it as an app in the near future.
    mca47 wrote:
    I have Netflix and stream to my PS3 all the time. It works incredibly well. HD movies and shows take about 5-10 seconds to load (buffer) and that's it. The quality is great and I couldn't be more happy with it.
    It takes a disc to run, but Sony has said they are going to eventually make it disc-less and have it as an app in the near future.
    While the PS3 has a much better video card, my Mac has everything else better I would assume. I wonder which would work quicker.. I guess if my Mac is on all the time anyways, that's one less step, right?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    You can do both. You just have to log in.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cool. That's the answer I was looking for.

Is there any contract, or is it month by month?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cool. That's the answer I was looking for.

Is there any contract, or is it month by month?

Month by month. You can pause it at any time and start right back up.
    While the PS3 has a much better video card, my Mac has everything else better I would assume. I wonder which would work quicker.. I guess if my Mac is on all the time anyways, that's one less step, right?

You can still stream to any PC or Mac once you sign up for Netflix.
    I stream to my PS3 when I'm at home because I prefer watching movies/shows on my 50" HDTV.

When I travel for work, I'll watch stuff on my laptop.

It's also not really a matter of speed. Both will stream at the same rate.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I use my iPhone. It's instant!
    I'll be back

as of yesterday? Downloaded the app. Yet to try it out. Can't imagine my battery will make it through a movie
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

as of yesterday? Downloaded the app. Yet to try it out. Can't imagine my battery will make it through a movie

Just charge it up first. Lord knows I watched Tango & Cash with it plugged in so I wouldn't miss a second of its greatness.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • So I signed up for it, but none of the movies I wanted to watch last night were streaming.

Picking a movie is usually a spontaneous event for me. By the time it comes in the mail, I may or may not feel like seeing it.
    So I signed up for it, but none of the movies I wanted to watch last night were streaming.

It's possible they might in the future, but as of now, their streaming choices are limited.
    My guess is that it won't happen soon though. They have invested a lot of money in all those DVDs and Blu-ray discs.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Movie distributors and studios are starting to use dvd release dates as leverage against Netflix to gain a larger piece of the profit. What I mean is:

Distributors make more money from distribution methods like Cable/Satellite than they do from Netflix. They want more money from Netflix for the discs than they are currently getting. Netflix doesn't think it should give them more money. Distributors then withhold disc sales from Netflix for an amount of time after the movie has been viewable on Cable/Satellite in order to preserve higher revenue streams. Then they release the discs for sale to Netflix after whatever amount of time they think will make them the most money.

That and...

Some distributors are starting to use their entire catalog of new/upcoming releases against Netflix for this same purpose. They are threatening to withhold all future releases from Netflix and shut them out of the picture completely.

Both of these things are partly responsible for the reason Netflix streaming catalog is so limited. It may be subject to a separate contract (as non-physical media) between the distributor and Netflix. With some new releases, Netflix may have them right away, but only for a limited window of viewing opportunity.

I wanted to watch Wall-e yesterday knowing that it was available some time ago, but it was gone. Then I remembered that it was labeled as a "Starz Play" movie which falls under the above limitation.

See the following industry article for reference: http://aamproject.org/netflix-announces-online-dvd-rentals-right-to-more-movies/1552
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I love Netflix. Absolutely love it. I've had it at least four years.

There was a deal signed several months ago between Netflix and Warner Brothers, where Netflix agreed to hold off making new titles from that studio available to its customers, in exchange for an increase in the number of titles Netflix could make available to watch instantly.

Warner Brothers essentially wanted DVDs in stores for a month or two prior to them being available for rental.

I can't really attest to the quality of the titles available to watch instantly. Seems to me they tend to be somewhat older films (out at least one year), but because I don't stream them often at all, I don't pay that close attention to the titles.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    The watch instantly selection seems to have really increased. I've had 3 DVDs since December, but since receiving a Roku box for Christmas (so I can stream right to my TV), I didn't watch any of them until last weekend; I always watch stuff from the watch instantly selection instead. I guess this doesn't necessarily work if you have a particular movie in mind and it's not available. I tend to be more of a person who browses what's available and picks from the selection (yes, I was one of those people you'd see wandering up and down the aisles at Blockbuster). But I haven't been disappointed. I love Netflix! :D