TORNADO-20 Years Later

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Twenty years ago, I was getting ready to start my Freshman year at Plainfield High School in just a few short days. Mother Nature had other plans.

I lived on a farm, when Plainfield IL still had farms. My mom and I had just finished up afternoon feedings of the animals, because we wanted to get it done before the weather got worse. My step dad worked midnights so he was asleep. My step brother was at football practice at the High School. I remember my mom and I running inside as the sky turned green and the hail came down, we never lost power and my step dad slept through everything.

After a few minutes, the worst of the storm was over. My grandma called, my town was destroyed. We woke up my stepdad, and traveled the 1/2 mile to the Chaplin family farm to check on my Uncle Jim. This was a farm that was ran and managed by my family for over 100 years. It was gone. I remember collapsing on the ground sobbing.

And what about my brother? We couldn't get into town to check on him. We heard the news that the high school was destroyed.

Thankfully, my brother and my family survived. I still hide in the basement when the weather gets nasty outside. And this week, I will be remembering those families that didn't make it.

Hug your loved ones tight always folks. Everything can change in a brief moment.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/weather ... y-20100828
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I couldn't even imagine going through something like that, it's one of my biggest fears. Thankfully your family survived and I hope neither of you have to go through something like that again.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.