Stone Temple Vanilli

m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• :D:D:D:D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • SCMike10SCMike10 Posts: 195
    Stone Pimple Toilets. Ick...
    Irvine Meadows - Sep 13, 1992
    Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003
    Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004
    Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008
    ALL FOUR 09 PHILLY SHOWS!!
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    Interesting...

He is definitely using a backing track to accompany him if not 100% lip-synching. It's definitely not the album version of the song either-- the vocals sound higher pitched, not the old school growl from Core that had so many people calling him a Vedder rip-off. Also, when he comes back from the fall, he's able to sing the megaphone parts of the song without the megaphone.

I wonder why? It's not like STP is really all that hard to sing-- not that anyone can do it, but it's not like he's Chris Cornell. He doesn't really use a huge range in any of his songs.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    is it even him? ... the guy has so much clothes on and the hat covers half his face ... :)
  • I saw STP in Dublin in June. The same two weeks i saw RATM and PJ twice. How lucky was I? But STp for me have totally gone over the hill. The new ablum was so so, indeed the previous album Shangrila-dee-da was very average also. Core and Purple for me, are two of the great rock albums of the 90s and tracks played from those albums at the gig were great. But compared with Pearl Jam, how they have stayed relevant and fresh over the years, STP have become jaded, and no real new life has been breathed into them since their return from Hiatus.

And what got me is that they backing tracked 2nd and 3rd guitars rather than bringing in a session musician.

No fear of that happening in PJ.
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Interesting...

He is definitely using a backing track to accompany him if not 100% lip-synching. It's definitely not the album version of the song either-- the vocals sound higher pitched, not the old school growl from Core that had so many people calling him a Vedder rip-off. Also, when he comes back from the fall, he's able to sing the megaphone parts of the song without the megaphone.

I wonder why? It's not like STP is really all that hard to sing-- not that anyone can do it, but it's not like he's Chris Cornell. He doesn't really use a huge range in any of his songs.

I noticed this, too. Saw them in Chicago last week, and I was surprised how well he sang. I'm afraid the video may explain why. Damn it....
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dam was all stoked to see them next sat at jones beach

such a pet peeve of mine
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    interesting......going to see them next week at the Pavillion in Boston. Haven't seen them since Shangrila album. Wasn't impressed with that album. I'd also found that they play the same set list every night....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    dam was all stoked to see them next sat at jones beach

such a pet peeve of mine

Pet peeve? A pet peeve is when the lady in front of you writes a check in the supermarket. This is a fraudulent performance. If you can't sing, don't go on fucking tour!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    Whizbang wrote:
    interesting......going to see them next week at the Pavillion in Boston. Haven't seen them since Shangrila album. Wasn't impressed with that album. I'd also found that they play the same set list every night....

i have that signed by them.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    Can he still sing the same way he did during Core?
    I miss igotid88
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    ..not the old school growl from Core that had so many people calling him a Vedder rip-off.

With respect to his style, I always thought he owed more to Layne Staley than anyone...

This is really too bad though. I understand after the life this guy has lived if he can't sing like he used to anymore, but if I were in the audience I'd have felt cheated and wanted my money back. Just goes to show how spoilt many of us are by being fans of bands who really bring it when they show up to play live.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    saw them last night no way this is true

opened the show with Crackerman then addressed the crowd

"Quickly I would like to dispel a rumor that has spun its way around the interwebs that I am not singing the songs. There has never been a time in the 25-plus years that I've been singing with these guys and others that I haven't not sung."The assertion was a "travesty, "We are a rock 'n' roll band... that performs LIVE."
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...