How Do I Quit?

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been working for a doctor's office for the last 6 years. The doctor's wife has been a friend of my mom's for the past 15 years. On a good month I get 5 shifts and there have been times where they won't need me for a month. There's two doctors and whenever either of them take holiday's I don't work. It's not even worth my time anymore. I have another part-time job, so I don't need to do both to survive financially.

So how do I tell her? They're like my family. I feel like i'm at home working there and I will miss it but the money and the shifts aren't there. But I can't tell her that because I know she'll be insulted, that's just the kind of person she is.
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited August 2010
    typical business etiqutte is to show up drunk....or write them a letter and hand deliver it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... gQFT9CsGXU
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Can you tell her you feel like 'it's time to move on, I really love working with everyone, you guys are like family, but I want to pursue other interests' and leave it at that?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    punch her in the fudd
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    zchick wrote:
    Can you tell her you feel like 'it's time to move on, I really love working with everyone, you guys are like family, but I want to pursue other interests' and leave it at that?

Ya, I could try that. I'm probably just reading too much into it. It can't be that hard. I'm just nervous as hell.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I'd just tell them the truth. Yeah, they might feel insulted, but aren't they insulting you with the crappy hours/shifts? If they truly are like family, any backlash would probably blow over in a week or two anyways.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I'd just tell them the truth. Yeah, they might feel insulted, but aren't they insulting you with the crappy hours/shifts? If they truly are like family, any backlash would probably blow over in a week or two anyways.

Definitely tell the truth...

Or... say you're planning on taking another job and you wont' be available to them any more.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • dunkman wrote:
    punch her in the fudd

:lol: Hey, what's a fudd?
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Tell them the job is getting in the way of your crack smoking habit.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    dunkman wrote:
    punch her in the fudd

Hey i finally got your avatar!!! :lol::lol::lol: , sorry rarely sober.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    81 wrote:
    typical business etiqutte is to show up drunk....or write them a letter and hand deliver it.

how about show up drunk with a hand written letter you wrote while getting drunk.

that has to be a winning combo!

Seriously though. Just tell them the truth you need something more steady and stable. Give ample notice
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    intodeep wrote:
    81 wrote:

how about show up drunk with a hand written letter you wrote while getting drunk.

that has to be a winning combo!

Seriously though. Just tell them the truth you need something more steady and stable. Give ample notice

nice....maybe some puke stains on it.

I'll write it real quick

Dear _________:

Take this job and shove it. I'm not working here anymore.

Love,
    Jukee
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    :lol: You guy's crack me up. That's what i'll do get drunk, smoke some crack and then write them a letter and see how it turns out, hopefully she'll be able to understand it.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Jukee wrote:
    I've been working for a doctor's office for the last 6 years. The doctor's wife has been a friend of my mom's for the past 15 years. On a good month I get 5 shifts and there have been times where they won't need me for a month. There's two doctors and whenever either of them take holiday's I don't work. It's not even worth my time anymore. I have another part-time job, so I don't need to do both to survive financially.

So how do I tell her? They're like my family. I feel like i'm at home working there and I will miss it but the money and the shifts aren't there. But I can't tell her that because I know she'll be insulted, that's just the kind of person she is.
    What does your Mama say? Talk it over with her.
    Perhaps the Doctors office can work more and better shifts in for you after all this time if you want to approach that instead of leaving the position.
    Figure out just what you need and want and approach them with that. You might be surprised.
    They have seen you grow the past 6 years and maybe wonder why you haven't asked for more.
    With the job market as it is it might be good to hold on but get enough to be satisfied.
    If they can not accommodate what you need and want there should be no hard feelings, a mutual split.
    In business we don't work as a favor and we shouldn't be taken advantage of, it is all business even if it is like family.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    If you ask nicely, I'll bet Pandora will tell them for you. And when she's done, they'll love you even more and will probably make you cookies.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    If you ask nicely, I'll bet Pandora will tell them for you. And when she's done, they'll love you even more and will probably make you cookies.
    MMMMM Cookies...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I would just go with the truth..I can't see why she would get offended if the truth isn't offensive....or just swipe some smelling salts from the goody cabinet.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Tell them your finances require that you seek a job with that gives you more hours. Its nothing personal. Its reality.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008