Computer geeks lend me your ears!! :-)

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Alright computer wizards.....A friend of mine just bought a new HP laptop...If he has it hardwired with the ethernet, he has no problem being on line. But if he is using the wireless, he cannot get online. Even though his router is working, and his laptop shows that there is a good connection and it shows him on, he cannot access any page...We have checked the router, the settings, the switch, and everything looks good, but no go....any ideas? Thought I would check here first before I had him call India...Thanks in advance for any help! :-)
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Alright computer wizards.....A friend of mine just bought a new HP laptop...If he has it hardwired with the ethernet, he has no problem being on line. But if he is using the wireless, he cannot get online. Even though his router is working, and his laptop shows that there is a good connection and it shows him on, he cannot access any page...We have checked the router, the settings, the switch, and everything looks good, but no go....any ideas? Thought I would check here first before I had him call India...Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

Okay I work in IT support..

This is a weird one, get another device to connect to that network and if it can then some settings on his wireless adapter are wrong, if not then it's router settings.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    reboot....the router...

i know it sounds silly, but every now and then our router would have a brain fart and need to be unplugged.

if not that, make sure you have the wireless on the computer turned on and make sure when you connect to the network you use the correct password
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

i know it sounds silly, but every now and then our router would have a brain fart and need to be unplugged.

if not that, make sure you have the wireless on the computer turned on and make sure when you connect to the network you use the correct password

If he says what he says then he wouldn't see himself on the network if he didn't type the right password in.

But to clarify what do you mean OP when you mean you can see yourself on the network?
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

If he says what he says then he wouldn't see himself on the network if he didn't type the right password in.

But to clarify what do you mean OP when you mean you can see yourself on the network?

i'm a layman....not even sure how i would find myself on a network....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

i'm a layman....not even sure how i would find myself on a network....

Was asking OP :P
    Brisk. wrote:

Was asking OP :P

:x :( :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Try a ping test to another device on your network. I think that will let you know whether or not it's on your network.

You said you checked the router settings. Is there a MAC address filter?

What kind of router is it? Some Linksys routers have a weird security feature on them where wireless devices can only be added (for a short period of time) if you've pushed a physical button on the router itself.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

What he is telling me is that when he clicks on the little computers on the bottom right hand side of the screen(sorry, only way I can describe it! lol ) is that it says that he is connected and shows a good signal. He also says that he can connect to the wireless network with his ipod....Does that make sense? :-)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

What he is telling me is that when he clicks on the little computers on the bottom right hand side of the screen(sorry, only way I can describe it! lol ) is that it says that he is connected and shows a good signal. He also says that he can connect to the wireless network with his ipod....Does that make sense? :-)

Does the iPod use the internet okay?

He have a password on his network?
    He said ipod works fine and that he is certain he is using the right password. It only asked him for it once and then said he was connected.

• arqarq Posts: 8,012
    My old laptop used to do that to me all the time :evil: I formatted the computer but nothing sometimes the computers are just a**holes
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    He said ipod works fine and that he is certain he is using the right password. It only asked him for it once and then said he was connected.

Well sounds like his laptop has some wierd settings. Has he tried Firefox or Google Chrome? What operatin system is he on?
    Brisk. wrote:

Well sounds like his laptop has some wierd settings. Has he tried Firefox or Google Chrome? What operatin system is he on?

I ASSume he is using 7 since it is only a few days old but could be Vista, and I would also guess that he is using Wind Expl...Didnt think of that. I will suggest FF and she what happens! Thanks!! :-)

Brisk. wrote:

I ASSume he is using 7 since it is only a few days old but could be Vista, and I would also guess that he is using Wind Expl...Didnt think of that. I will suggest FF and she what happens! Thanks!! :-)

IE is the bane of the world.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100

My computer did the same exact thing.

My fix = buying a new computer.

Macbook Pro :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    Brisk. wrote:
    quote="pjtradeking"]He said ipod works fine and that he is certain he is using the right password. It only asked him for it once and then said he was connected.

Well sounds like his laptop has some wierd settings. Has he tried Firefox or Google Chrome? What operatin system is he on?[/quote]

I ASSume he is using 7 since it is only a few days old but could be Vista, and I would also guess that he is using Wind Expl...Didnt think of that. I will suggest FF and she what happens! Thanks!! :-)[/quote]

IE is the bane of the world.[/quote]

Really....I am using it right now and have never had a pr.........................................................................................................................

;-)

I kid I kid! :-) Thanks for the help!

FrankieG wrote:

What a fool, you seriously brought a new computer cos of that? Not to mention you got a Mac.
    If you use any form of chat them pm me it as it's easier to diagnose stuff like that way.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Brisk. wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:

What a fool, you seriously brought a new computer cos of that? Not to mention you got a Mac.

That and it was 6 years old, had a nasty virus, all outdated software, and broken houseing.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    FrankieG wrote:

That and it was 6 years old, had a nasty virus, all outdated software, and broken houseing.[/quote]

All it needed was a format which takes about an hour! :lol:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    reboot....the router...

Wow

I would of thought you would have said just my EVO

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    To me this sounds more like a setting in IE as opposed to the modem, router or wireless card. If it's a newer OS you can actually have the OS itself diagnose where the issue may lie.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • sometimes if you have Windows Wireless zero config running and another wireless connectivity app, it will screw things up.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • the router setting on you computer needs to have DHCP enabled.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    It could also be a firewall blocking IE from accessing the net. Try pinging google. If that's successful then there's something stopping the browser from connecting. Try another browser, or adjust the security settings within the firewall.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Brisk. wrote:
    Not to mention you got a Mac.

Macs are greater than PCs

speaking as someday who uses both types of machines and has done every day for over 12 years... not speaking as someone who reads on a PCGeek website about how bad macs are.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.