10 Day Traffic Jam??!!!!!!

LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Oh my god---I would have to just leave my car...........

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/chinas-60-mile-traffic-jam-is-breaking-up/

After 10 days of bumper-to-bumper stop-and-start congestion, a 60-mile-long, 10,000-vehicle traffic jam on a major freeway west of Beijing has been broken up, Chinese traffic authorities said on Tuesday.

The state television network CCTV said traffic had returned to normal on the Beijing-Zhangjiakou freeway, which stretches from the capital’s northwest suburbs to inner Mongolia. But traffic authorities in Zhangjiakou, about 90 miles northwest of Beijing, said the road remained crowded and that a long line of trucks was waiting at the Mongolia border for permission to enter the highway.

News reports said some drivers were trapped in the jam for days, and roadside residents, weaving on bicycles amid the stalled vehicles, made a killing by selling them food.

“The sellers come offering to sell water at crazy prices, but if you said ‘no’ or complained about the price they threaten to break your shields,” one driver told The Telegraph.

The freeway, favored by tourists visiting a popular stretch of the Great Wall, has become more crowded since large coal reserves were discovered in inner Mongolia, and trucks began hauling coal to Beijing-area power plants. Traffic came to a halt after workers began repairs on the road last week. Congestion is likely to continue until road work ends in mid-September, authorities said.
So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    think they need some good old american clover leaves or at least some exit ramps for pete's sake?
    no one ever thought of this?
    oh brother :roll: :shock: :roll:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    And people say that the Chinese being bad drivers is just a stereotype. How the fuck can you be in a traffic jam for 9 days!!!
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Whoa!!!

And I nearly fainted from hunger last week when a (usually) 20 minute bus ride home took NINETY MINUTES! It was standing-room only. The bus ended up taking as much time as walking. I did not get out and walk because I did not have the strength to drag my wheeled trolley thingie, which was full of various shopping items including a gallon of water. It was still very warm and sunny- if it had been dark and cool, I probably would have risked lowering my blood sugar even further for the walk home.

Many L.A. roads were closed because the President was in town, partying at the home of a Hollywood producer in Hancock Park. Just to make all of the working class plebs as inconvenienced as possible, most of the closed roads were NOT used by the president's motorcade. The roads were not even connected: Part of Fairfax was closed. A mile east, a parallel stretch of La Brea was closed. Further east, the perpendicular Wilshire Blvd was closed for half a block! Wha???? Half a block? So all the cars that just spent 40 minutes crawling for a whole mile had to merge three lanes of eastbound traffic and make an awkward left up a side street.

We felt loved. Hail Obama.
    "May you live in interesting times."