I wanna buy a turtle

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
or a tortoise.
I've never had a pet, not even a goldfish and I want one now.
Not getting a dog - too much work and I've been scared of them my whole life. Cats set off allergies so they're out.
I love birds so I was thinking of maybe getting a parakeet or something, but then the idea of a couple of little turtles hit me.
So anyone who's had them before have any advice or stories to tell? do share :)

Also, hello again everyone. It's been months since I've been here.
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    turtles are cute...never had one, but they came into the clinic I worked at every now and then. I just know that every few months they need beak and nail trims.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HatrietHatriet Posts: 80
    Hello welcome back :D , I have a hedgehog, because he's only got 3 legs at the minute so I need to look after him and keep him in the house for a bit, I think you should go and look in the bushes and find a 3 legged hedgehog, they're awesome! I've never had a turtle or tortise before though, sorry :(
    Harriet. :)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I had a Wood Turtle when i was a kid, found it and made him my pet, he was awesome!!! Had to let him go when we moved a couple of years later. Took a couple of days for him to get used to me, but then he would come out his shell when ever i took him out and eat right out of my hand!!! He was a land turtle though, you maye want a swimmer, two eastern painter turtles would be a good start. Can feed them live gold fish when they get big enough!!! make sure you wash your hands after handling them. Your gona need a nice sized tank.
    zchick wrote:
    turtles are cute...never had one, but they came into the clinic I worked at every now and then. I just know that every few months they need beak and nail trims.

You trim a Turtles Beak? seriously?
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I had a turtle when I was about 10 or 12. He stunk big time! About 2 years after I got him he just stopped eating. It's amazing though, he went without eating for months but then finally kicked the bucket. I thought it was useless having one as a pet but hey I was only a kid at the time.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Dont know much about them... but I do know they are illegal to own around me ( i think all of NJ ) because of some weird laws...

Also, Dont quote me, but I think they carry salmonella (sp?) ?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • RK202995RK202995 Posts: 11
    We own two west African mud turtles. They are a good choice because they are low maintenance and do not grow too large.
    Some consideration points:
    1. As noted, they can be carriers of salmanoella (sp.) and other diseases - they are rather dirty buggers but as long as you don't handle them, there should be no health concerns. (Also, you shouldn't handle them because it will cause them stress)
    2. They are technically illegal in many states which you should consider. However, the law is basically never enforced and you can find multiple places to buy online.
    3. The setup costs do get a little hefty. Depending on the turtle, you are probably going to need a tank, lid, filter, toys/plants, gravel, food, lighting, thermometers, and more. Turtles require specific climate controlled areas including air and water temperature regulation (both if the turtle is aquatic or semi-aquatic).

All that said, once you are set up, they are very easy to take care of. Basically, feed them as directed, and clean the tank every few months. They are fun and have personalities.

Thanks for listening.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    frightened turtles.

:?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the nice thinga bout turtles....when you get tired of them, you can make soup 8-)

i once dated this girl who had a crazy mom that had a pair of snapping turtles in her basement work sink. :? not sure why, but they sat in that sink all day doing a whole lot of nothing. sad life for them. she also had rats. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RK202995 wrote:
    We own two west African mud turtles. They are a good choice because they are low maintenance and do not grow too large.
    Some consideration points:
    1. As noted, they can be carriers of salmanoella (sp.) and other diseases - they are rather dirty buggers but as long as you don't handle them, there should be no health concerns. (Also, you shouldn't handle them because it will cause them stress)
    2. They are technically illegal in many states which you should consider. However, the law is basically never enforced and you can find multiple places to buy online.
    3. The setup costs do get a little hefty. Depending on the turtle, you are probably going to need a tank, lid, filter, toys/plants, gravel, food, lighting, thermometers, and more. Turtles require specific climate controlled areas including air and water temperature regulation (both if the turtle is aquatic or semi-aquatic).

All that said, once you are set up, they are very easy to take care of. Basically, feed them as directed, and clean the tank every few months. They are fun and have personalities.

Thanks for listening.

i scene two of these once in a pet store, one of them buried himself in the gravel at the bottom and would just poke it head up, while other one just kept swimming around, but there was no land? how long can they stay down?

Nevermind, those were softshell turtles
  • "What type of dog is this?"

"It's not a dog, it's a turtle."
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    or a tortoise.
    Not getting a dog - too much work and I've been scared of them my whole life. Cats set off allergies so they're out.
    I love birds so I was thinking of maybe getting a parakeet or something, but then the idea of a couple of little turtles hit me.

This is just my opinion, but go for a turtle before a bird. Bird's require a lot of upkeep, can be loud, and messy...and on top of that, I have never understood the want to cage something that can fly?? Talk about defying an animals anatomy and purpose. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    i like tuttles
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I don't know, hard to cuddle a turtle, what about a gerbil or hamster? You know who else is sociable? the lizard type guys, the very colorful ones that live in an aquarium. When I had my salt water fish tank and we would visit the store for supplies they had these, way cute to watch climbing the trees. No smell either.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    You want one of these????

789.jpg
    :shock:

;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    or a tortoise.

get a reptile, amphibians fun times book.
    do some research on turtles before getting on.
    what kind of turtle?
    where do you live?
    can you go to a pond and find one?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    pandora wrote:
    I don't know, hard to cuddle a turtle, what about a gerbil or hamster? You know who else is sociable? the lizard type guys, the very colorful ones that live in an aquarium. When I had my salt water fish tank and we would visit the store for supplies they had these, way cute to watch climbing the trees. No smell either.

Bearded Dragons are bad ass, and yes, get a turtle book and find out if you really want one or not...I got hermit crabs cuz I thought they were cool, I found them to be boring and smelly.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I had a turtle when I was a kid as well...Loved him like a brother. Left him in a bucket of water one afternoon.....in the middle of winter....in the garage....and forgot....to ....bring ...him ....in!! My bad....So if you do get one, make sure to bring him inside when its cold..... :oops:
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I must say a dog is your best friend. Once you love one you will never again be frightened and the love you share for that dogs lifetime will be one of the your most precious treasures. To spend your life not knowing this love is cheating yourself. You could start small, a little dog who needs a good home, a rescue situation. You could help each other. Maybe just think about it. :D
    turtles and snakes can be sensitive and have special needs.
    warmth, fresh water, fresh food, most cases live food.
    lots of space.
    i do not believe in small enclosures.
    you want your turtle to roam your home.
    box turtles are cool.
    painted turtles, very common turtle @ a pet store.
    is that a eastern painted turtle or other?
    is that a alligator snapping turtle eating my leg?
    all reptiles and amphibians stinks.

how many flies do you think a tiny treefrog needs to survive?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I have 2 turtles, Bill and Ted, 2 Red Eared Sliders. They are cool and all but don't be fooled, there is a lot of work and $$ to invest. When they are little they are OK. All you have to do is take the turtles out of the little tank, empty the water and fill it back up.

When we got our turtles in 2006 their shells were smaller than a quarter. Now they are almost the size of an small plate. They are in a 75 gallon tank and the filter and tank needs to be cleaned and changed out about once a month. There are also filters, carbon, and all sorts of aquarium supplies you need. This all adds up. Don't forget food as well. They are cool pets but also a big commitment.

Also, many turtles can live 75-100 years if well cared for.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

I've kept turtles my entire life, now I have my wildlife rehabilitators license and take in sick and injured native turtles. Turtles live a long time and need very specialized habitats and nutrition to have a quality life. Check out the link I posted, it's the best one on the net.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • I highly recommend pet mice. They are remarkably intelligent for their tiny size. They are like having wee baby monkeys with their soft fur and prehensile tails.

They easily learn words (well, intonations, probably.) Mine understand "Dinner!" "Back" "Toast!" "Ready to go?" and the song "Who wants to come out and get some exercise?"
    I am working on getting the six week old octuplets to each learn their names. Another member at The Fun Mouse.com has done this successfully, and she has a LOT more mice than me.

Mice are great for people with limited funds and limited space. They cost almost nothing to feed bits of organic grain, crumbs of human food and produce. Several different personalities (females) can live in a few square feet of cage space. Or one very spoiled male mouse can be an extra-special pet.

Octuplets343.jpg
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    they are cute but they can spread some diseases so you have watch out for that. Also I don't know if this pertains to all turtles but I remember my friend had one in college that escaped almost every single day. They move a lot faster than they get credit for.

Oh also, I don't know the situation with turtles but I'm glad you're not getting a bird. I'm not familiar with all the details, but as far as I know the exotic pet bird trade is really sketchy.
    Lauri wrote:
    they are cute but they can spread some diseases so you have watch out for that. Also I don't know if this pertains to all turtles but I remember my friend had one in college that escaped almost every single day. They move a lot faster than they get credit for.

Oh also, I don't know the situation with turtles but I'm glad you're not getting a bird. I'm not familiar with all the details, but as far as I know the exotic pet bird trade is really sketchy.
    softshell turtles haul ass
    i've found many of them when i was a kid
    they are a hoot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyUmGHdK9e8

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I think it would be easier if you got a turtleneck. They cost nothing to feed and you can play with them all you want.

ShirtTurtleNeckTS801.jpg
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    man up and get a dog :);)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    haffajappa wrote:
    man up and get a dog :);)

Dog...pfffft. This is what kind of pet real men have.

mtlion.jpg
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/