Options

Cell Phone Comapanies

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So I just got off the phone with Rogers. My bill is roughly $48 which covers 200 weekday minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. I don't have caller ID,an answering machine or the internet on it. I need a new phone and my contract is up in March so I figured I would just cancel, pay them $140 to get out of my contract and sign up with another company. Anyway's, the lady on the phone asked me why I wanted to cancel, so I said it is because I lost one of my jobs. She then say's well maybe I can help you out and lower your bill. She say's that I can keep exactly the same plan I have with added incoming text messages for free and 50 outgoing a month. Guess how much she lowered my bill?!?! It will now be $25.52/month and I dodn't have to sign another 3 year contract. She said to just go and by a Pay As You Go phone and stick my Rogers sim card in it. I'm in shock that all I had to do was tell them I lost one of my jobs and they lowered my bill in half, I should of done this months ago when my husband was on strike for 14 months.

I'm just curious how much your cell phone bill is a month? I've been told that us Canadians get ripped off big time.
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited August 2010
    depends on what you get, but ours (2 lines) runs about $170 per month.

We get 1500 any time minutes to split
    free nights and weekends
    free anytime cell to cell (regardless of carrier)
    unlimited texts (incoming and outgoing)
    unlimted data

we don't have a home phone or home internet. we use the phone as a modem. 4G is cool like that.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    that's a crazy deal ... cuz most of my bill is tied up in system access fees and 911 and crap like that ...

i pay $75 all in a month for an iphone ... i get:

150 daytime mins
    fab 5
    early evenings
    unlimited evenings and wkends
    500 mb data
    caller id
    voicemail
    unlimited texting

i'm with bell here in toronto ...
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I have an iPhone so it's AT&T.

$83.05/month for me.
    The breakdown is: $39.99 for 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night & weekend minutes, anytime rollover minutes.
    $30 for unlimited data.
    $5 for 200 text messages/month.
    The remaining bit is taxes, etc.

I've never gone over on minutes. But I'm not big on long phone conversations. And I've only exceeded the text messages once, it's something like 5 or 10 cents per message if I go over.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Okay so I was getting ripped off paying $48 bucks for what I had, no internet, no caller ID, no perks at all. I always thought that paying over $50 bucks for a cell phone was rediculous but now I see why people do. $75 to $85 bucks a month for an iphone doesn't seem at all bad.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    we use Boost (Sprint) and for $50 a month ($53 if yo use the auto pay) you get everything except the blackberry package...unlimited. with the stuff for blackberry its 60 i think...don't quote me on that

I'm very happy with it
    For that $50 I get:

Unlimited Minutes
    Unlimited Texting
    No Restrictions on calling times
    Internet (need my PJ.com/10C !)
    Facebook app
    twitter
    Gmail
    AIM
    all kinds of other apps
    coverage is great
    signal is very good
    phones are pretty nice
    I have a samsung incognito w/disappearing touch face and opens up for qwerty full screen and video/still camera....cost me 129 with activation (free)
    no contract
    just use autopay and it stays on without you having to do anything except make sure you have $50 on your credit card each month
    all that junk
    for $50 a month isn't bad

I hear Cricket is only $35 a month but i think they only work near metropolitan areas, and I don't know if cricket has absolutely unlimited everything like boost does
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    StillHere wrote:
    we use Boost (Sprint) and for $50 a month ($53 if yo use the auto pay) you get everything except the blackberry package...unlimited. with the stuff for blackberry its 60 i think...don't quote me on that

I'm very happy with it
    For that $50 I get:

Unlimited Minutes
    Unlimited Texting
    No Restrictions on calling times
    Internet (need my PJ.com/10C !)
    Facebook app
    twitter
    Gmail
    AIM
    all kinds of other apps
    coverage is great
    signal is very good
    phones are pretty nice
    I have a samsung incognito w/disappearing touch face and opens up for qwerty full screen and video/still camera....cost me 129 with activation (free)
    no contract
    just use autopay and it stays on without you having to do anything except make sure you have $50 on your credit card each month
    all that junk
    for $50 a month isn't bad

I hear Cricket is only $35 a month but i think they only work near metropolitan areas, and I don't know if cricket has absolutely unlimited everything like boost does

that doesn't sound too bad. they have some decent looking phones as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I have an iPhone so it's AT&T.

$83.05/month for me.
    The breakdown is: $39.99 for 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night & weekend minutes, anytime rollover minutes.
    $30 for unlimited data.
    $5 for 200 text messages/month.
    The remaining bit is taxes, etc.

I've never gone over on minutes. But I'm not big on long phone conversations. And I've only exceeded the text messages once, it's something like 5 or 10 cents per message if I go over.

That's what I have. I've been going over on my texts lately, and its 10 cents a message, so my criteria is if I hit 300 messages consistently, I'll switch to the $15 for 1500 messages, because the extra 100 messages makes it the same price.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    polaris_x wrote:
    that's a crazy deal ... cuz most of my bill is tied up in system access fees and 911 and crap like that ...

150 daytime mins
    fab 5
    early evenings
    500 mb data
    caller id
    voicemail
    unlimited texting

How much do you pay for 911?
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

150 daytime mins
    fab 5
    early evenings
    500 mb data
    caller id
    voicemail
    unlimited texting

How much do you pay for 911?

according to my bill ... $0.75 ... i should change my daytime mins to 200 actually now that i've relooked at my bill ...
  • Options
    I pay 6.95 for the system access fee and 0.75 for 911 as well.
    I can't stand Bell though, i'll never sing up with them again for anything.
  • Options
    Jukee wrote:
    I pay 6.95 for the system access fee and 0.75 for 911 as well.
    I can't stand Bell though, i'll never sing up with them again for anything.

i like most here in ontario have gone with both and unfortunately rogers won the battle of the suck-ass corporations with me ... so, i'm stuck with bell ...
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    no FEE for 911

i understand how there is

but with mine its all-inclusive
    so no separate fee
    for e-911 and with gps you're in pretty good shape there
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    This is informative.
    I have a prepaid phone. I buy 1000 minutes whenever it gets low, 2-3 times a year. I like not having a monthly bill. You can't get a smart phone that way though, so there are some limitations.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    This is informative.
    I have a prepaid phone. I buy 1000 minutes whenever it gets low, 2-3 times a year. I like not having a monthly bill. You can't get a smart phone that way though, so there are some limitations.

really good option. that's what we used for several years via tmobile. i barely used mine, so that the monthy bill worked out to be less than $10 per month. The gf would typically be a refill every 3 months or so.

we also had a home line (free local and long distance) bundled with our home internet that ran anouther $80 or so per month. i figured we spent 110-120 per month for communitcation. we are paying more now, but i'm ok with that. it's nice having the internet everywhere.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg