galactic supervolcano erupts

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/7 ... -blackhole

supervolcano.jpg

A space telescope has captured the spectacular moment a "super volcano" exploded from a giant black hole in a galaxy about 50 million light years away from earth.

The photograph, taken by NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory and the NSF's Very Large Array, showed gas and radio emissions being blasted throughout the Messier 87 (M87) galaxy, Wired reports.

Scientists said the black hole was powering the super-volcano and that jets of energetic particles were preventing the formation of hundreds of millions of new stars.

New stars would normally form in the galaxy when the super-heated gas cooled.

Instead, the eruption interrupted this process, blasting away the cooled gas with such force that a shockwave travelled throughout the galaxy.

"Our results show in great detail that super massive black holes have a surprisingly good control over the evolution of the galaxies in which they live," scientist Norbert Werner was quoted as saying.

Researchers said the galactic eruption was similar to the recent Iceland volcano eruption, which shot plumes of ash and smoke into the atmosphere and disrupted flights across the globe.

"This analogy shows that even though astronomical phenomena can occur in exotic settings and over vast scales, the physics can be very similar to events on Earth," expert Aurora Simionescu said.
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I like a bit of light reading before bed, and that WAS refreshing :)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Ooo awesome.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Is incredible that all the things we see through a telescope are not in real time, depending on the distance that could have happened a long tome ago... How amazing.

Thanks for the article! :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That is really cool
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    It is not everyday you see a vocano erupt from a black hole.
    Thanks for the insight. :P