Why is it cool to be stupid?

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
There is an epidemic at the moment of girls acting thick... completely thick! What the fuck's that about? :?

Or is it just an English thing? :oops:
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    There is an epidemic at the moment of girls acting thick... completely thick! What the fuck's that about? :?

girls acting stupid?
    who says they're acting? :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i hate thick girls 8-)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    chadwick wrote:

girls acting stupid?
    :D

But seriously... in a lot of cases they say silly things and flutter their eyelashes and laugh at themselves and I just think 'wow, you really didn't get hugged as a kid, eh?'

Maybe it's just where I work :D but there are more than a few examples of it there and now I'm starting to see it everywhere and in a lot of cases you KNOW they must know it's a stupid thing to say.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    That's nothing Helen here in NY all the chicks act like the bimbos from the Jersey Shore debacle .. :oops:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    That's nothing Helen here in NY all the chicks act like the bimbos from the Jersey Shore debacle .. :oops:
    :oops: I just wanna shake them when they do it and ask 'why? For the love of god... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?' It makes no sense :D but it seems to be catching. I think it's cos of all the reality shows... the thick ones always do well.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Intelligent people will do stupid shit to fit in with the heard sometimes..
    Of course in a work environment they may be acting stupid to reduce their workload.

Yep, can be irritating especially when they posses the answers.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    :oops: I just wanna shake them when they do it and ask 'why? For the love of god... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?' It makes no sense :D but it seems to be catching. I think it's cos of all the reality shows... the thick ones always do well.

Yeah the reality shows are just another nail in society's self respect coffin ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Everyone has been jersey shored...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • This is where I would challenge my own thoughts. Maybe I'm the one that is missing out? I think where I am is the correct place to be. If everyone else is over there :arrow: and I'm not... maybe they know something I don't know. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong place?

I say be happy and be where you want to be and don't worry about whether they are with you or not. Regardless of how we got on this earth - we are different from one another. This is just one way people are different. I kind of like it that way. It's challenging sometimes to have to deal with people not thinking or behaving exactly how I think... but it's a good challenge overall and one that keeps life interesting.

I just want people to be nice. I don't like being challenged by mean, cruel or disrespectful people.

You could also look at it like this: If you aren't that way you are more likely to get promoted(?) and then you can fire them ;)
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    A bit off topic perhaps, but have I been living under a (comfortable) rock, or isn't that Jersey Shore thingy just actors?
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • :oops: I just wanna shake them when they do it and ask 'why? For the love of god... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?' It makes no sense :D but it seems to be catching. I think it's cos of all the reality shows... the thick ones always do well.[/quote]

LOTS OF MONEYfootballer wifes/girlfriends or the likes of jordan..stupid but very rich.cant be that darft if its the money that makes them happy or thier 15 mins of fame
    This is where I would challenge my own thoughts. Maybe I'm the one that is missing out? I think where I am is the correct place to be. If everyone else is over there :arrow: and I'm not... maybe they know something I don't know. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong place?

I say be happy and be where you want to be and don't worry about whether they are with you or not. Regardless of how we got on this earth - we are different from one another. This is just one way people are different. I kind of like it that way. It's challenging sometimes to have to deal with people not thinking or behaving exactly how I think... but it's a good challenge overall and one that keeps life interesting.

I just want people to be nice. I don't like being challenged by mean, cruel or disrespectful people.

You could also look at it like this: If you aren't that way you are more likely to get promoted(?) and then you can fire them ;)
    See I would like people to be themselves... I think there is a certain agegroup where they feel it's necessary to act a certain way or to mimic somebody and I think anyone who can't simply be themselves is a little sad :(

Ughhh... maybe there's always been that age group though!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    This is where I would challenge my own thoughts. Maybe I'm the one that is missing out? I think where I am is the correct place to be. If everyone else is over there :arrow: and I'm not... maybe they know something I don't know. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong place?

See I would like people to be themselves... I think there is a certain agegroup where they feel it's necessary to act a certain way or to mimic somebody and I think anyone who can't simply be themselves is a little sad :(

That agegroup always existed, but we/they just had better rolemodels than the kids today. I didn't grow up learning that your voice will only be heard if I bleach my hair, ppout my lips and act silly on the telly. Unless I wanted to be laughed at, quite the opposite today, where the Paris Hiltons have more "media-power" than the people you really ought to hear.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100

I can't stand girls like this...

And for some reason, I am always surrounded by them..
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • See I would like people to be themselves... I think there is a certain agegroup where they feel it's necessary to act a certain way or to mimic somebody and I think anyone who can't simply be themselves is a little sad :(

When you say you want them to be themselves, who says they aren't? That is who they currently are. You just don't think it is how they should be. Who they are annoys you. You want them to grow out of whatever it is that is annoying and start behaving the way you think they should behave. True or no? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just interpreting the statement through my own filter of life.

When my kids ask why people are mean on the playground and why the teacher can't make them stop being that way... I respond with the fact that there are plenty of adults that behave the same way and we can't do anything about them either. Just take care of you. So, it happens to middle schoolers, high schoolers, college kids, 30-somethings, mid-life crisis "I just turned 40" victims, and so on. IMO, really, the only time life is pure is from birth to age... 10 - not always, but the most likely time on earth.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    because it's stupid to be cool
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,028
    HH, who says it IS cool in the first place? I mean really. I think we can agree that just being ourselves with each other is the way to go, right?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    This is why the first peice of advice i give to young guys, when they ask where to meet girls is the Book Store, i tell them,"If they can read, your off to a pretty good start"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im feeling extremely uncool atm. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • im feeling extremely uncool atm. 8-)
    That's because we aren't joining that other... I'm okay with that ;) We can be uncool together :)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im feeling extremely uncool atm. 8-)
    That's because we aren't joining that other... I'm okay with that ;) We can be uncool together :)

i prefer standing on the outside looking in. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I don't think it's anything new. I've seen it since high school. Girls who could be perfectly smart just acting dumb to look submissive to boys. I remember once in college I said to my friend, "I wonder what would happen if I started wearing belly shirts (all the rage at the time), dropped out of college, and pretended I haven't a clue who Alice n' Chains are?" "Guys will be falling all over you" was her response. When was younger I hid my education, politics, and the details of my career from guys. Now I'm like f it.
  • runawayrunaway Posts: 427
    chadwick wrote:

girls acting stupid?
    :D

But seriously... in a lot of cases they say silly things and flutter their eyelashes and laugh at themselves and I just think 'wow, you really didn't get hugged as a kid, eh?'

Maybe it's just where I work :D but there are more than a few examples of it there and now I'm starting to see it everywhere and in a lot of cases you KNOW they must know it's a stupid thing to say.

so like, I don't want to work where you work, ya know, cuz those chicks, who wants to be around "that" type of epidemic
    Music is the universal language
    What's better than a cigar? Ed with a sitar
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

If this is about female driving, I'm sorry Helen, but it ain't acting... :| :think:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Being cool is overrated, and being smart is sadly underrated.

LOTS OF MONEYfootballer wifes/girlfriends or the likes of jordan..stupid but very rich.cant be that darft if its the money that makes them happy or thier 15 mins of fame
    True! Young girls these days aspire to be Cheryl Cole or Coleen Rooney! It really is horrible
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Hairy Dane wrote:

That agegroup always existed, but we/they just had better rolemodels than the kids today. I didn't grow up learning that your voice will only be heard if I bleach my hair, ppout my lips and act silly on the telly. Unless I wanted to be laughed at, quite the opposite today, where the Paris Hiltons have more "media-power" than the people you really ought to hear.
    Ah good point... There seemed to be a lot of strong women around when I was of a certain age... and they certainly inspired me. I don't think the whole WAG thing had started yet.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

When you say you want them to be themselves, who says they aren't? That is who they currently are. You just don't think it is how they should be. Who they are annoys you. You want them to grow out of whatever it is that is annoying and start behaving the way you think they should behave. True or no? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just interpreting the statement through my own filter of life.

When my kids ask why people are mean on the playground and why the teacher can't make them stop being that way... I respond with the fact that there are plenty of adults that behave the same way and we can't do anything about them either. Just take care of you. So, it happens to middle schoolers, high schoolers, college kids, 30-somethings, mid-life crisis "I just turned 40" victims, and so on. IMO, really, the only time life is pure is from birth to age... 10 - not always, but the most likely time on earth.
    Sorry, I don't agree. You KNOW when somebody's putting on an act. Sure, there are some genuinely stupid people, plenty in fact... but there are those that you KNOW are doing it for a reaction. Some of them I know are quite clever and it makes me wonder why they feel they have to act that way. Sure I know people will always do a certain amount of acting... but I'm asking... why stupidity? How is it possible that it could be cool to actually be thick? Is it a defense mechanism where you MAKE people laugh at you, rather than have them laugh at you anyway?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    mickeyrat wrote:
    HH, who says it IS cool in the first place? I mean really. I think we can agree that just being ourselves with each other is the way to go, right?
    :D Good point! Ok, it's NOT cool amongst us... but the teenagers... they wanna grow up and be beauticians and stuff :oops: Nothing wrong with beauticians at all but why aren't they aiming for bigger? We all wanted to be presidents and astronauts and stuff :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ... why stupidity? How is it possible that it could be cool to actually be thick? Is it a defense mechanism where you MAKE people laugh at you, rather than have them laugh at you anyway?

In regards to putting on an act vs. that's who they are - I think that is who they are at that moment. They are acting. You want them to be natural and honest and they want to act. IMO, we are saying the same thing.

Acting ditzy causes people to spend more time talking about you, laughing at you, and trying to create new situations where you'll act stupid again for their entertainment. It's a great way to get attention. Have a low self-esteem? Grab yourself some good ole fashion attention. I never did this personally but I dated a guy in high school that was mean and cruel and he THRIVED on people like this. Don't ask me why I dated him as it's off topic ;)

As therapists advise parents with children, they are willing to create situations that provide negative attention if they have to in order to get the attention they need/want. That's why you aren't supposed to respond to the temper tantrum - if they know it gets you they will use it every time.