What do you say to someone who....

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Has so long to live? Everyone iv known that died died fast, drowning, heart attack, car crash. I'm sure one day a family member will get sick and have so long to live. But what do you say? How do you treat them? When it comes to death I'm real strange about it.
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    well, ya figure there thinkng about it enough all on there own, so try to keep it light and help them enjoy what time they have left. Atleast that sounds like a good idea, good luck.
  • Once again, I cannot write two words and stop.

You treat them the same way you treat them if they aren't ill. Too many times people die sudden and the people remaining say "damn sure wish I would have said..." or "wish I would have..". If you respect and love them and show them they are important to you everyday and you have done the best you can do - they will appreciate it. Think about what you would want others to do or say to you if you were the one ill.

I had a stroke in January and I can tell you that people have been soooooo odd AND sooooo wonderful. They generally don't know what to say so they just kind of stare at me. They treat me like I'm going to have a heart attack if they look at me wrong. They try to protect me from painful information because they don't want to give me something else to worry about... If I have a headache they are ready to dial 911. Honestly, I just wish they would treat me the same as they used to. I'll take care of me. The best thing people did for me was to show me they cared. I didn't realize so many people gave a shit about me. Watching the ways they showed they cared during my recovery made me realize I had not been showing them enough friendship or kindness prior to my stroke. I realized I needed to make a greater effort to let them know I cared about them too.

Ed sings I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the inbetween is mine. I am mine. So true. During my "inbetween" I am making greater efforts to make sure people know they are special to me.

Another favorite line - I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay. We're all just visiting. All just breaking like waves.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    sympathize for their grief, understand there's nothing you can do to rationalize/fix the issue, and immediately lend yourself for comfort and listening.

Condensed (not from the heart) version:

"I don't know what to say, I'm so sorry to hear this, there's no way I can even comprehend what must be going through your mind ::shed tear:: you know I'll be here if you ever need someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on :hug::"
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I think it depends on the person. I know some people like to be lighthearted and joke around all the time and you can try to keep their spirits up and not be down all the time. But other people may feel like being light-hearted isn't real, or is ignoring the elephant in the room, or whatever. Personally, I prefer for people to not pretend there's nothing wrong when there IS something wrong. But that's just me, and I've never had a terminal illness.

This was somewhat hard for me when my grandmother died of cancer. She really fought it and tried to keep a positive attitude. It's not that I didn't know what to say to her in general - I just acted normally - but I didn't know whether I should just come out and have the "I want to tell you I love you before you die" talk. I didn't know whether I should just straight-up say, "Look, we both know you're about to die," especially when she was trying to be so positive. Ultimately, I didn't. (I don't know whether that was the right or wrong thing to do.) Of course I told her how much I loved her, but I would have liked to have said so much more.
  • I'd tend to agree with the last 2 posts. Altough I've never found myself in a situation of having to directly face this issue, I'd like to think that I could face it with a certain degree of realism. As unpleasant as it may be, fate has already deatlt its hand, and if my time were to come, I hope that I could accept it for what it is. There is no sense in denying the truth... treat him/her as another human who is facing realilty in an albeit unpleasant state....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Has so long to live? Everyone iv known that died died fast, drowning, heart attack, car crash. I'm sure one day a family member will get sick and have so long to live. But what do you say? How do you treat them? When it comes to death I'm real strange about it.

Just bring it from your heart.
    Follow their lead, listen and relax, let your souls connect.
    So much to share and learn. Don't forget the hugs, touch is so very comforting.
    It is sad but it is life and it is ok to leave this world, something they may already know.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I would add that it would probably be good to give them space to talk about how they're feeling. I think people who are dying often feel like they need to put on a brave face for their loved ones, which doesn't really allow them to express how they really feel.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

close to 2 months ago i had to tell my mom that she had about 1 month to live. she had very progressive cancer that spread to every part of her body. when i told her my mom already knew just because of the look on my face. it was the hardest thing to do for me. I treated her the way i could. ie as normal as possible. don't hide teh fact that the person is dying but just remember that they are still alive. so everyday, i went to the hospital and we talked about what she did that day which was usually just sleep and we both knew the reason and we were not afraid of it. i didn't think my mom would like to have seen me break down every time i saw her so i did my best. Just remember that this is not about you, so treat that person the way you would want to be treated.

don't know if that helped you more or me.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    stay close to them and make every day that is left a celebration of life
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"