Amongst the Waves meaning...

vedder89vedder89 Posts: 177
i get too many different ideas about what this song mean everytime i hear it. the first thing that comes to mind is about surfing but eddie said its not about surfing at all. i have a feeling it might be about his daughters and the joy they bring him which also compares to the joy he get from "riding high amongst the waves"

let me know what ya think.
Stab it down, fill the pages, suck my fuckin' life out, man
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• M RizzoM Rizzo Posts: 23
    I just saw the video on youtube.. as the lyrics pass through the bottom of the screen I can't help but think of What the band & Eddie has gone through. Back in the early 90's when the angst & the fight "vs" the mainstream was so prevalent to the point of being reclusive. Now, the band is singing about "being a saved soul" & singing it better late than loud"
    So as much as the song is about waves & treating the planet properly... Eddie is also saying,"he is in a good place" if not free of the demons,he has a handle on them... most definitely a moving and inspirational song nevertheless.
    '93-Indio, CA / '00-Vegas / '14-Denver
    A computer once beat me at chess, it was no match at kick boxing
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,100
    Check out the Philly 09 recording. he introduces the song as "A love song for surfers" ;)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Saw this song live in Vancouver '09, Eddie introduced it as a love song...about love gone good...He said..."It happens!" ;)
  • Yeah I really must agree on it being a love song that kind of ties it in with surfing.

I like how he says It's rare when there is nothing wrong. Kind of like saying that almost everyone goes through bad relationships and heartbreaks, then he says survived and you're amongst the fittest.

Definitely a good song and I'm not really a surfer but I've used those body boards to ride a wave and I can definitely see how good love makes you feel like you're riding high amongst the waves. Very great song!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,407
    guitar59 wrote:
    Saw this song live in Vancouver '09, Eddie introduced it as a love song...about love gone good...He said..."It happens!" ;)

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Surfing/the ocean is a metaphor for the saving power of love. It can keep you from being swallowed up by negativity. It can save your life.

"If not for love, I would be drowning."

and the the next line: "I've seen it work both ways." Meaning, sometimes love can be a lifeline, and sometimes, when it goes bad, it can be a force pushing you deeper underwater.

But in this instance: "I am up, riding high amongst the waves."

The relationship in this song is one that has gone right.

And, as I result, "I can feel like I put away my early grave."

Saving power of love.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • This song means a lot to me. I've always reserved it as the song that'll define my life once I completely stop drinking.

My love has saved me from a life of alcoholism.

Saving my soul, putting away my early grave, and riding high amongst the waves, is the feeling I get when I'm purely sober and enjoying life with my girlfriend.

EDIT: Btw in Brisbane '09, Eddie dedicated this song to Mike and his new tattoo, and surfing. But I choose to hear what I want to hear! :lol:
    This is, this is ... my ... last exit.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Surfing/the ocean is a metaphor for the saving power of love. It can keep you from being swallowed up by negativity. It can save your life.

"If not for love, I would be drowning."

and the the next line: "I've seen it work both ways." Meaning, sometimes love can be a lifeline, and sometimes, when it goes bad, it can be a force pushing you deeper underwater.

But in this instance: "I am up, riding high amongst the waves."

The relationship in this song is one that has gone right.

And, as I result, "I can feel like I put away my early grave."

Saving power of love.

I completely relate to this explanation of the song. :clap: :thumbup:
    It was a song I recently used to tell my husband that he could trust that I would love him through his hardships. It was literally the only way I could reach him.
    GOD, I LOVE PJ. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,548
    its a love song.....not for surfers this time.. :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    This song means a lot to me. I've always reserved it as the song that'll define my life once I completely stop drinking.

My love has saved me from a life of alcoholism.

Saving my soul, putting away my early grave, and riding high amongst the waves, is the feeling I get when I'm purely sober and enjoying life with my girlfriend.

EDIT: Btw in Brisbane '09, Eddie dedicated this song to Mike and his new tattoo, and surfing. But I choose to hear what I want to hear! :lol:

Congrats on being sober :clap: It's a difficult thing to do. I love that PJ can help someone through that. :D
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!