Guitar Playing???

mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Why are there different chords types to play the same songs.For example hail hail on you tube is played differently by a few guitarists.Silly question???????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    A) Somebody doesn't know how to play it correctly.
    B) More than one way to skin a cat

Do they all sound correct? If they do they're prolly just playin the same chord in a different position.
  • jgrossmanjgrossman Posts: 103
    Yeah, and sometimes Mike and Stone are playing different versions of the same chord to widen the range of the sound. The people on YouTube could be playing either one. Not sure about Hail Hail.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Octaves

Ock-tivzzzz
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Could be open chords vs. barre chords, or 5-string barre chords vs. 6-string barre chords. It could be different chord shapes, or maybe simplified chords (power chords). You could be playing it at a different octave. You could include or omit chord tones that aren't entirely necessary to the performance (add9, sus4, 6th, minor-7th, major-7th, etc).

Hell, even Stone or Mike might switch the way they play a specific chord in a specific song. I've done that with songs I've written (either change the emphasis, to add flash or a fill,or maybe just easier to play). If I tell you to play the chords G, then D, then C, you could play that any one of a dozen ways. Sometimes you gotta just find the one that sounds right to you, because most tabbers are just guessing anyways. At the most, they're consulting videos of the band playing and trying to crib off that. If you watch Stone play a song, and he's high up on the neck, you can sorta guess how he's playing that chord vs. if he was playing lower, or with an obviously open-chord shape.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Melodies can be harmonized more than one way.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yes, but can harmonies be melodized in multiple ways as well?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Yes, but can harmonies be melodized in multiple ways as well?

Of course. :P
    Jerk.
    :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
    Could be open chords vs. barre chords, or 5-string barre chords vs. 6-string barre chords. It could be different chord shapes, or maybe simplified chords (power chords). You could be playing it at a different octave. You could include or omit chord tones that aren't entirely necessary to the performance (add9, sus4, 6th, minor-7th, major-7th, etc).

Hell, even Stone or Mike might switch the way they play a specific chord in a specific song. I've done that with songs I've written (either change the emphasis, to add flash or a fill,or maybe just easier to play). If I tell you to play the chords G, then D, then C, you could play that any one of a dozen ways. Sometimes you gotta just find the one that sounds right to you, because most tabbers are just guessing anyways. At the most, they're consulting videos of the band playing and trying to crib off that. If you watch Stone play a song, and he's high up on the neck, you can sorta guess how he's playing that chord vs. if he was playing lower, or with an obviously open-chord shape.

Thanks for the tips, just learning guitar and was confused to see the way different people play d same song differently, Cheers