Husbands Who Earn Less Than Wives Are More Likely To Cheat

__ Posts: 6,651
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... c=fb&cc=fp

"Men who are financially dependent on their wives and live-in girlfriends are five times more likely to cheat than those who made the same amount of money, according to a study that looked at trends in infidelity. . . .

Munsch says that each relationship is still unique, and infidelity remains a relatively uncommon occurrence. About 7 percent of men and 3 percent of women cheated in the study's six-year period.

Nevertheless, Munsch says that the results may be counterintuitive. "It's not exactly rational," she says. "If you're economically dependent on someone, you probably shouldn't cheat on them."

Well, matters of the heart rarely adhere to hard-boiled logic. When a man makes less than his female partner, the discrepancy can challenge "the traditional notion of men as breadwinners," Munsch writes in her analysis of the results.

So some men may feel the need to prove their manliness on the sly. The trend is particularly strong in subgroups that may hold the idea of traditional masculinity in high regard, like Latino men, she found.

Women, on the other hand, were more faithful when they were financially dependent on their male partners. . . .

Freeloading men aren't the only troublemakers. Munsch's work, which was presented at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting on Monday, also found that men were more likely to cheat when they made a lot more than their partners. . . .

The study also found that the more often people attend religious services, the more education they have and more satisfied they are with their relationships, the less likely they are to cheat. . . ."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i liked this line the best
    more satisfied they are with their relationships, the less likely they are to cheat. . .

well duh :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    In conclusion, statistically men are more likely to cheat than women.
    Sounds really profound. :think: :ugeek: :yawn:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    81 wrote:
    i liked this line the best
    more satisfied they are with their relationships, the less likely they are to cheat. . .

well duh :lol:
    that was always my favorite part of every sociology class i took in college... lots of "duh"s :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if there are any ladies that would like to be my bread winner, i swear i'll never cheat :wave:
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Sounds like a crock of shit to me. What about all the successful men who cheat on their wives. Tiger Woods is just one example of many. If you're bored, out of work and hanging around the house I can understand it, but just because you earn less than your wife doesn't mean this will happen. Wonder how many people they surveyed? (haven't read the whole post by the op).
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I WISH! What kind of strange insecurity is behind this? What a messed up thing to sub-consciously blow up a relationship over....:?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I supported my wife for 4 years, put her through college for another 4 years and now 6 years after all of that she finally makes more than me, slightly, very slighty, but still, SHE'S NEVER BEEN SAFER!!!

All the Love, Money,Time and DEBT, i've put into this relationship, Fuck that, this crazy bitch is gona take care of my old ass some day!!! :twisted:
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    uh oh :| :? :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

international relationships excluded ;):lol:
  • .... Because they can't afford that $10 hooker that lives up the street and who wants to sleep with a poor guy, right?

Oh, that wasn't the point they were making? My bad. ;-)
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    norm wrote:

international relationships excluded ;):lol:
    Phew! 8-)
    Pretty sure he'll gain on me. We're in the same field and by virtue of having a penis he will eventually earn more than me...even if I am wiser and more skilled ;):lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    "The study also found that the more often people attend religious services, the more education they have and more satisfied they are with their relationships, the less likely they are to cheat. . . .""

How to say this without relying on stereotypes.........

I feel like in the case of men making less than women......you would honestly find a slightly heavier ratio of the "freeloader" type of personality (aka lazy douche bag),as the article put it. Obviously not going to be the case 100% of the time, and I''m not saying women can't make good money & have healthy relationships. I have no evidence to back this up whatsoever, but my gut instinct says the trend would be that you see more disfunctional relationships in general w/ this setup.

I just got cheated on recently, but I'm alright with it 'cause we weren't a good match. You know -- I'm a Pisces; she was a whore.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Sounds like a crock of shit to me. What about all the successful men who cheat on their wives. Tiger Woods is just one example of many. If you're bored, out of work and hanging around the house I can understand it, but just because you earn less than your wife doesn't mean this will happen. Wonder how many people they surveyed? (haven't read the whole post by the op).

Sounds like a crock of shit 'cause you don't read.
    I WISH! What kind of strange insecurity is behind this? What a messed up thing to sub-consciously blow up a relationship over....:?

You WISH?!? :shock: :?
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    scb wrote:
    "Men who are financially dependent on their wives and live-in girlfriends are five times more likely to cheat than those who made the same amount of money, according to a study that looked at trends in infidelity. . . .

Anyone else feel like there is a difference between being "financially dependent" on someone and making a bit less?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • I guess that's why my girlfriend wants me to finish college and not go on unemployment for 2 years. :think: :think: :think: :problem:
    NERDS!
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    scb wrote:

I wish I'd stop skim-reading ;) I meant I wish I earned less than my partner (if I had one )...The headline IS misleading.
    Nothing I find too shocking tho. Men have penis envy, women make better prostitutes ;)

edit: watch me try to talk myself out of this one! bad choice of words....:? um...I was thinking of gold diggers, but of course, not everyone who is financially reliant on someone is a gold digger, so...I'll leave my shame for all to see, with this diclaimer. ha.
    scb wrote:

I wish I'd stop skim-reading ;) I meant I wish I earned less than my partner (if I had one )...The headline IS misleading.
    Nothing I find too shocking tho. Men have penis envy, women make better prostitutes ;)

edit: watch me try to talk myself out of this one! bad choice of words....:? um...I was thinking of gold diggers, but of course, not everyone who is financially reliant on someone is a gold digger, so...I'll leave my shame for all to see, with this diclaimer. ha.
    :lol: I wasn't going to say anything, since it's your birthday and all. ;)
  • :shock: :shock: im a stay at home dad so earn nothing...if you saw most of the woman around here you would not want to cheat. :roll:

but it does not bother me at all i dont earn the money..infact i love it .
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    true, exept the guy nickname is anaconda,or the third hand..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    simple fact is men need sex... it doesnt matter if she earns more, has a higher IQ, can read a whole book... it doesnt matter... if a man is in a marriage where sex is about 4 times a year and even then its a quickie under the duvet with the lights off and she needs to get up early in the morning cos she has a business meeting then he'll most likely cheat.

in summation... it's a womans fault if her husband cheats... unless of course he is cheating on her and she is a nymphomaniac... in that case he is just a moron. or gay.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    dunkman wrote:
    simple fact is men need sex... it doesnt matter if she earns more, has a higher IQ, can read a whole book... it doesnt matter... if a man is in a marriage where sex is about 4 times a year and even then its a quickie under the duvet with the lights off and she needs to get up early in the morning cos she has a business meeting then he'll most likely cheat.

in summation... it's a womans fault if her husband cheats... unless of course he is cheating on her and she is a nymphomaniac... in that case he is just a moron. or gay.

ahh Dunk, so funny :lol: but so true :clap:
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dunkman wrote:

and sometimes its a man's fault a woman doesn't want sex cause he is all about himself in bed and out!
    key to no cheating is not wanting to hurt your partner because you are in an intimate loving relationship, both wanting to give to make the other happy.
    This article though hints at the male ego and personal self esteem saying both are fragile and some may go cheat to compensate for not feeling like the bread winner. Perhaps this could happen. But also a career woman may also be prone to be more into that than being a wife.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pandora wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

and sometimes its a man's fault a woman doesn't want sex cause he is all about himself in bed and out!
    key to no cheating is not wanting to hurt your partner because you are in an intimate loving relationship, both wanting to give to make the other happy.
    This article though hints at the male ego and personal self esteem saying both are fragile and some may go cheat to compensate for not feeling like the bread winner. Perhaps this could happen. But also a career woman may also be prone to be more into that than being a wife.

that's your opinion.. and opinions are like orgasms, mine's is more important and ultimately i don't care if you have one. :thumbup: ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

that's your opinion.. and opinions are like orgasms, mine's is more important and ultimately i don't care if you have one. :thumbup: ;)

omg did i laugh
    dunkman wrote:

im on the floor... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dunkman wrote:

im on the floor... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    me too cause he's joking right?!?!?! :lol:
    pandora wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

im on the floor... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    me too cause he's joking right?!?!?! :lol:
    no he is not!!that the point!! :lol::lol::lol: