WOW! Thank you mother!

AiCPearlJamWeenAiCPearlJamWeen Posts: 785
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
My great Uncle, Art, is 97 years young and going through a rough time after falling in his bathroom and not being able to get up until he was rushed to the hospital 3 days later. My mother was the one who found him and she thought he was dead but right when she said "Oh no he's dead" to my sister he raised his arm.

Anyways, before all of this happened, being 97, him and my mother have been planning on what to do with his belongings. She took notice to this guitar he's had since he was a tyke and said "wow, who's guitar is that? My two sons play."

So he told her it was a mid-1920's (not sure exact date or where to even find out) Washburn classical guitar and told her a few stories of his playing days. My mom was in awe and he saw that. Low behold he gave it to her and now the guitar is sitting in my hardshell case. The best part is it's completely playable being nylon strings don't rust. All I did was tune it up a bit and the warmth of it opened up.

It sat in his living room always and it's in surprisingly AWESOME shape. I wish I had a camera on me so I could post pictures.

My mom wants to sell it but I've been slowly talking her into holding onto it (she gets a hefty piece his and my Aunt Florances life insurance). This is a collector piece and my first really valuable instrument that I really want to hold onto.

If I ever get my phone turned back on I'll be sure to post some pictures!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Washburn
    George Washburn started making guitars in 1864 .. the company has changed hands many times since then ..Washburn guitars had a fire sometime in the 1920's that destroyed everything, including all records and paperwork that they had prior to the day of the fire ... then the same thing happened again in the 1950's !!
    From 1988 on ... on some models (but not all) - the first two digits of the serial number is the year the guitar was made.
    On all limited editions ..the year will be in the "Model Name" of the guitar ... (example) ..."D-95 LTD" = 1995 ..."D-92LTD" = 1992 ...etc...

Just found this....interesting