Options

Soundgarden Australia Tour 2011 = Long hiatus??

ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,201
edited August 2010 in The Porch
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/ ... -9hld.html

Soundgarden To Rock Oz in 2011
Dave-O 10 August, 2010 - 9:28 AM

It's time to get your flannelette shirts out because Seattle grunge legends Soundgarden are coming down under!

Yes, the band responsible for hits like "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" and who with Nirvana pretty much defined the grunge sound back in the nineties will be doing shows in Australia in 2011.

Our music reporter Nui Te Koha revealed all this morning. "Soundgarden will be here in 2011. Australian promoters are up at Lollapalooza in Chicago trying to lock down these dates but it will happen early this year."

When pressed for exact timings Nui said it will be, "January, February, March next year."

The grunge legends reunited recently at the Lollapalooza festival and they have a new compilation album coming out in September called Telephantasm, which contains one new song called "Black Rain".

Following the band's split in 1997 Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd have kept themselves busy with various projects.

Chris Cornell teamed up with members of Rage Against The Machine to front Audioslave and pursue a solo career that included some highs and lows (he did an album in French which was a shocker).

The band just played the massive Lollapalooza festival in Chicago on the weekend with Green Day and Lady Gaga.

-So Pearl Jam wil be taking quite a long break if Soundgarden is touring throughout 2011. Or maybe Pearl Jam will continue in the second half of next year and Soundgarden will tour the first half??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    mofockers better come to nz.

cmon matt cameron! CMON!
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    last site to visit, but this has been a rather productive return online after a long hiatus of my own ...

well, i think soundgarden coming down here is a granted - ive been looking forward to it since the first reports of them playing shows started up early this year, and ill be there will a big smile on my face

apparently iron maiden are coming back again next year too
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    UK please! :D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I guess we'll have to wait and see when Soundgarden announces it's tour dates. I really want to see Soundgarden but I hope they don't tour the entire 2011. I need me some Pearl Jam too!

It would be kind of odd if Pearl Jam did not play any shows next year. Haven't they played at least a few shows every year since 1990? No way they take an entire year off especially since it is the 20th anniversary of Ten and that Cameron Crowe documentary is scheduled to be released next year.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Perth Thanks!!!... :)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    The time frame looks to be their summer and our winter. I still think PJ tours North America next Summer/Fall.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I wouldnt really consider 2 years a "long hiatus"... they're entitled to atleast that... and I think a break would be good for the songwriting process (I only do the chicago shows though so I'm used to the wait)

the only wrench in the gears is the whole 20th anniversary thing they made a big deal about... if they don't do something aug 27 of next year I'd be surprised

that leaves a year for SG to tour tho if they decide to do that... fine by me
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Following the band's split in 1997 Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd have kept themselves busy with various projects.

Keeping busy? Kim was given 1 job to do and in over ten years we still haven't had the B side box set :roll:

Chris Cornell teamed up with members of Rage Against The Machine to front Audioslave and pursue a solo career that included some highs and lows (he did an album in French which was a shocker).

I thought it was just one song in French?
  • Options
    kirkerjkirkerj Posts: 69
    They need to go to Wellington in New Zealand for my mates and come to London so I can see them.

Have heard though that Cornell has lost his voice unlike Vedder, apparently not so good on the high notes anymore, but I'd still go see them.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I tried to listen to Soundgarden the other day and realized I've totally grown out of them.

This better not effect any plans Pearl Jam have made.
  • Options
    kirkerjkirkerj Posts: 69
    I am totally with you likeanocean-PJ are top priority!
  • Options
    http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news//blog/soundgarden-to-rock-oz-in-2011/20100810-9hld.html

Soundgarden To Rock Oz in 2011
    Dave-O 10 August, 2010 - 9:28 AM

It's time to get your flannelette shirts out because Seattle grunge legends Soundgarden are coming down under!

Yes, the band responsible for hits like "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" and who with Nirvana pretty much defined the grunge sound back in the nineties will be doing shows in Australia in 2011.

Our music reporter Nui Te Koha revealed all this morning. "Soundgarden will be here in 2011. Australian promoters are up at Lollapalooza in Chicago trying to lock down these dates but it will happen early this year."

When pressed for exact timings Nui said it will be, "January, February, March next year."

The grunge legends reunited recently at the Lollapalooza festival and they have a new compilation album coming out in September called Telephantasm, which contains one new song called "Black Rain".

The band just played the massive Lollapalooza festival in Chicago on the weekend with Green Day and Lady Gaga.

-So Pearl Jam wil be taking quite a long break if Soundgarden is touring throughout 2011. Or maybe Pearl Jam will continue in the second half of next year and Soundgarden will tour the first half??

In regards to the long break.... Noooooooooooooooooo!

Maybe SG and PJ can tour together next year each doing hour and a half long sets with Alice in Chains opening for them. That would be a grunge dream come true.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    PJ may not TOUR for a while, but I doubt we'll hear nothing from the PJ camp over a long period. We'll have an EP or something released. What's everyone freaking out about? Most bands go dark for years at a time, why does everyone expect PJ to be any different?

And plus, silver lining! we may just get an Ed solo tour or some other special gem in the meantime.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Paul David wrote:
    PJ may not TOUR for a while, but I doubt we'll hear nothing from the PJ camp over a long period. We'll have an EP or something released. What's everyone freaking out about? Most bands go dark for years at a time, why does everyone expect PJ to be any different?

And plus, silver lining! we may just get an Ed solo tour or some other special gem in the meantime.
    yah whats with the dave matthews mentality around here?? your summer wont be ruined if you dont see PJ for one year

and i dont think its a coincidence that their best studio work was being done when they werent touring every year
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:

I don't think that people expect them to be different, it's just that they hope that they will be different. The band plays such great shows that it leaves all of us fans wanting more.

As for the Ed solo tour, I really hope that that happens. I missed him in '08. I hope that I get to see him in 2011.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If Pearl Jam is not going to do anything next year, then I demand an Ed solo album!
  • Options
    maybe the Uke album? followed by a bass-only JA album?
    If Pearl Jam is not going to do anything next year, then I demand an Ed solo album!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    What I heard is... Big Day Out, as well as Stone Temple Pilots and Hole... grunge is back in Oz!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I'm kind of glad PJ dont tour every year. It's very hard on the wallet. Plus, they would have burnt themselves out by now if they did. That being said, they'll probably do a few shows next year. They always seem to, without doing great big tours. In the meantime, it's great that bands like Soundgarden can get together for reunions, I'm glad they're counting Australia in, I will be in that for sure!
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    :D:);):o :shock: 8-):lol: :P :oops: :?: :!: :twisted: :idea: :arrow: :|:mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
    Oh. My. G-!!!!!! This is the best news I've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,784
    Paul David wrote:

I guess I would say if you have so many similarities with the grateful dead like different setlists everynight, fans that tour with you, a sense of family etc

Then you HAVE to tour every year for 30 years...:)
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)