pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited June 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by pickupyourwill on

Comments

• pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited June 2018
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I knew it was going to be one of those films that dealt with a very short time frame..but at the end I was still wanting more...Well played especially by Bridges..A bit of a stretch using Collin Farrell when they could have used or given exposure to an actual musician.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Everything Jeff Bridges touches turns to gold.
  • sarah.psarah.p Posts: 200
    Brilliant - lived up to my expectations.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jshin wrote:
    I knew it was going to be one of those films that dealt with a very short time frame..but at the end I was still wanting more...Well played especially by Bridges..A bit of a stretch using Collin Farrell when they could have used or given exposure to an actual musician.

but it was ok to use jeff bridges in lieu of an 'actual' musician???

you know its called acting for a reason and if the actor is capable of singing when the role requires it then why the hell not? besides colin farrell is a fine actor given the right material.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jshin wrote:

you know its called acting for a reason and if the actor is capable of singing when the role requires it then why the hell not? besides colin farrell is a fine actor given the right material.

I wasnt attacking Colin Farrell..Just would have been nice to see a lesser known person in that role...Its ok to use Jeff Bridges in lieu of anything.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    jshin wrote:
    jshin wrote:

I wasnt attacking Colin Farrell..Just would have been nice to see a lesser known person in that role...Its ok to use Jeff Bridges in lieu of anything.

I actually thought using Colin Farrell for that role was almost perfect.
    You have this super popular, young, good looking dude who got out a hit or two, became instantly famous...but lacks the overall talent of a guy like Bad (who ended up writing a song for him).
    Even in the movie, you can tell Farrell's character is fully aware of his pop-"star" status.
    That character is extremely relevant in modern music (country, rock, hip hop, etc)...as is Bridges'. I think Colin played it perfectly, and you couldn't really use a real musician unless they agreed to take the branding of the role.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    moved a lil slow for me... plus I'm not big on country music... or maggie gyllenhaal :?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    jshin wrote:
    jshin wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

so true.

do you know hes reprising the role of rooster cogburn in a coen brothers remake of true grit? the role john wayne won an oscar for. should be interesting.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    do you know hes reprising the role of rooster cogburn in a coen brothers remake of true grit? the role john wayne won an oscar for. should be interesting.
    NO WAY :shock:

the john wayne version is perfect...

NO WAY :shock:

the john wayne version is perfect...

clearly not perfect enough. ;):lol:

matt damon and josh brolin are in it too.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Question... Do I watch the original True Grit or wait for Coen brothers awesomeness?..For some reason I've never seen one John Wayne film.

jshin wrote:
    Question... Do I watch the original True Grit or wait for Coen brothers awesomeness?..For some reason I've never seen one John Wayne film.

well who knows when the coen brothers version will come out. start with the original. check out rio bravo as well.. thats my fave john wayne film.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jshin wrote:
    definitely the original... and all things john wayne... man who shot liberty valance, hondo, sons of katie elder, the alamo, etc.

and its not a western but the quiet man is a damn good movie too

i dont trust the coen bros. with this one at all :?

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    love the big lebowski homage in the first scene at the bowling alley.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    jshin wrote:
    definitely the original... and all things john wayne... man who shot liberty valance, hondo, sons of katie elder, the alamo, etc.

Boy is my wife in for a treat..

jshin wrote:
    jshin wrote:

Boy is my wife in for a treat..

she might be a closet john wayne fan. 8-)

i grew up on john wayne on account of my fathers fandom and the first time i saw him die i couldnt quite believe it. my father never warned me john wayne could die. i felt ripped off somehow. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989

Love Lebowski, but just because the scene takes place in a bowling alley definitely doesn't mean it's a homage to said film.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I thought crazy heart was a proper film... the kind they don't make very often... very real and very heartwarming with brilliant acting... I love a good character story with a good backdrop, script and acting... it's all that's needed.. but so often overlooked these days.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734

Love Lebowski, but just because the scene takes place in a bowling alley definitely doesn't mean it's a homage to said film.

And it's definitely not especially considering the book begins in a bowling alley.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I just got this from Netflix the other day, gonna watch it this weekend, looks like it should be good.