Options

St Maarten

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone been there? My wife and a couple that we're close with are planning a vacation and St Maarten looks like it's gonna be the spot.

How is it there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    We went there as a stop on our honeymoon cruise 8 years ago. Our time on the Island was limited but I was not impressed. They had recently been hit pretty hard by a few tropical storm/hurricanes and were hurting for tourism.

I'm sure it's recovered by now. However, the people were friendly and the beer was reasonably priced.
  • Options
    it's one of my favorite places i've visited -- stay on the Dutch side of the island --eat on the French side -- its a small and safe island so rent a jeep--take the top down and check out the beaches (Orient Beach) -- drink plenty of magaritas and pass out on the beach...thats my advice
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The waters were not that great for snorkeling....the reef seemed dead compared to Grand Cayman...but the island was fun, food was good....volcanic island, so it's a lot up and down driving on very steep inclines...the beach where we stayed wasn't too shabby
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    it's one of my favorite places i've visited -- stay on the Dutch side of the island --eat on the French side -- its a small and safe island so rent a jeep--take the top down and check out the beaches (Orient Beach) -- drink plenty of magaritas and pass out on the beach...thats my advice

yes, plenty of margharitas and rum will be consumed. that is guaranteed.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Did a couple of sail excursions from the French side, where we stayed.....the whole trip was a group deal that my ex-wife had earned by doing something with our chamber of commerce, so most of the activities were planned by others
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I;ve been there once, and my folks own a time share on the island

if you like plans you must go to the beach right where the airport is to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBUYsRTO48
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    trip is booked. going in october (yep, during hurricane season). staying at La Plage (believe it's part of the Royal Islander Club). anyone familiar with this spot?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    trip is booked. going in october (yep, during hurricane season). staying at La Plage (believe it's part of the Royal Islander Club). anyone familiar with this spot?

My parents time share is by the Royal Islander (and so is the airport runway) and I have been there. Here is my dad's website

http://www.royal-islander.org/
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

My parents time share is by the Royal Islander (and so is the airport runway) and I have been there. Here is my dad's website

http://www.royal-islander.org/

thanks, I'll have to check that site out. Yeah, a buddy of mine has a time share, so we got a great deal. I'm really looking forward to the trip, hopefully there won't be any hurricanes that week.

my wife found a bar crawl where we start on a ship and dress like pirates. I think it takes us to 5 different bars on the island. Looking foward to dressing like a pirate and making an ass of myself. I'm good at that
  • Options
    cool, did you see that video

you need to stand on that beach and watch a plane buzz your head, fricking blow your mind
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2