Chick flicks

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just watched sex and the city 2 and thought it still kinda had it... nowhere near as brilliant as the first though, not even comparable. Now I really wanna watch some chick flicks though. Can anyone recommend any? They all seem to be pretty average these days :oops:
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• "500 days of summer"
    I guess it counts right? It's one of the better movies I've seen "recently"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    first blood
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • agree. recently they suck. an older chick flick i liked P.S. I Love you.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Just watched sex and the city 2 and thought it still kinda had it... nowhere near as brilliant as the first though, not even comparable. Now I really wanna watch some chick flicks though. Can anyone recommend any? They all seem to be pretty average these days :oops:

:lol:
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Mrs. Merkinball would recommend The Cutting Edge

Toe Pick!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • runawayrunaway Posts: 427

my ex is in the old one and the new one....he's an asshole but hot...chick flix...I always go back to Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks...they're fun for me...or even when harry met Sally...
    Music is the universal language
    What's better than a cigar? Ed with a sitar
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    jamburger wrote:

:lol:

Damnit, you beat me to it. :lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Just watched sex and the city 2 and thought it still kinda had it... nowhere near as brilliant as the first though, not even comparable. Now I really wanna watch some chick flicks though. Can anyone recommend any? They all seem to be pretty average these days :oops:

I loved Sex and the City 2! The Liza part was great. Everyone in the theatre cheered at the part when they say "How do normal moms do it"--or something like that. Too many great parts to mention.

Can't think of any new chic flix to recommend--haven't really seen any lately. A really good one that does come to mind though, is that Pride and Prejudice modern version with Kat something as the main actress. very funny! probably a little juvenile too, though. made before the one with Keira Knightley. I'll probably edit this later with more exact details.
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    best chick flick...kate and leopold
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    agree. recently they suck. an older chick flick i liked P.S. I Love you.
    I've heard that one's good by a few people now :oops: I didn't really like 500 days of summer... think I was expecting too much from it.

Have to admit got a little misty at SATC2 but I dunno why... what is it about those stories? Maybe cos I've settled down and there's always gonna be aspects of single life I miss :oops: .
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

I loved Sex and the City 2! The Liza part was great. Everyone in the theatre cheered at the part when they say "How do normal moms do it"--or something like that. Too many great parts to mention.

Can't think of any new chic flix to recommend--haven't really seen any lately. A really good one that does come to mind though, is that Pride and Prejudice modern version with Kat something as the main actress. very funny! probably a little juvenile too, though. made before the one with Keira Knightley. I'll probably edit this later with more exact details.
    that was funny... or when she said she thought she couldn't lose the nanny :mrgreen: oh... and... AIDAN!!!! :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    A really good one that does come to mind though, is that Pride and Prejudice modern version with Kat something as the main actress. very funny! probably a little juvenile too, though. made before the one with Keira Knightley. I'll probably edit this later with more exact details.

My favorite version of that is the BBC miniseries with Jennifer Ehrle (not sure if I'm spelling that right) as Elizabeth Bennett and Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Just perfect.

I thought the Keira Knightley version was a little too modern. I don't know the other version, with the actress named Kat, but will have to look for that one.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

you know if my son had been born in the elevator on the way to the birthing unit(which was extremely on the cards) i was gonna call him otis. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Just watched sex and the city 2 and thought it still kinda had it... nowhere near as brilliant as the first though, not even comparable. Now I really wanna watch some chick flicks though. Can anyone recommend any? They all seem to be pretty average these days :oops:

that was funny... or when she said she thought she couldn't lose the nanny :mrgreen: oh... and... AIDAN!!!! :oops:

yes, Aidan was looking mighty fine in that movie! Do you think they'll come out with a third movie?--probably not, huh?
    yes, Aidan was looking mighty fine in that movie! Do you think they'll come out with a third movie?--probably not, huh?

we can always hope not.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • A really good one that does come to mind though, is that Pride and Prejudice modern version with Kat something as the main actress. very funny! probably a little juvenile too, though. made before the one with Keira Knightley. I'll probably edit this later with more exact details.

My favorite version of that is the BBC miniseries with Jennifer Ehrle (not sure if I'm spelling that right) as Elizabeth Bennett and Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Just perfect.

I thought the Keira Knightley version was a little too modern. I don't know the other version, with the actress named Kat, but will have to look for that one.

I've only seen parts of the one with Colin Firth as Darcy, but I do thinks he makes a perfect Darcy. He kind of plays Darcy again in the Bridgette Jone's Diary--its almost like a modern version of Pride and Prejudice in ways.

I do think the actor as Knightley's Darcy was pretty spot on too.
  • yes, Aidan was looking mighty fine in that movie! Do you think they'll come out with a third movie?--probably not, huh?

we can always hope not.

you didn't like it cate? or you haven't seen it yet? go have some drinks and then see it. :D

we can always hope not.

you didn't like it cate? or you haven't seen it yet? go have some drinks and then see it. :D

doubt even i could drink that many drinks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• you didn't like it cate? or you haven't seen it yet? go have some drinks and then see it. :D

:lol: okay, so what do you have against Sex and the City?--c'mon spill it.

:lol: okay, so what do you have against Sex and the City?--c'mon spill it.

im not really a chick flick kinda girl. plus those 4 women annoy me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

okay, I found some links to that Pride and Prejudice film I was talking about...

http://www.showbizdata.com/movie/239413 ... -Prejudice

and if you go to youtube and type in Pride and Prejudice 2003, you can watch the whole film in parts.

It was a cute girlie film. I liked it anyway. and I had the main actress's name wrong--its Kam something, not Kat.

Aww I hope they do... this one didn't feel very 'final' but, if they do, I hope they throw everything into it like the first one.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm trying to recall the worst chick flick I've seen as I've been weak enough to voluntarily sit through too many.

I'm going to nominate Fever Pitch w/ Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. :thumbdown:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Valmont?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like nice scenery in my chick flick so
    Antonio Banderas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGpyRSK ... re=related
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

Woo! I love Kate & Leopold. :)

Other chick flicks that come to mind.. :think:

Uhh.. I can't think of many. :oops: Well, here's some:

When Harry Met Sally
    Becoming Jane
    Notting Hill
    Mamma Mia!
    Valentine's Day (though I'm sure guys can/will like this one too)
    Love Actually

For the record, I thought Sex and the City 2 was pretty average. That doesn't mean I didn't get at all misty eyed.. But that happens so easily. :P What I do find amazing, is the amount of different outfits they managed to stuff into the film.

And yes, it seems that many newer chick flicks/romantic comedies are pretty much the same guff over and over again.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Valmont?

my mom had me watch that."mom this is just like cruel intentions...i've seen this"
    lol
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Looking through ye olde Netflix profile, I liked "About A Boy" pretty well. "The Holiday" was also good but then again I dig Kate Hudson like the Panama Canal. "August Rush" if you like music, I teared up a little at the end. If you like the indie style "Junebug" and "Waitress" might be right up your alley. In that same vein I also enjoyed "Away We Go" but it's almost a road-trip movie not so much romantic comedy.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • My ultimate 'girly' movie is Breakfast At Tiffany's. It's the most gorgeous and quirky love story :D

Also good are:

Love Actually
    Some Like It Hot
    Sliding Doors
    Edward Scissorhands (not a stereotypical chick flick but it is a lovely little love story)
    Down With Love
    Hairspray
    Mamma Mia!
    Gentleman Prefer Blondes
    Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
    The Wedding Planner

:oops:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Looking through ye olde Netflix profile, I liked "About A Boy" pretty well. "The Holiday" was also good but then again I dig Kate Hudson like the Panama Canal. "August Rush" if you like music, I teared up a little at the end. If you like the indie style "Junebug" and "Waitress" might be right up your alley. In that same vein I also enjoyed "Away We Go" but it's almost a road-trip movie not so much romantic comedy.
    Oh I did like the holiday.

Oh what about AMELIE? :oops: Haven't seen that one in a while!

And I think 'wicker park' might count as a chick flick... the ending of that one does it for me every time :oops: I melt!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life