Random Tech Question

DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I need help with a little thing that bothers me with my computer. I don't want to join a new forum, so I'm hoping someone here can help me, I would really appreciate it.

I use Windows Vista, and Windows Vista comes with four standard folders; Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures. I have them all on my desktop, and use them fairly often (mainly music and documents.) It seems that there are two versions of each on my computer. The one on the desktop, and another one.

I recently re-organized my music collection, and put everything in the desktop folder neatly organized (I assumed that there was only one music folder.) All of the changes made to the desktop folder were made to the other one as well, but, now when I download or import new music, the songs are only added to the non desktop folder.

I don't have this issue with the Documents folder or the Videos folder, but the Pictures folders are completely different. One contains my actual pictures, and the other contains stills I've taken while using Windows Movie Maker.

I really hope I've made myself clear, but more importantly, I hope someone here knows how to help me. Thank you very much in advance.

Update: I deleted the unimportant pictures from the non-desktop picture file. After that, I attempted to merge the two folders by copying the non-desktop folder onto the desktop. A pop-up window asked if I wanted to merge the two and I said yes. Now they have the same pictures in them, but when I put a new picture in either one it doesn't get put in both, only one.
10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Why have you made 2 separate folders when you can have just used the ones already there under your user?
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    edited August 2010
    Brisk. wrote:
    Why have you made 2 separate folders when you can have just used the ones already there under your user?

That's the thing, I didn't make two separate folders, I just used the ones that were on the desktop to start with. When I click on the start menu, or if I'm saving something, it shows folders by the same name that are actually different. I know I'm not making sense. I'll make a screen grab to try and show what's going on. I'll be right back.

I just got pictures.

Desktop Folders
    http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66 ... olders.jpg

These are the folders on the desktop, they have always been there.

Non-Desktop Folders:
    http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66 ... sktop2.jpg

These have always been there as well, the Documents folder is connected to the Documents folder on the desktop, but the Picures and Music folders are not. I barely use the Videos folder, so I'm not worrying about it.

Saving to a Non-Desktop Folder:
    http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66 ... Folder.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66 ... esktop.jpg

In the first one I'm saving a picture from a program similar to Photoshop. If I save the file to Pictures, it will appear in the non-desktop folder, but not to the folder on the desktop. In the second photo I am saving a picture off of the internet into the Pictures folder. If I save it there, it will save to the non-desktop folder, but not to the one on the desktop.

Saving to a Desktop Folder:
    http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66 ... olders.jpg

In this picture I am saving the same picture from the internet, but to the Pictures folder within the desktop folder, but it will appear in the desktop folder, but not the non-desktop folder.

I would really appreciate some help on this one, and if there isn't anyone here who can lend a helping hand, I can go to a website dedicated to this sort of thing.

Thank you.
    Post edited by DaveyG on
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    DaveyG wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

That's the thing, I didn't make two separate folders, I just used the ones that were on the desktop to start with. When I click on the start menu, or if I'm saving something, it shows folders by the same name that are actually different. I know I'm not making sense. I'll make a screen grab to try and show what's going on. I'll be right back.

Who built your computer?

I understand you have 2 sets of folders just one on the desktop and one set for your username.
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    Brisk. wrote:
    DaveyG wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Who built your computer?

I understand you have 2 sets of folders just one on the desktop and one set for your username.

It's an HP Pavilion.