Keith Moon--High Hat

DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
The recent videos I've seen show Keith's set with no hi-hat. :shock:
Did he ever use one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I thought I've heard it. I used to cover Who songs 20 years ago. I'll have to give a listen, but I'm pretty positive he used hihats.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    2:26 you see one. Albeit on the right side, though maybe that image is reversed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKVcsznBG_I
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    CJMST3K wrote:
    2:26 you see one. Albeit on the right side, though maybe that image is reversed.

Wow, that was great! I liked when it was just the vocals & Keith on the soundboard on Behind blue Eyes--he's so freakin' awesome.

I saw the hi-hat there but I think it was there for decoration. Who can play a hi-hat out there? I mean, not who, who?

Could he even reach the pedal from there?
    DangDang wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Wow, that was great! I liked when it was just the vocals & Keith on the soundboard on Behind blue Eyes--he's so freakin' awesome.

I saw the hi-hat there but I think it was there for decoration. Who can play a hi-hat out there? I mean, not who, who?

Could he even reach the pedal from there?

While having the hihat on the left for right handed drummers is more traditional, a number of drummers have an extra hihat on the right, but to have only one hihat on the right for a right handed drummer is unusual. Nowadays they have remote foot pedals that can be on the left, even if the pedal is on the right, but I don't think that was available in Moon's era.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvylineIx2k

this shows the hi-hat on his right
    can't see one on his left
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    He was amazing... His drumming was perfectly suited to their sound.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

In my ears, Keith Moon was the 1st & only drummer who ever stood out. Wasn't Mozart criticized at a young age for playing "too many notes". That would have been Moon except it WASN"T too many.

I almost wrecked my car about 40 times listening to Happy Jack as a 20- year- old-something-or-another. Not that I was imitating playing the drums or anything. I just mean trying to keep the car straight on the road with all that wildness in my ears.

Keith was the only drummer standout until I heard Matt Cameron with Pearl Jam.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    DangDang wrote:

In my ears, Keith Moon was the 1st & only drummer who ever stood out. Wasn't Mozart criticized at a young age for playing "too many notes". That would have been Moon except it WASN"T too many.

I almost wrecked my car about 40 times listening to Happy Jack as a 20- year- old-something-or-another. Not that I was imitating playing the drums or anything. I just mean trying to keep the car straight on the road with all that wildness in my ears.

We mustn't forget Mr. John Henry Bonham. He used some tricks from Mr. Moon.(foil lined bass drum etc.)

Also Mr Neil Peart.

Cant think of ayone else except Alex Van Halen.

Oh yeah, how could I forget, My dad Marc R. Thompson. Jazz guy. saw him play many many times as a kid. In fact for a time I was his little roadie. Never did make the time to have him teach me. Want to learn and soon.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

We mustn't forget Mr. John Henry Bonham. He used some tricks from Mr. Moon.(foil lined bass drum etc.)

Also Mr Neil Peart.

Oh yeah, how could I forget, My dad Marc R. Thompson. Jazz guy. saw him play many many times as a kid. In fact for a time I was his little roadie. Never did make the time to have him teach me. Want to learn and soon.

Oh yes, all those drummers are very significant, can't speak for your dad but I'm sure he was.

Do you have access to a drumset?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    DangDang wrote:

Listen to Buddy Rich...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    DangDang wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

Also Mr Neil Peart.

Oh yes, all those drummers are very significant, can't speak for your dad but I'm sure he was.

Do you have access to a drumset?
    at the moment , no. need to get off my ass and at least get a practice pad or two and a set of sticks.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14