Options

Mad Season - Above

2»

Comments

• Options
    StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    I've had this sitting in my CD shelf for a long time now, haven't really listened to it that much, but now I'll have to give it a go in the car....or do I have to sit with headphones in a nice chair ? what do you guys think....

peace
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Options
    genie wrote:
    then do tell me what you think is special. one of the reasons why i've got that album is because it was special

why is it special? because layne is dead? the cd as a whole is just bland. there are some great songs, but most of them are just fillers. the term "special" is very subjective, so don't worry if i don't consider Above anything more than a substandard collaboration.
  • Options
    why is it special? because layne is dead? the cd as a whole is just bland. there are some great songs, but most of them are just fillers. the term "special" is very subjective, so don't worry if i don't consider Above anything more than a substandard collaboration.

As a AIC and Pearl Jam-fan I find it veeeery special to hear Mike team up with Layne. Lanegan is also cool which makes the whole thing even more special. Another thing, not to glorify, is that these guys all had addictions.

"Isn't it so strange how far away we all are now?
    Am I the only one who remembers that summer?
    Oh, I remember, everyday, each time, this place was saved
    The music that we made
    The wind has carried all of that away"

I think that quote from Long gone day pretty much sums up their collaboration. It's really cool.
  • Options
    Jackieboy wrote:
    As a AIC and Pearl Jam-fan I find it veeeery special to hear Mike team up with Layne. Lanegan is also cool which makes the whole thing even more special. Another thing, not to glorify, is that these guys all had addictions.

"Isn't it so strange how far away we all are now?
    Am I the only one who remembers that summer?
    Oh, I remember, everyday, each time, this place was saved
    The music that we made
    The wind has carried all of that away"

I think that quote from Long gone day pretty much sums up their collaboration. It's really cool.

i can see where you're coming from. but to play devils advocate, they had addictions before and after mad season (mike and layne.. not sure about the other two). i can see it being special if they coped with their addictions by making Above but they didnt. the addictions continued and one of them is now dead. don't get me wrong i like Above, but its not that great.
  • Options
    i can see where you're coming from. but to play devils advocate, they had addictions before and after mad season (mike and layne.. not sure about the other two). i can see it being special if they coped with their addictions by making Above but they didnt. the addictions continued and one of them is now dead. don't get me wrong i like Above, but its not that great.

The bassist died from a heroin overdose in 2000 or something like that. Um, well, the way I see it, it was like junkies getting together, taking a breath of fresh air, trying to individualise themselves a bit from their main bands.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,556
    Jackieboy wrote:
    The bassist died from a heroin overdose in 2000 or something like that. Um, well, the way I see it, it was like junkies getting together, taking a breath of fresh air, trying to individualise themselves a bit from their main bands.

So two of the band members died in 2000, both from an overdose?

Or do you mean Layne?

Above is great
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    Niko80 wrote:
    So two of the band members died in 2000, both from an overdose?

Or do you mean Layne?

Above is great

John Baker Saunders played bass and died of an overdose in 1999.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    John Baker Saunders played bass and died of an overdose in 1999.

I didn't know that! :(
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,556
    I didn't know that! :(

News to me too!
    Thx
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222

i think of all the things i hate on here, i hate when people make stupid assumptions the most.

nope it's not special because Layne is dead, neither because bassist is dead too. I like AIC but i'm not obsessed with them, i do not have their album because i wanted to hear Laynes last lyrics he sang. I do not think it's special because majority of them were junkies trying to escape. no

I like this album because of it's music first, secondly their sound was original, and thirdly i liked it because at the time of making few songs for this album they made these songs only to soothe their mind, these few songs they've written for themselves, they were not intending to sell them in the beginning.

that's why i think this album is absolutely amazing. how many bands out there do you know who can make slow and quiet music without it sounding shit and bland and boring?

and yes, as someone said it's a great stoner album. this album i will hold dear to my heart
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    sort of agree too. Wake Up, X-Ray Mind, River of Deciet, Lifeless Dead (live version is better), Long Gone Day, and November Hotel are all awesome.

I Don't Know Anything, I'm Above, and Artificial Red i am not too fond of.

All Alone is somewhere in the middle.

but that's just me.

Wow. I'm Above IMO is the best song on that album.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    and Artificial Red i am not too fond of.

but that's just me.

what??!!! ok i'll agree to disagree :)
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    sort of agree too. Wake Up, X-Ray Mind, River of Deciet, Lifeless Dead (live version is better), Long Gone Day, and November Hotel are all awesome.

I Don't Know Anything, I'm Above, and Artificial Red i am not too fond of.

All Alone is somewhere in the middle.

but that's just me.

Wow. I'm Above and Artifical Red are two of my favorite songs on the album. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    i think of all the things i hate on here, i hate when people make stupid assumptions the most.

nope it's not special because Layne is dead, neither because bassist is dead too. I like AIC but i'm not obsessed with them, i do not have their album because i wanted to hear Laynes last lyrics he sang. I do not think it's special because majority of them were junkies trying to escape. no

I like this album because of it's music first, secondly their sound was original, and thirdly i liked it because at the time of making few songs for this album they made these songs only to soothe their mind, these few songs they've written for themselves, they were not intending to sell them in the beginning.

that's why i think this album is absolutely amazing. how many bands out there do you know who can make slow and quiet music without it sounding shit and bland and boring?

and yes, as someone said it's a great stoner album. this album i will hold dear to my heart

well i wasnt making an assumption when i mentioned that layne was dead. if you look closely, you can see a little question mark. that implies that the sentence was a question.

and plenty of bands can make slow and quiet music without it sounding bland and boring. radiohead, explosions in the sky and ben harper are just a few. and they do it better than mad season.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    okay, "I'm Above" is a good song but i just never listen to it....so i put it on the lower tier. "Artificial Red"... no.
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    I think its special because it brought members of four different bands (3 of them being quite popular) together to create something different than what they were playing at the time.

Its also special because it turned out to be the only album made by this collection of musicians.

I know Layne and Mike get the most credit for this collaboration, but Martin on the drums was just awesome............
  • Options
    radiohead, explosions in the sky and ben harper are just a few. and they do it better than mad season.
    I'm not sure I would compare ben harper to mad season, but okay I guess...........
  • Options
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    I'm not sure I would compare ben harper to mad season, but okay I guess...........

comparing talent, or the style of music? if you meant style of music, i was just mentioning someone who can write a slower song that doesn't get boring. i really hope that you weren't calling out ben harper as less of a musician than layne staley. i'd have to injure you
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    finally downloaded it

i like free stuff also. it's the only way to do it.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    comparing talent, or the style of music? if you meant style of music, i was just mentioning someone who can write a slower song that doesn't get boring. i really hope that you weren't calling out ben harper as less of a musician than layne staley. i'd have to injure you
    style of music.......

no need to injure. Ben is phenominal.