Speakers for my 50w Marshall

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thinkin of gettin a couple speakers for my Marshall combo. Would 2 greenbacks(50 watts total) work or should I up the wattage a bit?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    A pair of Greenbacks would tend to break up early, especially when pushed. That means you'll get less headroom, but the legend of Greenbacks is their speaker breakup when pushed, so if that's the tone you're chasing, those are the speakers that get you there.

If you want to hedge your bets, or get additional headroom, you might put in one Greenback and one with higher wattage rating; I know a lot of guys will use a Vintage 30 in the same cab for just that reason. And they do sound really good together. There are other speaker combos that work great, as well; just watch the big forums for ideas.

Is this a 2x12 combo amp, open-back, or some other configuration?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    A pair of Greenbacks would tend to break up early, especially when pushed. That means you'll get less headroom, but the legend of Greenbacks is their speaker breakup when pushed, so if that's the tone you're chasing, those are the speakers that get you there.

If you want to hedge your bets, or get additional headroom, you might put in one Greenback and one with higher wattage rating; I know a lot of guys will use a Vintage 30 in the same cab for just that reason. And they do sound really good together. There are other speaker combos that work great, as well; just watch the big forums for ideas.

Is this a 2x12 combo amp, open-back, or some other configuration?

2x12 JVM combo. Not sure if its closed or semi closed...top section of the closed back-ness is a vented metal grate.

Yeah, I considered the Vintage 30 or even the g12h30 70th anniversary. They(anniversarys) sound great in my buddy's Marshal.

I'm checkin out the Warehouse Green Berets. Heard good things, but those Warehouse are inexpensive and that often means cheap. Anybody had any experience with these or similar smaller companies?
  • +1 for the vintage 30s. they sound great with every head i have, '74 jmp, '94 matchless, '94 jcm 900, '83 jcm 800...to my ears they are the best speakers i have ever played. as mainly a rhythm player with a very heavy pick hand i love the headroom. slight increases or decreases in attack make the speakers sound very different. i just love their versatility.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Little update....I decided to go ahead and try the Warehouse speakers. Price just cannot be beat and figured if the experiment goes wrong I'm saving enough to buy at least 1 new Celestion.

Ordered a pair monday morning(Green Beret and Reaper 55Hz (g12h30)), got them yesterday afternoon. Even got a refund on shipping when they realized I was just a day away with the cheapest option.

Comparing them visually to the actual Celestions that were in my combo, they look to be of very similar build quality.

I know it's silly to review the sound quality of a brand new speaker, and I'll give an update later, but I can already tell I really dig the overall vibe of the speakers. If they break in nicely it'll be an absolute killer deal.