Anyone ever make a cookbook?

thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My sister is in the middle of writing a cookie cookbook. I've been lucky enough to be appointed as a taste tester, and her stuff is great. She's still got a little ways to go before she's finished, but has anyone written a cookbook or have contacts in the baking/desert/cookie field? I'm trying to help her out in getting started as she's just 18.

Thanks
-one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Is she making the recipes up herself? or compiling the best ones that she has found?

Either way, good on her! :)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
    all original recipes, i don't know how she does it.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    all original recipes, i don't know how she does it.

:lol:

She must have a natural talent! Or she took some very good classes ;)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • I'm a chef by trade. What is she looking for?
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I've done some recipe testing over the years for some cookbook writers- and its a very hard business. Not impossible to break into, but very hard. And you barely make any money the first round- it takes a consistent stream of books before you really see the money. And if you do get an advance, most of the money you will need to use for your photos (the last writer I worked with spent 10,000- for 12 photo's- yikes!!), and recipe testing- and independent testing, etc- it all adds up. And then after selling x number of books, then she made some money. And this was a seasoned cookbook writer.

Not trying to be a downer- its just the reality of the business.

but if she has great recipes- especially if they are unique- and they actually work (I'm a pastry chef- and I've gone through so many recipe's- even by famous chef, that look good, but sucks). Tell her to do a lot of testing- from various kitchens and ovens- and done by other people. If there is a culinary school near her, she can get some interns to help out- saving a few bucks. And take a lot of notes!!!.

Sorry to say- I lost my contacts with the last cookbook writer I worked with- its been a while, but she just needs to shop it around- start with the small independent book publishers- ones who cater to cookbooks and go from there.

Good luck to her and I wish her well.
    vduboise wrote:
    I've done some recipe testing over the years for some cookbook writers- and its a very hard business. Not impossible to break into, but very hard. And you barely make any money the first round- it takes a consistent stream of books before you really see the money. And if you do get an advance, most of the money you will need to use for your photos (the last writer I worked with spent 10,000- for 12 photo's- yikes!!), and recipe testing- and independent testing, etc- it all adds up. And then after selling x number of books, then she made some money. And this was a seasoned cookbook writer.

Not trying to be a downer- its just the reality of the business.

but if she has great recipes- especially if they are unique- and they actually work (I'm a pastry chef- and I've gone through so many recipe's- even by famous chef, that look good, but sucks). Tell her to do a lot of testing- from various kitchens and ovens- and done by other people. If there is a culinary school near her, she can get some interns to help out- saving a few bucks. And take a lot of notes!!!.

Sorry to say- I lost my contacts with the last cookbook writer I worked with- its been a while, but she just needs to shop it around- start with the small independent book publishers- ones who cater to cookbooks and go from there.

Good luck to her and I wish her well.

Thanks, who would have thought photos would cost that much? The subject doesn't even move/blink/pose...

She's not looking for anything right now, I was just trying to see what "the great collective" knew about the subject to see if I could help her out or open any doors for her. Her plan is to try and shop a finished product, but I'm going to try to nudge her into self-publishing this. From what I've checked into, it seems like self-publishing will be a lot easier and potentially more lucrative for her too.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    my two cents:

i think the medium is outdated unless you are a celebrity chef on the food network or something ... with the relative availability of the internet, the ROI on investing in a book is gonna be very tiny ... she would need to have like Oprah stumble upon it and mention it on her show for anything to happen ... also, not trying to be a downer and am fully supportive of your sister and you helping ... just offering an opinion ...

i would suggest that she simply just sell her cookies ... find local cafes and distribute that way ... if she can build a brand and following ... then it might fly better ...

good luck
    polaris_x wrote:
    my two cents:

i think the medium is outdated unless you are a celebrity chef on the food network or something ... with the relative availability of the internet, the ROI on investing in a book is gonna be very tiny ... she would need to have like Oprah stumble upon it and mention it on her show for anything to happen ... also, not trying to be a downer and am fully supportive of your sister and you helping ... just offering an opinion ...

True- the medium is outdated- but I still buy cookbooks- I buy 10 or more a year. I have a lot of recipe's on my computer, but I always go to the book first.
    polaris_x wrote:
    i would suggest that she simply just sell her cookies ... find local cafes and distribute that way ... if she can build a brand and following ... then it might fly better ...
    [/quote]

If she does this, and does it legit, then she would/should set herself up with a kitchen space (or rent something)- I think by law (well in nyc- as far as I know)- there are somethings that you can make from your home kitchen and some that you can't- especially if you sell to the public.
    Its a good option, but may take some money into doing...
    It doesn't hurt to try making the book- I like books with pictures- a lot of pictures- it gives you a snapshot of what the author was thinking about how their vision should look like. She doesn't have to spend 10,000 on that (it included the photographer, a chef to make the food and style it and an assistant). It looked great tho...
    polaris_x wrote:
    my two cents:

good luck

I think that you're partially right. There would definitely need to be a good reason for someone to buy a cookbook from someone they aren't aware of. The internet has made it very easy to find recipes so there would have to be something more if this is to work for her.

I'm not sure selling cookies would be any better, but I did see a commercial for some new show about people who make Cupcakes and have a 60-minute wait outside the shop, so what do I know...

Thanks for the opinion though, my sister's not on the message board so there's no need to hold back on opinions. I'm trying to learn all that I can to see how best she can approach this project and be successful with it. If it means ditching the cookbook idea and going a different route for her to have a better chance at being successful, then so be it.

I've got to run my own career for a while, but I'll be back later. Thanks again everyone.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    If she has any really simple recipes for cheesecakes/other puddings for a student level cooker then lemme know 8-)
    vduboise wrote:
    It doesn't hurt to try making the book- I like books with pictures- a lot of pictures- it gives you a snapshot of what the author was thinking about how their vision should look like. She doesn't have to spend 10,000 on that (it included the photographer, a chef to make the food and style it and an assistant). It looked great tho...

the author of the cookbook spent money to have someone else cook the food!?? ... hahaha ... seems kinda fraudelent in a way ...

as far as this cookbook goes - i support your sister's ambition whole-heartedly ... would just like to minimize the investment and risk is all ... self-publishing might be an idea ... maybe she can create an etsy site ... offer up one recipe for free and if people like it ... they can buy another 10 for $5 or something ... all done online ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

the author of the cookbook spent money to have someone else cook the food!?? ... hahaha ... seems kinda fraudelent in a way ...

as far as this cookbook goes - i support your sister's ambition whole-heartedly ... would just like to minimize the investment and risk is all ... self-publishing might be an idea ... maybe she can create an etsy site ... offer up one recipe for free and if people like it ... they can buy another 10 for $5 or something ... all done online ...

Haha- It wasn't fraudulent, she wanted the food to look amazing. She can cook- but she needed it to be stylized. And she just didn't have that ...flair, to make it so that the person looking at countless cookbooks, would pick hers cuz the food looked damn good. ya know?
    vduboise wrote:
    Haha- It wasn't fraudulent, she wanted the food to look amazing. She can cook- but she needed it to be stylized. And she just didn't have that ...flair, to make it so that the person looking at countless cookbooks, would pick hers cuz the food looked damn good. ya know?

but isn't that the stylist's job? ... ie the photographer!? ... they are in charge of spraypainting it so the food has a glisten and stuff ... i suppose it must have been worth it to her so really who am i to judge! ... hahaha
    polaris_x wrote:

but isn't that the stylist's job? ... ie the photographer!? ... they are in charge of spraypainting it so the food has a glisten and stuff ... i suppose it must have been worth it to her so really who am i to judge! ... hahaha

There was the photographer- making sure the lighting is good, the food is positioned of optimal effect, and then there was the food stylist- the stylist makes the food look good- and uses tricks to keep the food looking good. The photographer may not know what to use- unless they do both. And you want to minimize the photoshopping, etc - because it takes a lot of money for retouching. It was the first time she was using color photos and wanted it to look good.

Personally, I would have done it myself- but its all about the packaging
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    I think that the best idea is to try selling her cookies to local cofee shops, restaurants, ect. and try the self-published book idea and sell the book in the establishments that sell her cookies. I think she would be limiting herself if she just wants to do a book. By selling the cookies, people who really like them and know how to bake will buy the book and for the majority of people who don't bake they will continue to buy the pre-made cookies.
    good luck :D
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    If she gets published post it here. PM me. I'm a cookbook lover! A cookie cookbook is even better. I have a ton of those but I always can use more! I'll support her.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ