Bruce Lee

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
As I'm trying to think of what to write about Bruce Lee, words can't explain what amazes me about him. He was unbelievable, greatest martial artist, great film maker and actor, great philosopher, and his body was insane. What this man did will most likely not be matched ever again. He was a great innovator, especially at the time when he was alive. I think he went through tougher times than Jimi Hendrix did because he Chinese.

The first film I saw of his was "Return of the Dragon" when I was maybe around the ages of 6-8. My uncle, who is a martial artist, showed it to my cousin and I when we were young and I loved that movie. At that age, I couldn't believe what I saw because I was taking karate lessons at that time and I would try so hard to emulate his moves and techniques (I obviously didn't even come close). Then my uncle showed us "Enter the Dragon" and I loved that film also. The room with the mirrors scene is still, to this day, one of my all-time favorite scenes in movie history.

What do you think of Bruce Lee?
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I liked that he kicked Chuck Norris's ass in a couple of movies. :twisted:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    his body WAS insane! but he had a philosophy of using everything in your life as a training method. if he wanted to go to the store he wouldn't get in his car and drive a few blocks, he'd use it as an opportunity to train and run to the store, he was pretty much constantly training.

also the cutting down on wasted movement/energy in attacks was genius. i think he really revolutionized martial arts.

have you read any of his books?
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    have you read any of his books?

I haven't but I am thinking about buying one. I have a few books I have sitting on my night stand, collecting dust, waiting to be read. Once I finish those, I'll look for Bruce Lee ones.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    No help really. Just a awesome quote from him:

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."
    — Bruce Lee
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Newch91 wrote:
    As I'm trying to think of what to write about Bruce Lee, words can't explain what amazes me about him. He was unbelievable, greatest martial artist, great film maker and actor, great philosopher, and his body was insane. What this man did will most likely not be matched ever again. He was a great innovator, especially at the time when he was alive. I think he went through tougher times than Jimi Hendrix did because he Chinese.

The first film I saw of his was "Return of the Dragon" when I was maybe around the ages of 6-8. My uncle, who is a martial artist, showed it to my cousin and I when we were young and I loved that movie. At that age, I couldn't believe what I saw because I was taking karate lessons at that time and I would try so hard to emulate his moves and techniques (I obviously didn't even come close). Then my uncle showed us "Enter the Dragon" and I loved that film also. The room with the mirrors scene is still, to this day, one of my all-time favorite scenes in movie history.

Good book to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Jeet-Kune-Bruce-Lee/dp/0897500482
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    There is a guy that works for my company called Bruce Lee.
    He is English.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    There is a guy that works for my company called Bruce Lee.
    He is English.

How many bar fights has that started?

"You're Bruce Lee?? Let's see how tough you are!"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    there is an asian film called "ip man" ... it's the story of the guy who invented wing chun, the martial art that was the foundation of bruce lee's skills and bruce lee's teacher ... it's worth checking out ... although it won't necessarily give you anymore insight into bruce lee himself ...
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    He was the man! You should check out some of the numerous
    videos of him demonstrating his "one inch punch" freakin crazy!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Well helllooo there! 8-) How cool does he look?! I love his body in this photo. Very sexy.

Bruce-Lee-Photo-2.jpg
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    thats a girls belt he's wearing in that photo... and yeah i'd tell him that to his face!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    polaris_x wrote:
    there is an asian film called "ip man" ... it's the story of the guy who invented wing chun, the martial art that was the foundation of bruce lee's skills and bruce lee's teacher ... it's worth checking out ... although it won't necessarily give you anymore insight into bruce lee himself ...

I have not watched it, but that is a really big film in my town.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Bruce Leroy!!!

glow.bmp
    Newch91 wrote:

Good book to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Jeet-Kune-Bruce-Lee/dp/0897500482

That's the one I was thinking of reading when I finish the other books.
    Theovl316 wrote:

I've seen those. Fuckin' crazy! My uncle saw Bruce Lee at MSG in 1969, I believe, in a karate tournament. He said it was the best thing he's ever seen. He saw him do his two finger one arm push up, and the one inch punch. He said he sent the guy flying with the one inch punch.

Can we also agree he was insane with a pair of nunchucks?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Newch91 wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:

I've seen those. Fuckin' crazy! My uncle saw Bruce Lee at MSG in 1969, I believe, in a karate tournament. He said it was the best thing he's ever seen. He saw him do his two finger one arm push up, and the one inch punch. He said he sent the guy flying with the one inch punch.

Damn, that must have been cool to see live!!!
    From "Way of the Dragon" or as I know it, "Return of the Dragon":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRyDcB7qQFo
    KoMyAss wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:

Damn, that must have been cool to see live!!!

Hell fucking yeah!! I told him that and he shook his head up and down. I would've loved to see that. Luckily we have videos of his demonstrations.
    Anyone see the program on History channel called "How Bruce Lee Changed the World"? It's great. It's on DVD on Amazon in case anyone wants to check it out.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Newch91 wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:

i still haven't perfected the one inch punch or even close, it's all such a quick, fluid movement. from what i understand the basic principles are

-act as if you're trying to hit something about 3 inches behind what you are hitting, it works as a quick, powerful strike rather than a regular punch with a follow through.
    -hand is open or partially open

then in one fluid movement
    -close fist as you strike, flicking your wrist somewhat upwards
    -rotate your elbow (which is where i have the most trouble keeping it all fluid)
    -put your weight on your front foot
    -rotate your hips, shoulder and body into the target

the power from your body's movement, when done right, is supposed to be more powerful than just a swing because it's all focused in 1 short, straight action.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    Newch91 wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:

i still haven't perfected the one inch punch or even close, it's all such a quick, fluid movement. from what i understand the basic principles are

-act as if you're trying to hit something about 3 inches behind what you are hitting, it works as a quick, powerful strike rather than a regular punch with a follow through.
    -hand is open or partially open

then in one fluid movement
    -close fist as you strike, flicking your wrist somewhat upwards
    -rotate your elbow (which is where i have the most trouble keeping it all fluid)
    -put your weight on your front foot
    -rotate your hips, shoulder and body into the target

the power from your body's movement, when done right, is supposed to be more powerful than just a swing because it's all focused in 1 short, straight action.

Wow! I have to try that!
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    OH MAN

the guy with all the hands... when theyre fighting in the mirror room... or when hes fighting kareem... SHIIIIIT

bruce lee is cool 8-)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/