Vacation ideas

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So I'm taking a few days off work next week and my wife and I are going to take a mini-trip before she goes back to work (school teacher). We live in North Florida and want to go somewhere drivable (8 hours tops) and hopefully inexpensive. Anyone have any recommendations of cool little spots to get away for a few days? Our interests are music, outdoors, eating & drinking - I've contemplating camping but it may just be too damn hot. Any recommendations are appreciated!
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Memphis if you've never been. Always great music. Beale Street is heaven on earth to me.
    Rendezvous Ribs, Sun Studio, check out the ducks at the Peabody is the wife cares too, tour the Gibson Factory/Museum, Graceland, Memphis Redbirds (Triple A of St. Louis) and Beale Street!!!!
    The Hi Tone Cafe, which is off Beale, has some great music too
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I know it may be nothing special to you being relatively close...but my first experience in Florida was St. Augustine. Hired a guy with a boat to take the girlfriend and I on a sailing trip and we stayed ina beach house all week.

It was one of the best trips I've ever had.

and we caught Pearl Jam in Tampa... 8-)

This is probably isn't much help, sorry :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Asheville NC is pretty cool. Lots of micro beers, horseback riding, river rafting, hiking. cool little hippy city that is cheap enough and close enough to a lot of things to do outdoors. we stayed at crown plaza resort for $60 per night. i think band of horses are headquarter in this area. pretty good night life.

we also did Charleston, SC. Cool old city with a lot of good eats, drinks and touristy stuff to do. we stayed at the marriott just south of downtown for $60 per night.

i use priceline name your own price and http://betterbidding.com/ to try and find cheap stays
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    How about the Georgia sea islands? Not far from you, but really beautiful. Cumberland, especially. Lots of great walking, beautiful views.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes, the Georgia Coast Islands, Tybee Island short drive from Savannah is very inexpensive and fun. Lots of cool outdoor bars and Savannah you and the wife would love. Its a beautiful old southern city, lots of beautiful homes and River street is the entertainment area. You could drive up the coast, do Cumberland, next stop Jekyll Island, Rockafellers and friends playground in the 20's, lots of history and have on lunch on St Simons Island.
    check it out http://www.n-georgia.com/costIslands.htm
    Whatever you decide, enjoy! and safe travels
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Memphis if you've never been. Always great music. Beale Street is heaven on earth to me.
    Rendezvous Ribs, Sun Studio, check out the ducks at the Peabody is the wife cares too, tour the Gibson Factory/Museum, Graceland, Memphis Redbirds (Triple A of St. Louis) and Beale Street!!!!
    The Hi Tone Cafe, which is off Beale, has some great music too

Yuck. That's like one block. Don't go to Memphis. Not worth it. Atlanta would be better
    I'll be back
    81 wrote:
    Asheville NC is pretty cool. Lots of micro beers, horseback riding, river rafting, hiking. cool little hippy city that is cheap enough and close enough to a lot of things to do outdoors. we stayed at crown plaza resort for $60 per night. i think band of horses are headquarter in this area. pretty good night life.

we also did Charleston, SC. Cool old city with a lot of good eats, drinks and touristy stuff to do. we stayed at the marriott just south of downtown for $60 per night.

i use priceline name your own price and http://betterbidding.com/ to try and find cheap stays

I love Asheville, wife and I went to Asheville and gatlinburg to get married/honeymoon.
    I'll be back
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    SEA ISLE CITY, NJ.

BANG.

DONE.
    www.myspace.com
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    SEA ISLE CITY, NJ.

BANG.

DONE.

:clap::clap:
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Ever been to Nashville? Great city for music, incredible bar district, tons of history, and lots of good eats!
    "It's all happening"
    81 wrote:

I love Asheville, wife and I went to Asheville and gatlinburg to get married/honeymoon.

you didn't happen to take US 25 between ashville and TN did ya? when we were down there, I40 was closed due to rock slides, so we detoured on US25. I wanted to stop at the mobile homes turned into bars bars. lol classic red neck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

you didn't happen to take US 25 between ashville and TN did ya? when we were down there, I40 was closed due to rock slides, so we detoured on US25. I wanted to stop at the mobile homes turned into bars bars. lol classic red neck

No we didn't take 25. I live in Memphis so we took 40 all the way.
    I'll be back
    Ever been to Nashville? Great city for music, incredible bar district, tons of history, and lots of good eats!

I was in Nashville a few days ago. I love Nashville.
    I'll be back

No we didn't take 25. I live in Memphis so we took 40 all the way.

you must have beat the rock slide. when we went thru this past christmas and then again over easter, I40 was closed right at the border of TN and NC. We jumped off at Newport, TN and detoured over the mountains on a two lane highway. took a little longer, but it's a fun drive if you like mountain driving.

my brother and i took some back roads to get ot our rafting place. he didn't care for the mountain driving, or at least his lunch didn't like it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I know it may be nothing special to you being relatively close...but my first experience in Florida was St. Augustine. Hired a guy with a boat to take the girlfriend and I on a sailing trip and we stayed ina beach house all week.

It was one of the best trips I've ever had.

and we caught Pearl Jam in Tampa... 8-)

This is probably isn't much help, sorry :(

i went there also... it was an amazingly beautiful place... nice to see some real history when we were in Florida. St Augustine was just so special... i'll always remember it!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Asheville, NC is a great suggestion. This time of year is great for Asheville as you can escape the blazing heat up there. My wife and I really that city. Good shopping (if you enjoy that) and a lot of nice scenic places around that area. Also, go to the Biltmore Estate if you've never been.

We also like Savannah, GA. We went on a day trip about 2 months ago and had a great time. We want to go back and see all more of the historical landmarks. Pretty neat city.
    Asheville, NC is a great suggestion. This time of year is great for Asheville as you can escape the blazing heat up there. My wife and I really that city. Good shopping (if you enjoy that) and a lot of nice scenic places around that area. Also, go to the Biltmore Estate if you've never been.

We also like Savannah, GA. We went on a day trip about 2 months ago and had a great time. We want to go back and see all more of the historical landmarks. Pretty neat city.

Biltmore...that place is a rip off. $55 or $60 to get in. no thanks.

We are thinking of doing Savannah for Christmas this year. The SE coast is nice that time of year. Not hot, not cold, and with the holidays, not packed with tourists. When we drove down last year, we left a few hours after an ice storm and returned to 8-10 inches of snow on the groud. had to pull out hte snow blower at 11pm so that we could get up the driveway. :lol: good times
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    That much for Biltmore? I guess we found some kind of deal because our tickets were around $30 including the wine tasting at their vineyard...

We're thinking of going back to Savannah the first week of December, mainly because of the cooler temps like you said.
    That much for Biltmore? I guess we found some kind of deal because our tickets were around $30 including the wine tasting at their vineyard...

We're thinking of going back to Savannah the first week of December, mainly because of the cooler temps like you said.

must of scored a deal. go check out their website. reg price is 60, but if you buy online, its only 55 :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I think that Savannah and/or the GA coast (Cumberland, Jekyll, Sea Island) are topping our list right now. However I will continue to welcome more suggestions! And to those who commented about St. Aug...I agree, definitely a cool and beautiful place but I'm only about 20 minutes away so "been there done that" so to speak.
    where ever you end up, don't forget to send a post card

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=129116&hilit=post+card
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I think that Savannah and/or the GA coast (Cumberland, Jekyll, Sea Island) are topping our list right now. However I will continue to welcome more suggestions! And to those who commented about St. Aug...I agree, definitely a cool and beautiful place but I'm only about 20 minutes away so "been there done that" so to speak.

And have had a real Mojito at that Cuban restaurant on the boulevard? Yum...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    81 wrote:

must of scored a deal. go check out their website. reg price is 60, but if you buy online, its only 55 :roll:

If you just want to do the wine tasting, go into the gift shop right before the gates at the Biltmore. Its absolutely free and you get to taste the same wine. We figured this little secret out when we were down in Ashville a few years ago. It's pretty cool, you get to taste as much as you want for free and you can browse the shop while you're at it!
    As for other cities, I definitely recommend Savannah GA. We went down there for Thanksgiving last year and fell in love. We're going back this year again. The open container law in the historic district is awesome. There's something right about being able to get your alcohol "to go"! :D
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

And have had a real Mojito at that Cuban restaurant on the boulevard? Yum...

In St. Augustine? Man, I missed that!

But I wasn't 21 at the time anyway damnit.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Well my 4 days off came and went with a swiftness! Here's how we spent our time: Went to the beach Sunday and then dinner with friends. Monday we drove down to High Springs, FL and kayaked about 8 miles down the Sante Fe River. It was the most peaceful experience I've had in a while and strongly recommend it to anyone living near or traveling around central FL. The river intersects with several fresh water springs where we got out to cool off and swim around for a while. Also saw a couple HUGE gators but failed to get any pics as my wife was in constant panic. Tuesday we rode up to Jekyll Island - NOT the time of year to do this. It was bloody fuckin hot and even the ocean didnt offer any relief as the water was like 95 degrees! Did see a lot of dolphin swimming just off shore though. We stopped by Fernandina Beach on the way home and had some beers on the sand and cooled off in the water. We once again went to the beach on Wednesday to just relax. Found about 125 sharks teeth! Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!