Back from the High Country 4 @ 13000+ (PICS ADDED)

Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My son and I had the most amazing trip last week. We were able to summit 4 peaks in the Uinta range of Utah in 4 days total. He was ready for more but I was the weak link in this adventure, and had to pull out of making 5 in 4. 37+ miles and 12000+ ft of ascent over the 4 days.

First climb was to Dome Peak on Wednesday 21st. Endured a storm and was truly scared like I have never been before. I have never heard a mountain arcing until that afternoon,nor ever had such an adrenaline rush simply from surviving! Absolutely the most terrified I have ever been. (RIP to the climber that died on Grand Teton the very same day, caught in an early thunderstorm... eerie to come off the mountain and rread the paper... way too close to what we may have encountered) Base camp of 11500 ft is where we spent the night riding out the wicked display of Mother Nature's lightning, thunder and torential rains.

Kings Peak was No 2. What a view! Except for the crowded summit of Boy Scouts... Altitude sickness was tryingto hold me back but I made it to the top to be there with Michael on his second ascent of Kings in 2 weeks. We had to bow out of reaching South Kings due to the clouds forming and a lingering doubt if I had another climb in me. Hindsight -- the storms never developed, just clouded up. I'm ok with the choice on that one though.

Up the next morning for #3 and #4: Gilbert Peak and Gunsight Peak. THE MOST MEMORABLE TRIP EVER. 2600+ ft "easy" climb right out of the tent to Gilberts. Witnesses the ever elusive mountain goats and photo'd them to prove to ourselves and others we were able to spot them. Great trip over to Gunsight gleaming the rock gardens for the right rock and gems to bring down. Wind was terrible, but we were dressed for it.

Back to camp and enjoyed the relaxing moments before being eaten by mosquitos... even 98% Deet wears off pretty fast.

I'll post a link to some pictures once I figure out where to upload them.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/i ... 3000%20ft/
"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments