Options

Our Lady Peace

craigbcraigb Posts: 806
edited August 2010 in Other Music
I've been listening to their first 2 albums for awhile now and I must say that these albums are actually quite good.
However, I'm not too fond of anything they've done since "Clumsy."

Any fans out there?
"Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely, but mostly of their first 4 albums. If you haven't, definitely check out the concept album "Spiritual Machines", easily the fan favourite. Also Raine Maida's solo effort, "The Hunter's Lullaby", which sounds nothing like Our Lady Peace and is easily some of his best songwriting. They put on a wicked live show too, so if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend going to see them.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    i love all olp from the beginning to now

saw them a few times, theyre ok live
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    craigb wrote:
    I've been listening to their first 2 albums for awhile now and I must say that these albums are actually quite good.

Any fans out there?

Spiritual Machines and Happiness are both great albums.

Naveed (the song) is one of my favourite songs ever, sends shivers down my spine. I think Raine Maida is a great lyricist, not necessarily the most sophisticated, but he always manages to put a ray of hope in even the most depressing of songs.
  • Options
    Naveed (the album) is one of the best of the 90's. Raine Maida's solo album is fucking awesome. Caught him on his solo tour in a shitty little theatre. It was awesome.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    OLP is great but after they ditched their original producer and guitarist they've fallen flat and put out boring pop-rock albums which usually have a track or two on the whole thing to remind you "hey, we can still write great material, but we'd rather impress 14 year old girls". It's a shame really because technically their new guitarist is more suited in my opinion to the role of lead than Mike Turner was, but Mikes style was a big part of the feel of OLP - it's a shame they didn't add him in AND keep Mike.

Everything up to Spiritual Machines is brilliant, the three albums after leave a bad taste in my mouth, but if you cherry pick from the 3 (4 if you count the greatest hits) of them you can actually put together a decent playlist on your itunes:

Not Enough
    Sell My Soul
    Bring Back the Sun
    Angels/Losing/Sleep (nice Mike Turner guitar feel)
    Wipe that Smile Off Your Face
    Walking in Circles
    Kiss on the Mouth (Unreleased greatest hits)
    Monkey Brains
  • Options
    craigb wrote:

Any fans out there?

Spiritual Machines and Happiness are both great albums.

Naveed (the song) is one of my favourite songs ever, sends shivers down my spine. I think Raine Maida is a great lyricist, not necessarily the most sophisticated, but he always manages to put a ray of hope in even the most depressing of songs.

Yeah. "Naveed" turned me on to the band in the first place, although my current favs might be "Starseed" and "Story of 100 Aisles"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    my understanding was that Turner left on his own accord because he didn't like the direction the band was going in musically.

but yeah, after he left, most of the music is generic pop rock now. Off the new disc my favourites are Monkey Brains and The Right Stuff (iTunes pre-order bonus track). It seems like they are trying too hard to be Canada's U2.
    gibbits wrote:
    OLP is great but after they ditched their original producer and guitarist they've fallen flat and put out boring pop-rock albums which usually have a track or two on the whole thing to remind you "hey, we can still write great material, but we'd rather impress 14 year old girls". It's a shame really because technically their new guitarist is more suited in my opinion to the role of lead than Mike Turner was, but Mikes style was a big part of the feel of OLP - it's a shame they didn't add him in AND keep Mike.

Everything up to Spiritual Machines is brilliant, the three albums after leave a bad taste in my mouth, but if you cherry pick from the 3 (4 if you count the greatest hits) of them you can actually put together a decent playlist on your itunes:

Not Enough
    Sell My Soul
    Bring Back the Sun
    Angels/Losing/Sleep (nice Mike Turner guitar feel)
    Wipe that Smile Off Your Face
    Walking in Circles
    Kiss on the Mouth (Unreleased greatest hits)
    Monkey Brains
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Such a seminal event in my growing up seeing them at the Windsor Ice Arena! Great show then, not sure how much I dig them now.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smithnic wrote:
    Such a seminal event in my growing up seeing them at the Windsor Ice Arena! Great show then, not sure how much I dig them now.

that arena is tiny small, and thankfully, not used for the Spits anymore
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    OLP's first four albums were great. Spiritual Machines is the best. When they fired their guitarist and producer and changed their quirky approach, they lost me though. I really loved their live shows in the late 90s.
    'And his loneliness is proof'
  • Options
    Are you fucking kidding me? I was just thinking about OLP this morning. Haven't listened to them in forever.

I come on here and, an OLP thread? Odd. Great timing.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    huge fan... been following since the 90's. Last show I caught of them was last year in NYC.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    Sappy113Sappy113 Posts: 178
    I really dig the first 3 or so albums. Have done so ever since they were released way back when. Haven't followed them during their last albums, though, as it just seemed way too generic for my taste these days. Still really like Happiness... and so on.
  • Options
    mattseattleusamattseattleusa North Idaho, USA Posts: 346
    Long time fan of OLP here as well. Always a great live show! Still hoping to see them open for PJ someday :)
    I will not lose my Faith, it's an Inside job today....
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    To be fair to OLP - I saw them at Massey Hall do Clumsy in its entirety and Spiritual Machines, and Raine sounded the best he has since 99. Turner was kicked out - he certainly didn't leave of his own accord, but the band tried to make it look mutual. (A fiend of mine is grew up with Jeremys sister). It definitely arose out of the musical direction being simplified (Bob Rock even told Raine that his lyrics were too complex, changing songs like "Arrogant" to "Innocent" (the original cut), but there were underlying tensions since at least Spiritual Machines apparently.

EDIT - Funny someone mentioned Canadas U2 - I was trying to put my finger on what changed and it seems where the early albums took note from the pumpkins, and soundgarden as major influences, but since spiritual machines it seems they really REALLY want to sound like U2. Depressing to say the least.
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    ogre1213 wrote:

yeah this is the show I was at.. it was awesome.

Also, the band that opened for them was pretty good. Queen Killing Kings, not to shabby, I like the piano so I gravitate towards that stuff.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    I've been working my way through all of the music that I copied from my cousin's hard drive, I've just been deleting a lot of the crap that he has but there's 6 or 7 OLP albums on there. I haven't got around to listening to them yet, what kind of stuff is it?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Great band, good call! I like all their records in different ways. "clumsy" and "gravity" are probably my favorites.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    I've been working my way through all of the music that I copied from my cousin's hard drive, I've just been deleting a lot of the crap that he has but there's 6 or 7 OLP albums on there. I haven't got around to listening to them yet, what kind of stuff is it?

It's alternative rock. The first few albums remind me of the Smashing Pumpkins and have more of an early 90's sound. The others tend to be alot more poppy alt rock, with good melodies and such, but I heavily prefer the early stuff. Check out "Starseed," "Naveed," and "Superman's Dead."

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    New Raine Maida solo album "Bury Me With a Gun" out August 24th on iTunes Canada!! ... don't know about the rest of the world, sorry.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2