Walking...to lose weight and stay healthy

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I am a prime candidate for weight loss. I'm about 30-40 pounds over my ideal weight for my height (5'6" at 215lbs). I had major back surgery in the middle of January this year, and began physical therapy 3 months later.
A few weeks ago (around the 10th) I began going on little walks around my neighborhood in Altadena. I live 3 miles northeast of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA. Since the week of the 12th I've been walking 4 or more miles a day, and I'm going farther distances as time moves on. A full loop around the Rose Bowl and golf course is a little over 3 miles. I try to get 1 1/2 to 2 laps each time I go down there.
Who else is a fan of walking/jogging? Are there any forums on the Internet about this subject? I'm not yet up to do constant running. I feel a few more weeks of walking every day will build my strength up.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• matabelematabele Posts: 277
    Walking is fantastic, it is good for the mind, body and soul. I have been doing it my whole life and have had some epic walks, not once have I failed to come home without seeing something that caught my attention. My car stays parked up most of the time, if I need to go and do some basic shopping or visit a friend, I walk, I only use the car if I have to.
    It has added to my life in numerous ways, check out people in your local area as there is always someone looking to get out there, keep it up and enjoy.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I walk every day and love it. Luckily I live near a very picturesque canal and walk it for about 4 miles. I see it through the different seasons and it changes all the time. The ducks during mating season is a laugh and then the swans arrive. I've even seen a fox walk along the frozen water with snow all around and cursed that I didn't have the camera.

I've seen a number of walking sites in this country but not seen any forums. The sites have listed a lot of excellent walks. I imagine you'd find the same near you. ENJOY!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Walking is great and it helped me to lose 35 lbs. last year. I can't always go for long walks so I try to incorporate it into as many activities as I can. When I go to the grocery store, even if I only need a few things I walk up and down every aisle. If the weather is bad I go to some big box store and walk around. But I agree that walking outdoors is the best. I love that even in a familiar place I find new things to look at. Last year and this year, I had temporary jobs with the Census Bureau and those required lots of walking, which added a lot to my enjoyment of the experience.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Walking helps everything, your mind, your body, even an upset stomach. Great time to listen to PJ way too loud and zone out.
  • I'm in a very similar situation as you, BBB. Major neck surgery in March. 2nd major neck surgery, actually. I had 2 discs removed and fused in 03, but it didn't work. So I had a revision, a re-fusion basically, in March. I found out in december that I needed the surgery. at the time I was 217 pounds. Fearing I would only get fatter post surgery, that day I set 195 by the day of the surgery as a goal. I did some working out at PT, light weights, but mostly walking, and got to 195 two days before the surgery. Still walk every day, usually with 2 toddlers ina double stroller. They love it. Today i'm at 188, and it's mostly due to walking. I eat better too
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    the key to fat loss is follow a few simple rules.

1. figure out your normal calorie requirements (usually about 14 x weight). Cut between 500 to 1000 calories from that. MUST keep track on your own, using fatsecret, or fitday. Smartphones have great apps for this.

2. Consume about 1g of protien per pound of LEAN body weight.

3. Lift weights 3x a week. If you cant due to the surgery, ask your doctor if you can use resistance bands and work your way up.

4. Aim to lose about 1-3 lbs per week. Adjust your daily calorie intake based on a few weeks' sample space.

5. Cardio/walking is great, but dont overdo it. Little things like walking when you normally wouldnt, taking stairs, etc every little bit helps.

ALso, for a walking/running novice... Nike+ is perfect. A pod goes into your sneaker and synchs with your ipod. It charts your distance, time, etc. It goes on your computer and online. There is a great community there for people of all motivations. I would highly recommend it. Even if you dont use Nike sneaks there are ways to install the pod.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I love walking. We invested in a treadmill about ten years ago (got tired of those gym memberships where you never go) and I try to do it every day. I like it cause you can read. Fresh air's probably better, but on super hot days you don't have to sweat too much.

The Rose Bowl walk is a great one - my daughter swims for the Rose Bowl team and when I take her to practice I really should walk while she's working out. If you ever see a woman doubled-over and throwing up, that'll be me. And if you see a cute 13 year old girl running around the Rose Bowl and not breaking a sweat, that'll be my daughter.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I used to walk every day around downtown montreal... I moved back home, and stopped walking. I gained 15 pounds. Needless to say, I'm back to walking.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    I love walking. I walked on a treadmill at the gym almost 7 days a week before I moved but since i've moved, I haven't been walking very much. Monday will be the start of my walking and a diet. I'm gonna have to walk in the morning cuz this heat in the afternoon is gonna kill me.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I try and walk everyday... recently I've been trying to do a walk/jog rotation to build up my stamina. I'd like to be able to run on a regular basis... but right now I feel like I'll keel over when running. Soon enough I'll be there :D
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I just love walking or hiking in the woods, one of the easiest exercises out there. But, I also jog and run - with the summer heat - it's been difficult to do.

Enjoy your walking....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Anyone here on the board live in the Pasadena/Glendale/Los Angeles area? We should get together and walk a few laps at the Rose Bowl. I went to meetup.com and joined a walking group on there called popwiLA (plenty of people walk in LA). Here's the URL: http://www.meetup.com/popwiLA-plenty-of ... a=facebook
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09