Woman 'assaulted' after Facebook date

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
sometimes i wonder what goes through womens heads.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/793 ... ebsite-man

A Sydney woman has told police she was sexually assaulted by a man she met briefly on a social networking website.

The incident has again prompted police to urge people using websites such as Facebook to be careful when when dealing with strangers.

Police say the 24-year-old from Minto, in Sydney's southwest, recently struck up a brief friendship with a man she met over the internet.

She allowed him to spend Monday night in her lounge room but he allegedly entered her bedroom about 1am (AEST) on Tuesday and sexually assaulted her.

Police are investigating the allegations and have set up a crime scene in the home.

"Police are reminding all internet users to show extreme caution when befriending people via social networking sites and report any criminal activity," NSW Police said on Wednesday in a statement.

The warning comes after the body of Sydney woman Nona Belomesoff, 18, was found in May in bushland at Campbelltown in Sydney's south-west.

Police allege that just before her disappearance, Ms Belomesoff had arranged to meet two men she met on Facebook for an overnight camping trip.

Christopher James Dannevig, 20, of Leumeah, is charged with her murder and is due to appear in Campbelltown Local Court on July 28.

He has not entered a plea.

hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It does beggar belief that some women find themselves in this situation. Unfortunately, you can not trust anybody now, no matter how friendly, warm and gracious they may seem.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014

Not a lot by the sound of it. There's obviously a wide empty space between her ears. I know it sounds unkind but I can't feel a great deal of sympathy for her. Warnings about Facebook, MSN friendships etc have been going on for years.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I think people are crazy to meet someone they’ve only interacted with over the internet – in person – ALONE. I’ve met lots of people from this board at PJ concerts, but that’s a social situation with a lot of other people around.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    its not a facebook, myspace, eharmoney, match...etc issue. you could meet a person at a bar and have the same thing happen. it's called common sense and getting to know somebody a little bit before you let them sleep over. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    play nicely and not like a piece of garbage.
    to bad she didn't shoot him.

would a chest or head shot be the way to go or a bullet to the groin, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I assure everyone that I didn't do it, even though the murderer's first and middle name are the same as my first and last name. That was weird to read. :?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    She allowed him to spend Monday night in her lounge room but he allegedly entered her bedroom about 1am [/i]

I have two questions:

1. What is a "lounge room"
    2. Does anyone know exactly where Dissidentman said he was going on vacation?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I assure everyone that I didn't do it, even though the murderer's first and middle name are the same as my first and last name. That was weird to read. :?

Whoa, that's my first name and middle name also. :shock:
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    its not a facebook, myspace, eharmoney, match...etc issue. you could meet a person at a bar and have the same thing happen. it's called common sense and getting to know somebody a little bit before you let them sleep over. :roll:

bingo!

people are dumb
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:

EXACTLY.. something like half of people meet on the internet these days, so it's bound to happen.. Who dates through facebook anyways?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:

That's exactly right. Don't blame social networking because that didn't spawn weirdo's. They've always existed and always will. The problem here is lack of common sense and good judgment when meeting a stranger. What difference does it make if they're on Facebook...the degree of being unfamiliar is still the same.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    I still would like to know what a "lounge room" is. I'm picturing something where men stand around in brocade smoking jackets, and women lean back on chaises, languidly holding martinis.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I still would like to know what a "lounge room" is. I'm picturing something where men stand around in brocade smoking jackets, and women lean back on chaises, languidly holding martinis.
    I think it's a den in aussie lingo...unless this is what my husband has been referring to all this time :? :lol: Your version sounds much cooler though...especially if I can wear a 20's-style frock and hold one of those cigarette-holder things.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

i'd guess living room

and i'd be right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_room
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

EXACTLY.. something like half of people meet on the internet these days, so it's bound to happen.. Who dates through facebook anyways?

Didn't date, but my girlfriend and I met through Myspace. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I think it's a den in aussie lingo...unless this is what my husband has been referring to all this time :? :lol: Your version sounds much cooler though...especially if I can wear a 20's-style frock and hold one of those cigarette-holder things.

Now, that would be 8-)
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I met a girl through myspace too once, although, I wasn't using it to look for dates.. big mistake that was. I try to keep my facebook for family, friends, coworkers only.
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, I met a girl through myspace too once, although, I wasn't using it to look for dates.. big mistake that was. I try to keep my facebook for family, friends, coworkers only.

I hear that. I wasn't looking for a date either, in fact I was contacted by her...turned out to be something that wuold work for a while. Sorry you had a bad swing...no different than face to face meeting though, right?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

I met my husband here :oops: :oops: :lol: I was most definitely NOT looking for a date...unless it was with EV himself :P

It's more and more common to meet on the internet. The same rules apply as meeting a friend through a friend or someone at the bar...the only difference is someone could very easily pose as someone they're not...and I've heard of that happening a few times. One of my students thought she was talking to a 19 year old guy...only to eventually find out it was the kids 36 year old uncle posing as him and using his picture :shock: Don't know if there was a lounge room involved though :problem:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I hear that. I wasn't looking for a date either, in fact I was contacted by her...turned out to be something that wuold work for a while. Sorry you had a bad swing...no different than face to face meeting though, right?
    Yep.. had she approached me at a bar, I would have continued to go for it.. until I found out she was a little out there. lol.
    Yep.. had she approached me at a bar, I would have continued to go for it.. until I found out she was a little out there. lol.

Yeah, I guess that's the only down side to the net as opposed to face to face...you're sacrificing more time to find out if this is truly something you want to pursue..
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    nuffingman wrote:

Not a lot by the sound of it. There's obviously a wide empty space between her ears. I know it sounds unkind but I can't feel a great deal of sympathy for her. Warnings about Facebook, MSN friendships etc have been going on for years.
    and it's cos of posts like this that women are afraid to report things like this. WHO'S the (alleged) victim here? You're all talking like she's the one who committed a crime and the only crime was putting trust in a stranger... if I'd heeded all the warnings that are given throughout my life, it woulda been a pretty dull life.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    nuffingman wrote:

and it's cos of posts like this that women are afraid to report things like this. WHO'S the (alleged) victim here? You're all talking like she's the one who committed a crime and the only crime was putting trust in a stranger... if I'd heeded all the warnings that are given throughout my life, it woulda been a pretty dull life.

no she didnt commit a crime but we want girls to think safe before they act. did you not see in the article that the body of another girl had been found not long before this attack and the circumstances of that girl meeting her killer had parallels?? if you must meet strangers off the internet do so in a public place where you have exit routes if needed.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

no she didnt commit a crime but we want girls to think safe before they act. did you not see in the article that the body of another girl had been found not long before this attack and the circumstances of that girl meeting her killer had parallels?? if you must meet strangers off the internet do so in a public place where you have exit routes if needed.
    Nope.. there is such a culture of blame these days... the blame should ONLY lie with whoever is doing the bad stuff. I have put myself in MANY a compromising situation and these are where the best stories come from. If you follow all advice, you're never REALLY safe so what should we do, just hide away?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    This woman invited a complete stranger to come spend the night on her davenport in her lounge room. Hello? 'complete stranger' is the key word.
    If you leave your car door unlocked and somebody steals your stereo, the cops are gonna tell you 'too bad' because 'you invited the situation'. The cops told this to an ex of mine when his stereo was stolen.
    I used to meet people on the internet way back in the 90s and I'd meet them in a public place. I had a bar I went to, I knew all the bartenders and bouncers, I told them what I was doing there, we had a secret signal that I'd do if stuff didn't go well, and the bouncers would come over. When I left, they walked me to my car. How hard is doing something like that? There are way too many psycho weirdos out there, and if I was still meeting people on the internet, I'd try to take even more precautions.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

Nope.. there is such a culture of blame these days... the blame should ONLY lie with whoever is doing the bad stuff. I have put myself in MANY a compromising situation and these are where the best stories come from. If you follow all advice, you're never REALLY safe so what should we do, just hide away?

i get frustrated when i hear about these stories. with 3 daughters i shudder to think theyd put themselves in such a vulnerable position. and i certainly wouldnt absolve them from all responsibility. the girl is responsible for bringing this man into her home BUT the man is to blame for the attack. think smart. and you know being and thinking safe has nothing to do with hiding yourself away helen.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• The warning comes after the body of Sydney woman Nona Belomesoff, 18, was found in May in bushland at Campbelltown in Sydney's south-west.

Police allege that just before her disappearance, Ms Belomesoff had arranged to meet two men she met on Facebook for an overnight camping trip.

[/i]

Priceless... I have to admit that I did some stupid stuff as a teenager, but two guys, alone, in the woods? Were no red flags waved in her head?
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.

The warning comes after the body of Sydney woman Nona Belomesoff, 18, was found in May in bushland at Campbelltown in Sydney's south-west.

[/i]

Priceless... I have to admit that I did some stupid stuff as a teenager, but two guys, alone, in the woods? Were no red flags waved in her head?

charisma can kill you. some girls are more vulnerable to smooth talkers than others. there was an offer of employment apparently and thats why she agreed to meet.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    She allowed him to spend Monday night in her lounge room but he allegedly entered her bedroom about 1am [/i]

I have two questions:

1. What is a "lounge room"
    2. Does anyone know exactly where Dissidentman said he was going on vacation?

:shock: :shock: