Options

TS9 - mod or no mod

GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
edited December 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody familiar witht the TS9's. Is the Keeley Mod version much better than the standard pedal?

Any htoughts are apprieciated. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra cash.

thanks in advance
-Jeff
“I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Keeley mod is GREAT but look up some DIY mods (if you're comfortable). You can save some cash
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    Keeley mod is GREAT but look up some DIY mods (if you're comfortable). You can save some cash

you mean build it myself? Any reccomendations on where to look?

sorry about your gear, btw
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Definitely Keeley mod. I have both (Plus and Baked) and both are amazing. Plus is like a normal TS-9 with the cotton taken out of your ears. Baked is that, plus three times the gain. Between the two, I use the Plus more, but I'd keep the Baked if I could only have one.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options

you mean build it myself? Any reccomendations on where to look?

sorry about your gear, btw
    Thanks. Just google "TS9 DIY mod"

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/ts9.htm
  • Options
    Definitely Keeley mod. I have both (Plus and Baked) and both are amazing. Plus is like a normal TS-9 with the cotton taken out of your ears. Baked is that, plus three times the gain. Between the two, I use the Plus more, but I'd keep the Baked if I could only have one.

Baked is probably the one then. I'm trying to cut through some pretty heavy stuff from the band so I think the more the merrier in this case.

Thanks dudes!
  • Options
    My amp usually sounds great with the volume at about halfway. The Baked gets me close to that tone when the volume is at a quarter. It's got all the tone that the Plus mod has, and if you keep the gain low it sounds like a normal (albeit good) Tubescreamer. But it does heavier stuff, too. And the Tone control has a much wider usable range. My old stock TS-9 sounded good between 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock; the Keeley mods sound great from 11 o'clock to 4 o'clock.

If you're trying to cut through a heavy band, then a Tubescreamer is where it's at. Midrange frequencies will cut through best in that scenario, and a Tubescreamer is an infamous mid-boost overdrive.
  • Options
    Okay, i just picked up a new TS9 on Craigslist for $60. Not a bad deal.
    Now i'm looking to either mod myself or send out to get done.

Anybody fmailiar with the Analogman mod? How would you compare it to the Baked mod?

Just when i thought i had made up my mind :oops:
  • Options
    keeley mod, yes
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    Okay, i just picked up a new TS9 on Craigslist for $60. Not a bad deal.
    Now i'm looking to either mod myself or send out to get done.

Anybody fmailiar with the Analogman mod? How would you compare it to the Baked mod?

Just when i thought i had made up my mind :oops:
    I think the specs for the Analogman mod are online so you can do it yourself. That'd be a lot cheaper than sending it in
  • Options
    Hey dudes, do any of you know if Mike has true bypass on his TS9?
    Thanks
  • Options
    pedalbreak wrote:
    Thanks
    I think so since it is Keeley moded
  • Options
    pedalbreak wrote:
    Thanks
    I think so since it is Keeley moded
    Ah. That way I understood it is that the true bypass was another mod ontop of the mod plus, in the form of a little button. a la http://www.analogman.com/graphics/ts9bypass.jpg
  • Options
    Well I was an idiot and didn't search google images for Mike's board. Looks like it doesn't have true bypass. Case closed.
  • Options
    The bypass on a TS-9 is fine, unless you're uber-anal about having true-bypass on everything. And I don't think it affects Mike's tone at all (it sure doesn't seem to hurt my tone).
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Save your money and build your own tube screamer, you can build one with whactever mods you want for about $50 in parts. get a board from BYOC and you can source your own parts. you could also swap some components and make a OCD, Eternity etc... 90% of all the botique Overdrives are really modded tubescreamers

Here is one of the many I have built...

DSC_0635.jpg
    Guts
    DSC_0637.jpg

Had a ball making them and they sounds great
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I forgot to mention, you can make the mods switchable so you can go from stock to mod and back. That way you can have both...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04