corporate america

namecidnamecid Posts: 24
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I work for a large drug store chain. About a year and a half ago, they took away all overtime. As an assistant manager I was to work 44 hrs/ wk which is now gone. About a year ago, they said they had to eliminate 1 assistant per store. So instead of letting people go, they start putting "pressure" on them so they will quit to avoid paying unemployment. Fast forward to now. They are now telling assistants they have to "fill in" at another store for vacation. When they get to the other store, the DM and LP are there to let them know they no longer have a job!! They are not only doing this to assisants but to anyone who doesn't fit the mold. In some instances, they fire the person and then hire them back at a lower wage. Since they offered the person a job, workforce development looks at it, if they don't take the job, that they are refusing work and they will not receive their unemployment benefits! This is just WRONG!! What the hell is wrong with people? I understand doing cutbacks and such but to ultimately force someone into less money when you know they are barely making it is just wrong! One women I work with just lost $4 on the hour. She can't make it on what they are going to pay her. I'm worried that they are going to do this to me. They created a new job to fill the hole of the lost assistant in the stores. It would be a $8/hr pay cut for me. No way in hell I could make ends meet! Crazy thing is, we have a "Four Way Test" we are to go by at work. The last thing on the list is "Is it fair to all concerned?". I guess its their game and they can change the rules and they way they play the game but that doesn't mean its right!!!
Namecid
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• namecidnamecid Posts: 24
    I forgot to add that while they are cutting hours and claim to be broke, they just spent $1 billion to buy out another drug store chain. In their news letter, they were pleased to anounce, that it has been paid in full!!
    Namecid
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Being an employer, not in the corporate world just small business, in the past we have considered letting go high paid older workers. These left from the over inflated 90's era, to replace them with less experienced "hungry" workers of today. In some cases this is necessary to provide jobs for the mass of your company. It is very tough times for all business, struggling just to remain open. If you can get someone for half the cost you can provide for two or you need half the work to keep them busy whichever situation your company is in. I think we will be seeing lots more of this and lots more demands on workers to produce more and work longer hours. It is terrible to be one of the unemployed, thanks are given just for the blessing of a job. Unfortunately some employers will take advantage of this and some workers will take advantage of it, providing more for less.
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    i need to win the fucking lottery
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i work for a Good Corporation, and still see so much corruption and bullshit, it's scary, can't immagine working for one the bad ones.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'm guessing the bonuses paid out this year to senior management were a good sum ... :(
    I think our CEO got 4.3 million last year. Bonus that is
    Namecid
    My co-workers sister worked for lehmann bros, when they were around. Her boss made two hundred thousand a year base salary,and then would get a bonus for about 1.5 to 2 million a year. How can your bonus be 10 times your salary? WTF!!!
    Not only the bonuses, but they caught a guy who robbed several stores over about a years time. I want to say something like 14 times He was robbing the RX for oxycontin. When they caught him, they wouldn't press charges because he had a drug problem. He had gotten over $50,000 worth of drugs. No charges. So what does this tell people? Come rob us! Why don't we just give it to them to start with and save the drama of the gun or knife show?
    Namecid
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    corporate shit sucks.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • As long as we lay off Police and Firemen, I'll be happy. They're the only reason the economy is as bad as it is.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • nospokenwordsnospokenwords Posts: 65
    edited July 2010
    namecid wrote:
    Not only the bonuses, but they caught a guy who robbed several stores over about a years time. I want to say something like 14 times He was robbing the RX for oxycontin. When they caught him, they wouldn't press charges because he had a drug problem. He had gotten over $50,000 worth of drugs. No charges. So what does this tell people? Come rob us! Why don't we just give it to them to start with and save the drama of the gun or knife show?

I don't think you can compare the two. Oxycontin is a serious problem in many countries, and drug users, to get their fix often resort to stealing, this is nothing new. Why they continue to prescribe this is beyond me.

I'm so tired of reading about top guys at companies raking in millions in bonuses and salary and the average joe being laid off or has his wage frozen or reduced. There has to be a middle somewhere, the gap between the two continues to grow larger.
    Post edited by nospokenwords on
    emptycup wrote:
    I don't think you can compare the two. Oxycontin is a serious problem in many countries, and drug users, to get their fix often resort to stealing, this is nothing new. Why they continue to prescribe this is beyond me.

I'm so tired of reading about top guys at companies raking in millions in bonuses and salary and the average joe being laid off or has his wage frozen or reduced. There has to be a middle somewhere, the gab between the two continues to grow larger.

the nice chadwick stepped out for a quick smoke.
    the mean chadwick has something to say.

i despise suits.
    i despise greed.
    i despise glass office buildings 100 stories tall.
    i despise high powered lawyers.
    i despise false people out of touch with reality.
    i despise wealthy people who do not give to the needy.

the list continues to grow more and more everyday.
    i love common basis folks.

i would enjoy kicking some uppity puke square in the teeth.

the end
    i have to excuse myself
    nice chadwick is back...

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:
    emptycup wrote:

I'm so tired of reading about top guys at companies raking in millions in bonuses and salary and the average joe being laid off or has his wage frozen or reduced. There has to be a middle somewhere, the gab between the two continues to grow larger.

i despise suits.
    i despise greed.

the end
    i have to excuse myself
    nice chadwick is back...

we missed you.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i think i can name the company...but i won't in a public thread. hate to get the corporate snoopers going.

but yeah, greed is/has ruined alot of things about this country.

as for the drug theif, ,they should be prosecuted.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    emptycup wrote:

i despise suits.
    i despise greed.

the end
    i have to excuse myself
    nice chadwick is back...

That was refreshing, i needed that.
    81 wrote:
    i think i can name the company...but i won't in a public thread. hate to get the corporate snoopers going.

drug thieves are my favorite ppl.
    they're like a spun out version of robin hood, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:

drug thieves are my favorite ppl.
    they're like a spun out version of robin hood, yes/no?

Wouldn't have thought you to be a Reagan/Bush supporter.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:

I agree with you, unfortunately the severity of that statement will most likely never be fully acknowledged. :evil:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2