Options

E-book vs Print book?

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I can't weigh in completely as I never tried anything like a kindle. However, I see people on the metro using ebooks. My brother's county in NJ decreased the library budget by 70%. This may be a good time for that area to invest in the ebook . . . maybe not as I don't know the financial implications of the ebook. What would be interesting is the redefinition of the library, if by financial decisions the ebook replaces physical print media.

I don't see how the ebook could affect new book or used book stores so much. I love to browse, and a bookstore is my happy place. For others who view the bookstore as just a quick stop for required text the ebook may be the better option.

IDK . . . anyone have thoughts on this? I've seen discussions about this on goodreads.com, but it focused more on how the ebook will affect the publishing industry.
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    The day book shops close and everyone reads books on an ereader will be the end of civilisation as I know it. I love book shops, I can browse for hours.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    nuffingman wrote:
    The day book shops close and everyone reads books on an ereader will be the end of civilisation as I know it. I love book shops, I can browse for hours.

Same here. I LOVE books. My mom said I always had a book in my hand when I was younger. I love going into Barnes N Noble and just walk around and look at the books and read bits and pieces of each in the store. I always buy a book when I go there.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I like the the e-book. I like libraries and book stores as well. I think they can co-exist despite popular belief. There is something more natural about reading a book on the beach or in the woods that can never ever be replaced by the e-book, but I do get the easiness the e-book for the daily commuter. I am a commuter and also enjoy the privacy of the e-book as I'm not comfortable with other people knowing what I'm reading.
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    nuffingman wrote:

Agreed. Call me old fashion but I love curling up with a good book and to me an e-reader just isn't the same. Isn't anything sacred anymore?
  • Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I completely agree!
    I love the idea of an e-book, you don't have to carry 3 books on holiday and worry about where to stuff them all in your case etc.
    However, I can't resist rummaging in book shops and picking something out.
    Paper alllllllll the way!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    My local news station just had a blurb on this this morning----something about Amazon's kindles sales are now bigger than regular book sales.

I am old fashioned and hate change so I will stay with books.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I love my Kindle. I don't miss regular books at all. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    it's just a matter of time before everything is electronic.

but at the same time, i still prefer a newspaper/magazine to reading everything online. at home on the big screen of the computer it's fine, but on the go/at lunch i still prefer the real deal.

plus it's easier to skip the ads in the newspaper

little off topic
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    libragirl wrote:
    Civilization has now officially ended. :(
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I just got an iPad and downloaded a couple of books. I do miss having the book in my hand, but I like the convenience of being able to have several books with me at all times.

Although, I find myself more and more getting into audiobooks. My train and trolley commute is about 50 minutes, and I've never been able to read a book on the train without getting :sick: so I love the audiobooks for that.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Brock SamsonBrock Samson Posts: 328
    i love getting new books just as much as any other avid reader (love the smell of untouched pages, the crack when you open a brand new hardcover)......but i'd love to pick up a kindle.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    81 wrote:
    it's just a matter of time before everything is electronic.

but at the same time, i still prefer a newspaper/magazine to reading everything online. at home on the big screen of the computer it's fine, but on the go/at lunch i still prefer the real deal.

plus it's easier to skip the ads in the newspaper

little off topic

I agree about newspapers... for convenience, and skim/check out a bunch of stuff, online is the easiest. But if I want to sit down and read complete articles in newspapers or magazines, I'd much rather have the real thing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    marcos wrote:
    I like the the e-book. I like libraries and book stores as well. I think they can co-exist despite popular belief. There is something more natural about reading a book on the beach or in the woods that can never ever be replaced by the e-book, but I do get the easiness the e-book for the daily commuter. I am a commuter and also enjoy the privacy of the e-book as I'm not comfortable with other people knowing what I'm reading.

me too. I usually have a book with me wherever I go and almost ALWAYS have it wrapped in some sort of wrapping paper. I hate being harassed about what I'm reading, by that I mean even just being asked.

Really? I'm reading, that means please don't talk to me, I'm busy.

On topic, I LOVE going to book stores. But, as I said, I usually have a book with me wherever I go, which also means I finish them and unless I feel like lugging around multiple books(which I don't) then I'm stuck. I would love the eReaders that can browse the store's catalogue anywhere and I am good to go. I still like book stores a lot and I still love having books but i really think I would love the eReader more. I don't have the storage for books like I used to and I still have a ton. Plus, they're usually cheaper in the eBook form.

For those that say they love to browse the book stores for hours...well unless you're there to buy multiple books, they don't care, you're not supporting them by just being there...they need money. I buy books at the stores when they send coupons, otherwise it's just silly to pay that much anymore when there are so many other cheap resources to owning books.

All that said, I am DYING to buy a NOOK!!!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    nuffingman wrote:

Yeah if book stores go away, I'm outta here and by here I mean Earth.

Funny story my wife and her friend are re-reading the the Harry Potter series this summer. Her friend's sister was out our house and over text her friend asked where my wife was in the book they were on. My wife said "page 453". When her friend texted back she said she didn't know the page number because Kindle doesn't have page numbers but she was 60% done. Something just not right about that.

I can see the value of an e-reader, but I really have no desire for one. Of course I felt that way about an ipod and now I think it is the best invention of my lifetime. (Though I still wander into stores on all fours with a club and buy cds. :))
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    nuffingman wrote:
    libragirl wrote:
    Civilization has now officially ended. :(

ah, stop being so melodramatic! :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Admittedly I have this thing for books. Going to the bookstore and picking them out, going home, getting comfy on the couch and opening it up. I even like the smell of a brand new book.

That said, I also travel a lot for work and books aren't that convenient, especially since I always pack as light as possible.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Kindle or a Nook, or something soon.

I do believe both have their place.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    That said, I also travel a lot for work and books aren't that convenient, especially since I always pack as light as possible.

This is not directed at you, mca47, but I honestly cannot remember one time in my life hearing anyone complain about books being hard to travel with prior to e-readers becoming popular.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JB just got a Kindle, he's liking it, me to cause he can hold it, read in bed and rub my feet at the same time, harder to do with a book. I say yeah to that
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

This is not directed at you, mca47, but I honestly cannot remember one time in my life hearing anyone complain about books being hard to travel with prior to e-readers becoming popular.

Guess no one you've talked to reads a lot or travels for long periods? I took two of the harry potter books with me to australia. It's a long flight and if you finish your book, what else is there to read? You've got two fat books you're still lugging around. On the radio one day was a lady that was going into the peace corps too. She wanted to take an eReader because then she could have 200+ books with her. I think they're a wonderful invention, and believe me I'm obsessed with books in general. I'll always get books but, I want an eReader!! They sound wonderful for travel, or simply when carrying books around isn't really practical.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Guess no one you've talked to reads a lot or travels for long periods? I took two of the harry potter books with me to australia. It's a long flight and if you finish your book, what else is there to read? You've got two fat books you're still lugging around. On the radio one day was a lady that was going into the peace corps too. She wanted to take an eReader because then she could have 200+ books with her. I think they're a wonderful invention, and believe me I'm obsessed with books in general. I'll always get books but, I want an eReader!! They sound wonderful for travel, or simply when carrying books around isn't really practical.

Nope I don't know anyone that reads a lot. :roll:

Sure there are rare cases when needing more than two books with you would be good. Most people aren't going to read more than 2 books on a trip and most trips are not across the world.

Plus it's not like 3 or 4 paperbacks take up THAT much room.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,768
    how will a pop-up book work on Kindle?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    Nope I don't know anyone that reads a lot. :roll:

Sure there are rare cases when needing more than two books with you would be good. Most people aren't going to read more than 2 books on a trip and most trips are not across the world.

Plus it's not like 3 or 4 paperbacks take up THAT much room.

You're right, those were just examples. Like, i take my lunch to work everyday. In the lunchbag I take a book to read. I don't want to carry multiple books in my lunch bag, so an eReader is perfect if I finish my book and have no more to read for the rest of the hour.

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    We bought my grandfather one because he has problems reading regular books due to the font size.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    We bought my grandfather one because he has problems reading regular books due to the font size.

I wasn't going to mention that, but since you opened the door I will step through. For those of us who are a certain age, and woefully nearsighted to begin with, it's great to be able to change the font size depending on whether I"m wearing my contacts or not. Otherwise I'm reading with contacts and the book out at arm's length, or with no corrective lenses and the book against my nose.

Sucks getting old! :lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited July 2010
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

heres a thought.... pass them on.

im too much of a bibliophile to ever contemplate going electronic. too much of me would die inside.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I agree with an earlier poster who said he/she thinks they can co-exist. My husband has a Kindle and he likes it for reading super long books or popular stuff (like Under the Dome). Kind of more disposable stuff he reads and doesn't want to keep. And great for planes or trips.

Me, I'm addicted to print books. I like to hold them in my hands, save them, re-read them if I love them. I just read the new book on K2 No Way Down and it's got lots of pictures and maps and I can't imagine reading it on a Kindle. One day you might see me on one of those hoarding shows - wow, look at the crazy woman with all those books. But I don't care.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Well, I can say for myself that when I travel (which is usually multiple times per week for work) I have it down perfectly.
    Granted your average paperback is pretty small, but when you add in the other 3-4 books I'm currently reading plus the newspapers...it does add up.
    I also can't tell you how many books I've left in seat pockets, hotel rooms, restaurants...
    When you just have the one thing that really does it all...it works out really well for those on the road.
    Also, when I said I pack light...if I can't get something in my backpack and travel bag, it's not coming with. I can't also usually get a bottle of water in my pack, let alone a couple of extra books.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS !!!!

I'm an avid reader, I want a book I can hold and turn the pages myself.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Well, I can say for myself that when I travel (which is usually multiple times per week for work) I have it down perfectly.
    Granted your average paperback is pretty small, but when you add in the other 3-4 books I'm currently reading plus the newspapers...it does add up.
    I also can't tell you how many books I've left in seat pockets, hotel rooms, restaurants...
    When you just have the one thing that really does it all...it works out really well for those on the road.
    Also, when I said I pack light...if I can't get something in my backpack and travel bag, it's not coming with. I can't also usually get a bottle of water in my pack, let alone a couple of extra books.

This is where I agree completely. I also think it works everyday since I take books to work to read at lunch.

• Options
    rrivers wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

around isn't really practical.

heres a thought.... pass them on.

im too much of a bibliophile to ever contemplate going electronic. too much of me would die inside.[/quote]

What an idea, catefrances!

I don't deny that there are advantages. My point was that no one was clamoring for this device before it came out. If someone finished a book at lunch, maybe they bought a newspaper, had a conversation, went back to work earlier, or (and I know this wouldn't apply to LizardJam) started the other book they brought with them that one day because they figured they would finish it at lunch. I know carrying two paperbacks requires enormous strength and careful planning.

Plus books never break down or need recharging. Or backing up. As I stated earlier I love my ipod, think it is a fantastic invention. But last Friday I bought an external hard drive to back up all my songs and my wife's songs plus the pictures on our computer. I followed the directions on apple.com for backing them up and transferring them and then I went to itunes and it was empty and the hard drive was empty as well. After talking to apple support for close to two hours we restored all the songs but after I was thinking I used to just buy a cd and that was it.

Just saying there are advantages and disadvantages to this stuff.