DirectTV opinions?

Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Since I hate Comcast and cannot deal with them any longer im thinking of switching to DirectTV. The deal im getting has pretty much everything I had with Comcast and at a better price. Can anyone give me some positive and/or negative reviews and some insight to the install process. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    For the most part DirecTV is pretty good, although that "cheap price" they throw out there quickly becomes more and more expensive as they pile fees on you (i.e. you never own your receivers, you "lease" them, there is a fee for DVR service, there is a fee for HD (although I hear that is going away for new subscribers), etc.). Weather can become an issue with your signal but as long as the dish isn't totally exposed to the elements, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Customer service can sometimes suck but for the most part they are pretty good and they treat new subscribers much better than longtime subscribers so you should be able to get a great deal for at least the first few months. The biggest upside to DirecTV though is that they have a ton of HD channels, and the NFL package is the greatest invention the world has ever seen. It would allow someone like yourself to watch real football instead of Tom "I'm trying really hard to look like Justin Bieber" Brady and the Pats up there in Mass. ; )
  • Directv compared to the other providers (comcast, at&t in my area) has more channels for the money. For the same price, directv has comedy central, national geographic, discovery health, food network, travel channel...just to name a few. Plus, Directv has so many sports channels its not even funny, so no matter what sport your into they have a package for you (if you want to pay for it) but they also have a bunch of other sport related channels that come w/ the basic package that other providers dont have cuz they're directv exclusive. I've had directv for maybe 6 years now...i havent had any problems with them....do take into consideration how clear your view of the sky is...where i am, my satellite reads at 98-99%. But i know people who have trees in their yard, or other obscurities that causes them to have only like an 80% satellite read on a good day..this means, if its windy or rainy, youre gonna lose it....but if you have a good read, then its hardly a problem. only a few times in really bad storms i have lost signal, but it usually comes back w/in half an hour. the only thing that sux, which, like all other phone/cable services, you get a promo rate for the first year..then after that it goes waaay up...you just have to call and threaten to switch to comcast....they'll get a supervisor on the phone to kiss your ass real quick plus...make sure they give you free movie channels for a few months....they usually do that for new customers :D
    good luck
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    I share your hatred of Comcast. I've been with direct TV for about 6 years now. They gave us showtime free for 1 year to 'celebrate' our 5 year anniversary with them. Comcast sucks - especially because for me - I live in Philadelphia - Comcast has its own channel which features the stinking phillies, the great flyers and the loser sixers. Last year I had to wait until the playoffs to watch the flyers. Ed Snider won't give the channel up to any other cable or satellite network so we get screwed out of those games. The only issue I have with direct TV is if we have a really bad storm the signal does go out for about 10-15 minutes. There have been a handful of times when it was out longer but the majority of times it comes back on pretty quickly. A co-worker of mine just moved and she had to get comcast and has been extremely unhappy. Her new apartment complex had a tree blocking the signal so she had no alternative. You should be happy with them.
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Thanks for all the info, Yea the NFL Package looks great. Im getting a free DVR and HD box and free movie channels for 3 months.
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    nothin' wrong with DTV. Although when it rains hard it goes out.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    edited July 2010
    I had DirecTV for about 8 years and recently switched to Verizon Fios about 2 months ago.

DirecTV PROS:
    -Superior channel guide
    Each HD channel is the same channel number as the non-HD channel. So you don't need to remember a whole new set of numbers for HD and non-HD identical channels.

-Channel Clarity
    Channels on DTV are extremely clear. I noticed when I switched to Fios that the channels were also clear, but once in a while I'd see some pixelation on Fios on fast moving graphics which I didn't ever see on DTV. I don't notice it anymore, so maybe my eyes have adjusted or maybe the minor pixelation has stopped.

-Customer Service
    DTV has very polite, nice customer service who are helpful.

-Extra locations for free
    If you find on craigslist someone selling a satellite dish, you can install an "extra bedroom" box somewhere else with just the $5 or $10 a month box fee. They don't know if you're hooking it up to a house elsewhere, or a shed, or at work. And it's somewhat easy to do. :D

DirecTV CONS:
    -Price increases
    The price of DTV kept going up, and while it was relatively easy to get them to lower them for 3 or 6 months with just a phone call, I didn't like the spikes from $70 a month to $100 a month without warning.

-Installation People
    Some of their installation people are better than others. I've had DTV installed about 4 times in 8 years. The last time they sent a pair of yokels in a stationwagon from out of state to install. They kept me there all day, and into the next day. They also charged me $200, and it still didn't work right. I had to have them send out another tech (with a proper DTV van) to fix it. When I questioned DTV's customer service they said some of the work they were doing was supposed to be included, and they credited me on a bill some of that amount.

-Blackouts during dense thunderstorms
    If you have heavy dark clouds of rain and thunder coming by, your DTV will go out during this time. It would usually last for maybe 20 minutes. A minor nuisance for me, but a nuisance none the less.

The reason I switched to Fios was because I wanted Internet as well as HDTV, and they had the best bundle. DTV also offered an internet package and the package included Fios Internet (they have some arrangement in our area) but the price was less to just get Fios Internet, HDTV, and a few bucks less than that a month to bundle it with my Verizon Cellphone. I'm getting used to Fios, and it's a good service. But if I could opt to use DTV for the same price, without the blackouts, price-spikes and installation idiots, then I'd consider it. Also, luckily Fios was already piped into our new house from previous people, so Verizon said no setup charges and no cancellation fees since it's already inside the house.
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    MD97728 wrote:
    I share your hatred of Comcast. I've been with direct TV for about 6 years now. They gave us showtime free for 1 year to 'celebrate' our 5 year anniversary with them. Comcast sucks - especially because for me - I live in Philadelphia - Comcast has its own channel which features the stinking phillies, the great flyers and the loser sixers. Last year I had to wait until the playoffs to watch the flyers. Ed Snider won't give the channel up to any other cable or satellite network so we get screwed out of those games. The only issue I have with direct TV is if we have a really bad storm the signal does go out for about 10-15 minutes. There have been a handful of times when it was out longer but the majority of times it comes back on pretty quickly. A co-worker of mine just moved and she had to get comcast and has been extremely unhappy. Her new apartment complex had a tree blocking the signal so she had no alternative. You should be happy with them.

Thats horrible that comcast is the only way to get your sports teams. I already checked with DirectTV and they have NESN and Comcast sportsnet so I can watch the Sox,Bruins and Celtics. Im a little worried since my house is surrounded by a lot of woods, so im not sure what type of signal ill get. MY friend said his signal has only gone out once for a very short period of time in the past year because of a large storm.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I had DirecTV for about 8 years and recently switched to Verizon Fios about 2 months ago.

DirecTV PROS:
    -Superior channel guide
    Each HD channel is the same channel number as the non-HD channel. So you don't need to remember a whole new set of numbers for HD and non-HD identical channels.

-Channel Clarity
    Channels on DTV are extremely clear. I noticed when I switched to Fios that the channels were also clear, but once in a while I'd see some pixelation on Fios on fast moving graphics which I didn't ever see on DTV. I don't notice it anymore, so maybe my eyes have adjusted or maybe the minor pixelation has stopped.

-Customer Service

If you find on craigslist someone selling a satellite dish, you can install an "extra bedroom" box somewhere else with just the $5 or $10 a month box fee. They don't know if you're hooking it up to a house elsewhere, or a shed, or at work. And it's somewhat easy to do. :D

DirecTV CONS:
    -Price increases
    The price of DTV kept going up, and while it was relatively easy to get them to lower them for 3 or 6 months with just a phone call, I didn't like the spikes from $70 a month to $100 a month without warning.

-Installation People
    Some of their installation people are better than others. I've had DTV installed about 4 times in 8 years. The last time they sent a pair of yokels in a stationwagon from out of state to install. They kept me there all day, and into the next day. They also charged me $200, and it still didn't work right. I had to have them send out another tech (with a proper DTV van) to fix it. When I questioned DTV's customer service they said some of the work they were doing was supposed to be included, and they credited me on a bill some of that amount.

If you have heavy dark clouds of rain and thunder coming by, your DTV will go out during this time. It would usually last for maybe 20 minutes. A minor nuisance for me, but a nuisance none the less.

The reason I switched to Fios was because I wanted Internet as well as HDTV, and they had the best bundle. DTV also offered an internet package and the package included Fios Internet (they have some arrangement in our area) but the price was less to just get Fios Internet, HDTV, and a few bucks less than that a month to bundle it with my Verizon Cellphone. I'm getting used to Fios, and it's a good service. But if I could opt to use DTV for the same price, without the blackouts, price-spikes and installation idiots, then I'd consider it. Also, luckily Fios was already piped into our new house from previous people, so Verizon said no setup charges and no cancellation fees since it's already inside the house.

Thanks of all the information. I would try FIOS but its not available in my area. I just moved to a new town and they only offer Comcast. I think ill give DirecTV a try and hopefully I dont get some dudes in a station wagon hooking it up
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we have dish but its close enough. :lol:

the key with trees are if they in the line of sight for the dish. we had to have ours moved from the middle of the roof to the end for it to work. we lose signal maybe 3 or 4 times a year during stores, but typically, only when the storm begins and outtages last on a few minutes.

comcast sucks. i had the hockey package this season and only had the philly feed 4 times. :roll: i guess it was kind of fun to listen to all the annoucers from around the country's. :lol:

and anytime they raise your rate, call them up and tell them you are going to switch. it'll come right back down.

if we get Fios, i'll be switching. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Mcam55 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

DirecTV PROS:
    -Superior channel guide

-Channel Clarity

-Customer Service

DirecTV CONS:
    -Price increases

-Installation People

Thanks of all the information. I would try FIOS but its not available in my area. I just moved to a new town and they only offer Comcast. I think ill give DirecTV a try and hopefully I dont get some dudes in a station wagon hooking it up

Yes, if you see a station-wagon pull up... make an excuse not to set it up. :D Actually, maybe if you ask for a "DTV Van, not an out-of-area contractor" they might do it. DTV is much better than Comcast, from what I've seen. Also, definitely get an HD-DVR if you have an HDTV. Also, when you're signing up, find a competitors rates, and if its less than what they're offering, then ask them to match it.

Also - DON'T have them attach it to your roof, unless you don't mind possibly voiding your roof's warranty. The other option is to have them attach it to a poll in your yard, but the poll will cost you, as well as having them run the extra wire, as well as then digging under the grass to place the wire... but better safe than sorry.

Good luck!
  • i would also recommend the insurance on the boxes - since they arent yours...if something happens to them, or a remote....you have to outright buy a new one which is ridiculously overpriced. to me, its worth the $5 per month/per box fee. i also think (but am not sure) if you dont have the insurance, and the problem is with your box...they will charge you a fee to come out and check/fix the problem.

and if not a station wagon..it may be a rapist van w/ some mexicans...but hey...its cool

Poster-Chances.jpg
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I just went through pricing online and I don't like the $30 jump after 12 months...

We have Time Warner, and while service has been decent, I'd like to get away from them.

For 12 months, Verizon FIOS internet + Direct TV is cheaper than what I'm paying now, but after 12 months, it's about $10 more (even more with taxes and crap added).

I wish Verizon would get TV here... Their bundles seem like the best bet financially...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I just went through pricing online and I don't like the $30 jump after 12 months...

We have Time Warner, and while service has been decent, I'd like to get away from them.

For 12 months, Verizon FIOS internet + Direct TV is cheaper than what I'm paying now, but after 12 months, it's about $10 more (even more with taxes and crap added).

I wish Verizon would get TV here... Their bundles seem like the best bet financially...

Why is there Verizon Fios Internet there, but not Verizon Fios TV? I thought they used the same wires?

while annoying that you have to do it, all you have to do is make an annual call to customer service to have them lower the price back down. i do it with every year with dish and was doing it with WOW! until i dropped them. Need to work on sprint, but they are a little more prickley than other companies that i've called.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    All versions of cable suck. Like really suck. Just fyi
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    CJMST3K wrote:

Why is there Verizon Fios Internet there, but not Verizon Fios TV? I thought they used the same wires?

Not sure... Albany, NY area has had FIOS internet for a while, but no TV in sight... I'm sure it's some sort of crooked gov't regulations that Time Warner and their lobbying efforts are behind.

We bought our house 2 years ago, and the old owners had FIOS internet, so it's all wired and everything...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    The on demand feature is the best thing about cable now, though I suppose if you get the TiVo thing it may be equal, but I simply love the on demand because I'm lazy and like to watch whatever is available. But I think Direct TV has a better picture quality than Dish.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,685
    I switched to DTV last year from CONcast. Its been great. My few experienes with customer service have been real nice. The price is very fair... and there are many, many more HD stations available. I also dont get 6 calls a week from CONcast to sign up for their "Triple Play Package" (that was annoying, no matter how many times I told them I dont want phone service).

When I cancelled my CONcast cable to go with Directv, the rep said fine, but my internet would go up to like $70 a month without the cable.... but they could knock it down to $40 if I subscribe to $20 of cable and just dont use it. Awesome customer service.

I have had terrible situations with each of my past 4 cable companies:
    Adelphia, Crime Warner, Charter (the #1 worst), and CONcast.

DTV good.

The only problem is that you lose the signal in certain weather. At that time you could switch and watch something from the DVR, and I have also noticed that the Non-HD versions of stations rarely go out, even when the HDs are out.

Oh, if you like hockey, and get Center Ice, you get all the broadcasts (home and away) and all of them in HD (if available).
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Mcam55 wrote:
    Thats horrible that comcast is the only way to get your sports teams. I already checked with DirectTV and they have NESN and Comcast sportsnet so I can watch the Sox,Bruins and Celtics. Im a little worried since my house is surrounded by a lot of woods, so im not sure what type of signal ill get. MY friend said his signal has only gone out once for a very short period of time in the past year because of a large storm.
    You may have realized it but the only thing about watching your teams whenever you want is that you have to get the package....I've been getting the baseball package for six years now to watch the Sox. You also will only pick up NESN during games and it goes off immediately after unless you also pay for the sports package that includes all those regional sports networks
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I don't like dtv. If you want to cancel you have to pay 20$ for each remaining month left on the contract. If I could do it over again I would go with.... Damn I forgot the name... Dtv's rival.
    I'll be back
    I don't like dtv. If you want to cancel you have to pay 20$ for each remaining month left on the contract. If I could do it over again I would go with.... Damn I forgot the name... Dtv's rival.

dish :lol: we don't have a contract with dish, except during hockey season when i get the package. not sure how it would work if i tired to switch providers during the season. seems like it should switch for free
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    NFL Sunday Ticket.......been a DTV customer for about ten years....at three different locations....the dense T'storms are my only quibble.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Well I signed up and the guy is coming Saturday. Thanks everyone for the info.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Long time Dish Network customer here. Is there any reason for me to switch to DTV outside of the NFL or MLB packages?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    My biggest issue with DirecTV were the picture going out with a little bit of rain and the menus. The menus move soooooooo fucking slow compared to the comcast menu. That drove me nuts. Plus, the lack of on demand that makes comcast so great is huge. The only positives for me with DirecTV were more HD channels and the NFL package.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    If your a sports fan, Its FN' sweet.
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I've had Directv for 11 years and love it...

I love the NFL package...but they keep jacking up the price...so we call and cancel...then they offer the package for half price...I say "deal"...we signed up for automatic bill pay and they knocked 10 bucks off a month...

When we call, customer service is on the line in just a couple minutes...and they usually give free stuff...I had free showtime for a year as a "gift" for being a loyal subscriber...

A couple years ago they sent us a portable DVD player just because...

The only issue is that it does go out during a heavy, heavy rain...but that only lasts for a few minutes...