ZiggyStar wrote:
    I do all my news reading online
    Same here.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    metsfan wrote:
    what local newspaper is this

sadly this is becoming the trend for a dying(newspaper) industry

damn internet
    Saving trees and creating less garbage is hardly sad.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It's unfortunate for the people who have jobs at the places that print and deliver the papers but on the other hand it WILL save a lot of paper.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    2 FAMILY members work for the ny post...bite your tounge
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Screw jobs. Welfare is where it's at.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:

damn internet
    that's easy for you to say when you don't work in the industry and have to worry bout not having a job like i fucking do. thousands upon thousands of people are outta jobs cause newspaper industry is dying. i could rattle off a buncha newspaper that have closed but i don't you'd give a fuck.

so you like getting your "news" from a "writer" who doesn't a have fucking lick of basic knowledge bout journalism. you and many others are the reason why the journalist industry is dead but yet will still criticize a internet writer for being clueless.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

http://newspaperdeathwatch.com/

R.I.P.
    US metropolitan dailies that have closed since this site was created in March, 2007

Tucson Citizen

Rocky Mountain News

Baltimore Examiner

Kentucky Post

Cincinnati Post

King County Journal

Union City Register-Tribune

Halifax Daily News

Albuquerque Tribune

South Idaho Press

San Juan Star

Honolulu Advertiser
    W.I.P.
    Works In Progress: Former print dailies that have adopted hybrid online/print or online-only models.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Capital Times

Detroit News/Free Press

Christian Science Monitor

East Valley Tribune

Ann Arbor News

Flint Journal; Bay City Times; Saginaw News

Catskill Daily Mail & Hudson Register-Star

but hey lets save those trees eh LAO. i guess trees are more important then the american employment rate. i can't wait till your jobless and struggle to make ends meat. maybe only then will you get through your brain.

metsfan wrote:

but hey lets save those trees eh LAO. i guess trees are more important then the american employment rate. i can't wait till your jobless and struggle to make ends meat. maybe only then will you get through your brain.
    Dude.. it sucks, but that's life. Times change. Things change. If you are a smart person, you will adapt like the rest of the world will. If there's no need for newspapers anymore, then there's no need. There's plenty of industries that have died, and there's plenty that will be born. The world has to adapt.. I would hope you'd posses the intelligence, where if you were to lose your job, you could start something new and offer your abilities in a different way to the world. I have faith in you.
    metsfan wrote:

Dude.. it sucks, but thats life. Times change. Things change. If you are a smart person, you will adapt like the rest of the world will. If there's no need for newspapers anymore, then there's no need. There's plenty of industries that have died, and there's plenty that will be born. The world has to adapt.
    being smart doesn't have anything to do with it when you can't find a job and have to go in another field or go back to college. yea it does suck having to take a 5% paycut and knowing you've on a sinking ship for some time now but still need that sinking ship to get by in life like i do.

metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Dude.. it sucks, but thats life. Times change. Things change. If you are a smart person, you will adapt like the rest of the world will. If there's no need for newspapers anymore, then there's no need. There's plenty of industries that have died, and there's plenty that will be born. The world has to adapt.
    being smart doesn't have anything to do with it when you can't find a job and have to go in another field or go back to college. yea it does suck having to take a 5% paycut and knowing you've on a sinking ship for some time now but still need that sinking ship to get by in life like i do.
    Just be positive. Give it all to keep your job alive, but understand there is a bigger picture. It would suck not having a job, but you can survive, and make the best of the little things.

I never found a job that represented my degree and ended up doing something else, but I am grateful for what I have and how I adapted. If you try hard enough, you will find a job. I live in Illinois, a very fucked up state and besides one buddy who works in construction, I have no unemployed friends, many who've had no problem finding new jobs.. you just have to keep your nose up.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    papers have been dying for a long time and will continue to do so. they need to get with the times and publish on line or they will dye. and before we feel bad, less we forget about all the jobs lost in buggy making. it's evolution baby.

an old ceo once said, you are either growing or you are dying. papers are dying.

but i still by one every few weeks when i go to lunch. i prefer to read a rag to read it on my phone....but these new superphones and tablets (ipad) is only going to speed the process of print papers demise.

it's the truth, to deny is to stick your head in the sand.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    papers have been dying for a long time and will continue to do so. they need to get with the times and publish on line or they will dye. and before we feel bad, less we forget about all the jobs lost in buggy making. it's evolution baby.

an old ceo once said, you are either growing or you are dying. papers are dying.

but i still by one every few weeks when i go to lunch. i prefer to read a rag to read it on my phone....but these new superphones and tablets (ipad) is only going to speed the process of print papers demise.

in 13 years what will children be wrapping their tobacco with?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i've worked for a music company for the last 18 years, you wana talk about a dying business.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    less we forget blockbuster?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i still get the sunday inquirer delivered....read everything else on my phone mostly though.
    www.myspace.com
  • matabelematabele Posts: 277
    Why don't newspapers start transferring their stuff to digital, ipads and such things are going to be the new newspapers. Sure the printing presses would stop and many would be out of a job but couldn't most of those people be retrained for the digital production.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    matabele wrote:
    Why don't newspapers start transferring their stuff to digital, ipads and such things are going to be the new newspapers. Sure the printing presses would stop and many would be out of a job but couldn't most of those people be retrained for the digital production.

Almost every newspaper has.
    It has just been difficult to find a way to make money with the new format.
    However, digital advertising is evolving, and I am sure many companies will find a way to make digital news profitable.
    It just may not be as profitable as the print industry.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I work for a newspaper company, and this is the project our CEO is implementing. It's getting a lot of buzz throughout the industry, and could be a big step forward in the evolving newspaper landscape.
    http://jrcbenfranklinproject.wordpress.com/

The Journal Register Company’s Ben Franklin Project is an opportunity to re-imagine the newsgathering process with the focus on Digital First and Print Last. Using only free tools found on the Internet, the project will – from assigning to editing- create, publish and distribute news content on both the web and in print.

Traditionally the model has been for the reporter/editor to determine what should be covered and how it should be covered. That story would then weave its way through the journalistic process – reporters gathering facts from the usual stable of sources and the editors guiding the efforts – before ending on the printed page. From there the vast majority of newspapers have then pushed those stories onto the web. They are literally going from a slow medium to fast. And that’s just backwards both in timing and audience desires.

Not here.

The Ben Franklin Project opens the process and allows everyone to participate at whatever level they are comfortable. Adhering to Journal Register’s digital first mission, the Ben Franklin Project will empower the audience – through use of free web-based tools (the list of which is still being finalized) – to determine on what stories our reporting and editing staff should be focusing their efforts. The audience – the news consumer – will no longer simply be the end user. By transforming the process the traditional “end user” will be put at the beginning of the process when she helps shape the newsgathering and participates in the newsgathering.

Yes, the reporters will still report and the editors will still edit. The difference in the Ben Franklin project is that the journalists will be accountable throughout – not simply after the story reaches deadline and is delivered to the audience. The staff members involved in the Ben Franklin project will ensure their reporting process is transparent as to encourage full participation from the audience. Reporters will document their newsgathering online thus providing the audience opportunity to question, guide and join the process.

All of this will start with the assigning process. To truly engage our readership we must know they are interested in reading, watching and consuming what is reported. The legacy measurements of circulation, sales and even the modern metrics of unique visitors and page views only measure reader interest after the fact. By providing a platform where users can suggest stories, vote for story assignments and/or opening contribute (information, sources, data, etc.), the Ben Franklin Project will create an open-sourced assignment desk. And, the process will continue as readers track story developments online. Stories that not judged worthy by the audience could be dismissed while those that may have been dismissed under a legacy model could find new life.

And since the Journal Register Company, is a for-profit-business, the project will be expanded to include our efforts in advertising sales, customer relationship management and financial reporting – again, we will be using only free web-based tools.

We are asking our employees and the public to help us in any way they choose – from what you think we should cover, once we announce which of our publications will be participating, to the web-based free tools they think we should use. You can comment here or follow the project on Twitter @ #jrcbenfranklin or comment on JRC’s CEO John Paton’s blog at http://jxpaton.wordpress.com.

The second phase of the Ben Franklin Project is for all 18 Journal Register Company daily publications to publish — both online and in print — on July 4, 2010 using only free web-based tools.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:

in 13 years what will children be wrapping their tobacco with?

Or house train puppies on?
  • matabelematabele Posts: 277
    It is quite sad really, newspapers used to be great but these days they seem to load them up with stuff that seems that it's just there to fill up the pages. You need a strong back to carry the Sunday papers home these days.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    metsfan wrote:

damn internet

:thumbup:

As much as I like the paper, I'm all for reducing our use of trees and minimizing our amount of garbage.

On the other hand, I love print design and it is ultimately what I am studying to hopefully one day do for my career...so, perhaps investing in the knowledge of web design was a good idea. :? :lol:

Seriously though, some journalists, editors, etc... may be losing employment for a while, and that's not cool.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2