Anyone ever donated a kidney?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Have you ever donated a kidney or do you know someone who has? How'd it go?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jmsjms Posts: 243
    I gave one to somebody almost 5 years ago. It has gone very well for them so far. It did hurt about as bad as anything I've done but it was worth it.

You thinking of donating or know someone that is?
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    jms wrote:
    I gave one to somebody almost 5 years ago. It has gone very well for them so far. It did hurt about as bad as anything I've done but it was worth it.

You thinking of donating or know someone that is?

It hurt post-op? How long was the recovery? Had you ever had surgery before? Do you mind if I ask who you donated it to?

I'm thinking of donating. I mean, I plan to donate if I'm a match, so I'm not really asking for info here to help me make the decision; I just want to know what to expect if I am a match.

Thanks so much for the info!! :)
    I had it done on a monday I believe and they let me go home on Friday. I gave it to a family member and we were a very close match. Even after going home I needed some help around the house for about a week or so. I work for myself so I don't recall how long I was out of work but if you do manual labor you will be out a while.
    I had never even been to hospital for anything more serious than a broken bone so I didn't know what to expect. First day is rough but it gets easier every day.

Go to gym and get in as good a shape as you can before surgery. It will help a great deal. Even if you just walk a couple of miles a day it will help.

I will try to find this thread a little later because I want to answer any qusetions you might have about it. Feel free to PM me as well. I promise you if you are doing this for somebody you care about this will be the best thing you ever do.

And girls like the scar so that's a bonus as well.
    jms wrote:
    I had it done on a monday I believe and they let me go home on Friday. I gave it to a family member and we were a very close match. Even after going home I needed some help around the house for about a week or so. I work for myself so I don't recall how long I was out of work but if you do manual labor you will be out a while.
    I had never even been to hospital for anything more serious than a broken bone so I didn't know what to expect. First day is rough but it gets easier every day.

Go to gym and get in as good a shape as you can before surgery. It will help a great deal. Even if you just walk a couple of miles a day it will help.

I will try to find this thread a little later because I want to answer any qusetions you might have about it. Feel free to PM me as well. I promise you if you are doing this for somebody you care about this will be the best thing you ever do.

And girls like the scar so that's a bonus as well.

:lol::lol: I am a girl. But maybe if girls like your scar, I'll like mine. :D Maybe they should use that as a selling point to get men to donate kidneys though: Give a kidney and you're more likely to get laid. :lol:

That's really great to know about the exercise. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. I keep meaning to get back to the gym, so now I have motivation to get right on it! I have had surgery once, but it was an emergency so I didn't really have time to prepare. I didn't even have too much time to be scared. I'm a big giant wimp when it comes to medical procedures. Like, I'm terrified of medical procedures. So I'm worried that my nerves might be a problem. But with my other surgery, I was perfectly fine after they put Ativan in my IV. It was only laparoscopic, though, so they didn't even admit me. So this will be a more major surgery, which I haven't had before.

I'm kind of concerned about the logistics, like time off work and travel time/expenses. The recipient lives across the country. I would work it out, of course, but I'm just trying to think about how. Like, how does one travel back home across the country after they've just been discharged from the hospital? And I live alone with an upstairs bedroom, so someone would probably have to help me out. After my other surgery, I stayed with my sister for a few days. I guess donating might need to be a team effort, so I should probably set up a team. :) I hope it's not selfish to put my family in that position where they need to help me. Also, how long from the beginning of your screening 'til your actual surgery? I would need to get everything prepared at work to take time off. And I'm planning to go to rural Kenya sometime in the next year. I wonder if that would be a problem. We're going to help set up a system to increase the community's access to medical care, so I know there's not much access to medical care there. :lol:

My only reservation is that, since the recipient is not a family member, I'm concerned about the possibility that my twin sister or another family member could need a kidney some day and I won't have one to spare. I'm kind of a pack rat, I guess; I like to keep things around in case I might need them later. But what are the chances? We don't even know our blood types, so for all I know I wouldn't even be able to give her my organs anyway. She's going to try to get her blood typed, and I'll be getting mine typed for this transplant screening, so that way if she (my sister) and I don't match I won't feel like I'm doing a disservice to her. She's not at all concerned about that though; she's concerned about my health.

I probably shouldn't worry yet since I don't even know if I'm a match. I just want to be as prepared as possible and think of everything so there are no surprises - physical, logistical, or emotional.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, really. Sorry. I really, really appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you so much! :)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Good for you SCB! :):):)
    Even if you aren't a match, you've still shown how big of a heart you've got!

Organ donation is like the ultimate deed of unselfishness
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:

Thanks! And if you really want to know how big my heart is... the recipient is a Republican!! :shock: :o:lol:;)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,032
    scb wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Thanks! And if you really want to know how big my heart is... the recipient is a Republican!! :shock: :o:lol:;)
    they do say, to affect the best change , you have to work the system from the inside!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    scb wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

LOL!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    mickeyrat wrote:
    scb wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

they do say, to affect the best change , you have to work the system from the inside!!!! :mrgreen:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I wouldn't want to give away my kidney, I got enough medical problems and without a kidney I'd have a way worse time with my body.

But good for you and those who have gone through with it, very kind and brave of you
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
    I had a two story townhouse at the time and I was able to go up and down the stairs once I got home but I found it was more comfortable sleeping downstairs in my recliner for about a week. Also my food schedule went like this at hospital ... Day 1...No food at all not even water chips by far the worst... Day 2 ice chips... Days 3and 4 jello and soup broth only. Day 5 I was able to eat anything but my appetite wasn't what it was. Even 3 weeks later at Christmas I wasn't eating like before.

I was sent home on a Friday and spent the weekend at my mom's before going home on Monday. Even when I went home I needed people to bring me food for a couple of days because of not driving on pain meds. Just ask a few of friends to visit once or twice a day until you feel up to taking care of yourself.

I would not fly home for at least a week after realeased from hospital, maybe more if it's a long flight.

Also I was on morphine for at least two days in hospital after procedure. THey sent me home with as many loritabs as I wanted but found for me after the first two or three days at home marijuana was the best thing for my pain. It loosened up the tightness in my side without making me a zombie.

It didn't take long to go from deciding we were going to do the transplant to getting it done.

Since you are female you might be concerned about the scar. It is noticable when my shirt is off but not too bad anymore.

The person I gave it to felt a little bit of guilt so you may want to talk to your friend about that. I understand that's natural for many recepients.

The worst part at the hospital was the catheter. They make you walk a bunch after surgery and that thing is pretty uncomfortable

I kept a small journal about it but it hasn't turned up yet. Again please feel free to PM me about any questions you might have that you don't feel confortable asking here. Also any questions your friend may have I can probably answer.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I couldn't do it. I'm a freak about medical stuff and I would go crazy knowing someones gonna cut into me and take something out. And I would be afraid I might need it back someday. I would do it for my kids but that's it. Good for you! That's a great thing to do.
    I'll be back
    jms wrote:
    I had a two story townhouse at the time and I was able to go up and down the stairs once I got home but I found it was more comfortable sleeping downstairs in my recliner for about a week. Also my food schedule went like this at hospital ... Day 1...No food at all not even water chips by far the worst... Day 2 ice chips... Days 3and 4 jello and soup broth only. Day 5 I was able to eat anything but my appetite wasn't what it was. Even 3 weeks later at Christmas I wasn't eating like before.

I was sent home on a Friday and spent the weekend at my mom's before going home on Monday. Even when I went home I needed people to bring me food for a couple of days because of not driving on pain meds. Just ask a few of friends to visit once or twice a day until you feel up to taking care of yourself.

I would not fly home for at least a week after realeased from hospital, maybe more if it's a long flight.

Also I was on morphine for at least two days in hospital after procedure. THey sent me home with as many loritabs as I wanted but found for me after the first two or three days at home marijuana was the best thing for my pain. It loosened up the tightness in my side without making me a zombie.

It didn't take long to go from deciding we were going to do the transplant to getting it done.

Since you are female you might be concerned about the scar. It is noticable when my shirt is off but not too bad anymore.

The person I gave it to felt a little bit of guilt so you may want to talk to your friend about that. I understand that's natural for many recepients.

The worst part at the hospital was the catheter. They make you walk a bunch after surgery and that thing is pretty uncomfortable

I kept a small journal about it but it hasn't turned up yet. Again please feel free to PM me about any questions you might have that you don't feel confortable asking here. Also any questions your friend may have I can probably answer.

So it sounds like my first two tasks to prepare are 1) hit the gym, and 2) start smoking pot. :lol: Sounds like it's a great weight-loss plan, and I shouldn't worry about the scar since I don't go around shirtless in public very often (and I wouldn't want to spend any time shirtless in front of anyone who would be bothered by a scar anyway).

It's the catheter that I fear the most! I've never had a catheter and the thought has always been very frightening, but recently I had to hold down my great-grandmother while they put a catheter in her and it was one of the most traumatic experiences of either of our lives. If it were my life on the line, I'd rather they let me die than put in a catheter unless I'm completely drugged. And I'm only kind of kidding. Please tell me they didn't put in the catheter until you were anesthetized.

Also, if I don't fly home for a week, I'm not really sure where I would stay or who would stay with me. I wouldn't want to impose on my friend's family, especially since they'll already be having to deal with her. Did you have to travel very far for your surgery?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I worked in a transplant ICU my first year as a nurse. Transplant centers in the US have a whole team, including social services, who will help you sort this out and answer all your questions... And having someone here who can give you a donor's perspective is huge.

They'll do a detailed screening to figure out if you are able to donate. It's helpful if you are prepared to give details of your own, and your family's, medical history. At least back to grandparents, and including cousins.

In my experience, the urinary catheter is placed in the OR, after the induction of anesthesia. It's unfortunate your grandmother had such a bad experience, also somewhat unusual. The catheter is removed as quickly as possible postoperatively. The balloon anchoring it in the bladder is deflated and it slips right out.

Good luck working this out!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    I know a guy who had to donate his kidney to his friend over a coin toss.

He ended up dying during the recovery process though. He went to heaven and was welcomed by Dustin Hoffman and Sasha Baron Cohen but then got in a fight with Dustin Hoffman over a Sopranos DVD and was then sent back to his body and brought back to life.

He's healthy now though.

This probably doesn't help much.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    I worked in a transplant ICU my first year as a nurse. Transplant centers in the US have a whole team, including social services, who will help you sort this out and answer all your questions... And having someone here who can give you a donor's perspective is huge.

They'll do a detailed screening to figure out if you are able to donate. It's helpful if you are prepared to give details of your own, and your family's, medical history. At least back to grandparents, and including cousins.

In my experience, the urinary catheter is placed in the OR, after the induction of anesthesia. It's unfortunate your grandmother had such a bad experience, also somewhat unusual. The catheter is removed as quickly as possible postoperatively. The balloon anchoring it in the bladder is deflated and it slips right out.

See, I knew this board would provide a wealth of information! Thank you. :)

I already spoke with the lady who coordinates the potential donors and gave her all my medical history and I passed that step. She was very helpful with answering questions too, and super-nice. It's always great to have good people working in those types of positions. Next up is a big information packet that I have to acknowledge having received and understood and then orders for labs to test blood type.

That's REALLY good to know about the catheter! When I had my appendectomy they said they were going to put in a catheter but they never did. (I think it's because I had told them going in that I really had to pee and when I woke up post-op they said they were sending me home as soon as I could pee. Since they never had drained my bladder that happened ASAP! :lol: )
    I know a guy who had to donate his kidney to his friend over a coin toss.

He ended up dying during the recovery process though. He went to heaven and was welcomed by Dustin Hoffman and Sasha Baron Cohen but then got in a fight with Dustin Hoffman over a Sopranos DVD and was then sent back to his body and brought back to life.

He's healthy now though.

This probably doesn't help much.

No, that's super-helpful! If I die, I'll know to pick a fight with someone in Heaven.

Why do you always have to have a catheter? Having a tube shoved up my.... But that's not all, they blow up a balloon once it's up there. Fuck that. Let me die at home.
    I'll be back
    They put the catheter in while I was unconsious. It was only in for a couple of days. The worst part is you have to get up and walk around after the procedure. The more you are up the faster you recover but the more you are up walking the more you feel the discomfort of the catheter. I still recomend getting up as much as possible. Also the morphine might make your stomach a bit queesy. I didn't getr sick but I did feel a bit naucious at times.

When it was time to take it out they made sure I hit the morphine button so it wasnt too bad.

I had great dr's and nurses any time they came in to do something that might cause pain they had me hit my button. I had met my night shift nurse years before the transplant so that made it a little easier for me as well.
    Also your last physical exam is very comprehensive. I was at the hospital all day doing interviews, x rays, labs, ekg and a cat scan. I think I was there from about 8am til 4 pm. Most of the time I was just sitting in a waiting room so hopefully you won't have to wait as long
    jms wrote:
    Also your last physical exam is very comprehensive. I was at the hospital all day doing interviews, x rays, labs, ekg and a cat scan. I think I was there from about 8am til 4 pm. Most of the time I was just sitting in a waiting room so hopefully you won't have to wait as long

Yeah, I heard about that part. It's good that they are so thorough.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I think it's great that you're considering this. I'm on the bone marrow donor list and I'm a regular blood donor, it's my way of helping others. I'm not rich, so I can't always donate money, so I donate a part of myself.

It's a great feeling, and I wish more people would do it.

Good job to jms for doing his part.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    No.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

Why do you always have to have a catheter? Having a tube shoved up my.... But that's not all, they blow up a balloon once it's up there. Fuck that. Let me die at home.

The catheter is so you won't pee all over yourself and the OR table (and potentially surgical field) during the procedure. You always get IV fluids intraoperatively, so even if you empty your bladder right before you get anesthesia, you'll still make urine during the operation (assuming you have a healthy renal system). It's essential in some procedures, like the nephrectomy, because it's not a quick procedure, and because measuring urine output and performing testing on urine samples is important for the assessment of postoperative kidney function.

The balloon is at the tip of the catheter, inside the bladder. It's inflated gently with about 10cc of fluid. The balloon then acts as an anchor of sorts because it's too big to fit in the urethra so the catheter can't slip out.

Urinary catheter-associated infections are increasingly less frequent because so much attention is now being paid to preventing them by only placing the catheters when absolutely needed, using meticulous sterile technique, and then removing them at the earliest possible opportunity.

Thus concludes today's lesson on the draining of bodily fluids.

Now, tell me you don't feel the urge to pee... ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

The catheter is so you won't pee all over yourself and the OR table (and potentially surgical field) during the procedure. You always get IV fluids intraoperatively, so even if you empty your bladder right before you get anesthesia, you'll still make urine during the operation (assuming you have a healthy renal system). It's essential in some procedures, like the nephrectomy, because it's not a quick procedure, and because measuring urine output and performing testing on urine samples is important for the assessment of postoperative kidney function.

The balloon is at the tip of the catheter, inside the bladder. It's inflated gently with about 10cc of fluid. The balloon then acts as an anchor of sorts because it's too big to fit in the urethra so the catheter can't slip out.

Urinary catheter-associated infections are increasingly less frequent because so much attention is now being paid to preventing them by only placing the catheters when absolutely needed, using meticulous sterile technique, and then removing them at the earliest possible opportunity.

F that. I'll wear a diaper. If they want a pee sample they can wait until I'm awake or before I wake they can open the diaper and blow cold air on my willie until I pee everywhere. No tube!!!
    I'll be back

Thanks for the lesson. :lol: When my great-grandmother was catheterized recently she had what seemed lik a constant urge to pee. So how long is the procedure anyway?